Unlimited access >

How much should I charge to babysit a dog with separation anxiety?

I feel like if you’ve already agreed to do the next weekend at X price, you should do the next weekend at X price. Your word is your word.

5 Likes

I would agree with this under normal circumstances. I think the most recent weekend at the OPs house for the first time brought to light a whole host of issues, that rightly need to be taking into consideration cost wise if she chooses to continue sitting for the dog at her house.

OP I agree with all the comments about being direct with the issues to the owners and now is the time to have the conversation, right after this recent weekend.

I know a couple people that have dogs with severe separation anxiety and another couple that have dogs that have trust issues. All these people wouldn’t fathom putting a sitter through dealing with their dogs, and have accommodated their own lives for the dogs. IE, dogs go with when they travel. The dog owners need to put in some time to work with the separation anxiety and training of this dog for a while in my opinion. If she becomes more manageable after that then great! If not, and you are willing to work with her, you need to be fairly compensated.

2 Likes

This is too black and white. Real life isn’t just about “your word” at all costs.

The OP should definitely touch base with the owner and let them know that the dog struggled and she struggled. As a dog owner, I’d be angry to think that the dog sitter begrudgingly took the dog back into a not-so-great situation without telling me. There could be things that the OP could change that would help and still allow for the weekend to work out – anti-anxiety meds, a crate, and a backup plan. And, yeah, it might actually cost more.

And then the owners can decide if they think it’s still worthwhile - maybe they have another option that they would be happy to try if option #1 doesn’t work out.

4 Likes

Chiming in to join the chorus singing No. Tell the owners you are not able to watch this dog any longer. Justify as little as possible. They know it all anyway, they live with the dog!

I know professionals who will not take on such cases because of the impossibility; definitely not without a behaviorist on the team, medication on board, and a b-mod plan in action.

No amount of money is worth this. It is not helping the dog. Tell them no more. Suggest they find a board certified veterinary behaviorist. :orange_heart:

2 Likes

I think it’s fair to say to them that the dog’s needs were greater than anticipated and that you’d have to charge more to take her again. How much more depends on what amount would make you comfortable taking on the task. Don’t think about whether it’s too much for the owners - that’s their job - but think about what would make you happy to do it given your situation. If they don’t want to pay you that, they have time to find another sitter or a kennel.

1 Like

Might go better if you watch her at their place for the next weekend? Pet sitters house sit all the time.

At this late date they may not be able to find other arrangements and while it will be a major inconvenience, you have already promised to watch the dog and it isn’t the dogs fault she has anxiety.

If you want to back out after that weekend I wouldn’t blame you.

1 Like