Unlimited access >

How much should I charge to babysit a dog with separation anxiety?

Hi all,

I’ve been helping this young couple for a few months watching their dog for them for short periods of time while they go out to dinner or drinks at night. They live in an apartment building and their neighbors get really mad if they hear the dog barking at all, and it’s a 1.5 year old English Springer Spaniel with a lot of separation anxiety.

They had been paying me $25/hour for visits like that, and I would just go over to their apartment and hang with the dog until they get home. She can be pretty high maintenance, if she’s not getting enough attention she’ll look for forbidden items to steal to provoke you into playing with her, but usually she’d settle down with me after the first hour or so.

So this past weekend I agreed to take her to my house for the whole weekend… I wasn’t sure how much to charge bc obviously $25/hour would be outrageous and I already felt somewhat guilty wondering if I was overcharging them even for that, so I asked for $100/night for 3 nights.

Well after spending the weekend with her I’m wondering if I actually need to ask them for more… this dog is absolutely insane!!! I unfortunately had already agreed to take her for another weekend in a month or so, so I won’t screw them over by backing out of that, but maybe a little pay raise would make it feel more worth it to me…

She cannot be left alone at all for even a second in the house or else she’s getting into something she shouldn’t. I ended up just literally staying home from Thursday-Sunday and keeping her on a leash with me most of the time she was inside. She would settle down pretty well once she was on the leash but even then sometimes she’d get bored and just start barking at me for more playtime. She would go on 5-6 walks each day, go to the dog park and zoom around with friends, and still need more interaction and stimulation. I’d give her kongs and bones and lick mats which would help for awhile but it’s the fact that I have to be constantly watching her and literally couldn’t even shower without bringing her into the bathroom with me that really was just incredibly exhausting.

I actually did end up doing some free training with her as well because I simply had to; she’s a horrible puller on the leash especially if she saw a squirrel or any bird, and bringing my fanny pack of treats and my clicker to work on a heel was something that I just had to do to make the walks even slightly bearable. I also worked on a “drop it” cue with her, something I don’t think her owners have ever tried, because she kept picking up any item she could find as her go-to bid for attention and that is not only annoying but dangerous!

They also did not give me a crate for her but I think I’m going to request it next time because a crate is just crucial for any dog like this. They just expected me to be ok with her sleeping in my bed with me and my boyfriend which was super annoying but I get it for a dog with separation anxiety, however at least having the option and possibility of putting her in the crate would’ve been nice.

I also had to completely neglect my own dog attention-wise the entire weekend which I’m not sure he’s forgiven me for yet; any walks he went on I just had to bring her too because I couldn’t leave her at home so I had to be walking two dogs at once at least a few times a day.

They did give me medication to give her if I had to leave her alone, which this weekend I just didn’t leave her at all, but that also makes me nervous as someone who’s not really a professional dog sitter and never had to do that before!

Anyways, all of this is to say, would you ask them for more money for the next weekend visit and if so how much?

1 Like

You couldn’t pay me enough to do this. Your whole weekend is shot. You need to back out of the deal and have the couple send her to a trainer and kennel.

11 Likes

Yeah I had no idea how bad it was really going to be! I did ask them which kennel they use just to compare pricing and they’re definitely going to spend less even for the most expensive kennel package… but she’s obviously probably kept in a crate / a room with a ton of other dogs that entire time, which honestly might be preferable to her than sitting in my office with me on a leash while I work from home :joy: so maybe I can spin it that way somehow

The dogs long term welfare and development are on the owners and not you. Do not take this dog a second time. It’s up to the owners how they solve her issues.

You are completely within your rights to say the dog is unmanageable and disruptive at your house and you had no idea how bad it would be. You do not need to sugar coat or present alternatives or make excuses. Just say you cannot do this agsin because the dog is impossible to walk, impossible to keep in the house, and completely untrained. Off the charts impossible. They need to hear this because so many pet owners in dysfunctional pet situations end up accommodating and perpetuating terrible things as normal.

You cannot take on this amount of disruption a second time. You owe them nothing.

10 Likes

Dollars to donuts the dog makes a racket if you put it in a crate. If it didn’t, the owners would crate the dog for date night.

Soo. I’d totally back out.

“Hey guys, I know I agreed to take Puppers for two weekends but after keeping her this past time … I just can’t. I’m gonna have to back out.”

But that’s just me. If you are sure you want to keep the dog again I’d charge double. At least. And resign yourself to either having the dog attached to your hip or listening to her howl in the crate.

5 Likes

I have to admit that I saw the name of your post and immediately thought “No amount of money would be enough.” Then your details confirmed it.

I feel bad for dogs like this, and their owners, but you’re in a no-win situation here.

7 Likes

I feel like I actually found myself doing this too because I kept being like, at least she is potty trained! At least she’s sweet to other dogs and humans and isn’t aggressive in any way!

I do kind of wonder if maybe she’s not as bad with her own mom and dad because it kind of seemed like by day 3 she started to calm down a little bit, so maybe they just don’t realize it??

I used to actually dog sit a lot but I quit because I am soooo bad at like being brutally honest and hate telling people no and feel like I need to be accommodating and it was literally taking over my life to take care of other people’s dogs.

But I have all these vet bills that I desperately need to catch up on so I honestly might still watch her that second weekend just so that I can scrounge up that little bit of cash; I’m very far behind on my credit card :frowning:

2 Likes

If you really want to do it again (because you need the dollars or you feel sorry for the dog or whatever, no judgement!) charge for what you’re doing here: an intensive, full hands on, training boot camp. You’re full time teaching this dog how to be a reasonable member of society. It’s sad that her people never did that, but if they want to pony up the cash to have you do it, everyone–dog & people–will probably be a hell of a lot happier for it.

I’d look around at trainers in your area and see what they charge to take the dog into their home & train it.

2 Likes

100% this.

You have time to work things out with them and try to improve things with the dog - if either or both can be done.

They have time to change their plans.

It is their dog. Their decision. Their life.

It is not your job to fix it for them. You can’t, anyway.

Do. Not. Delay. this discussion. Do not delay. Call them tonight. They deserve to have the time to arrange their life as they need to, to accommodate the dog as is their decision, not yours.

Good luck.

6 Likes

You need to tell them No. This dog is their problem, not yours.

Hi, Jane, I need to let you know that I will not be available to dogsit Bobbin anymore. I found it nearly impossible to manage her effectively and keep her safe without dedicating all nearly of my time to her. She’s more than I can comfortably take on. Thank you for your understanding.

REPEAT until it STICKS.

5 Likes

If you need to dogsit to make money find yourself some happy easy old dog clients. You are getting $300 to turn your life upside down for a long weekebd and mess up your other work from home. That’s not a good choice. You would not have agreed if you knew how bad the dog would be. Now you know. $300 is fine for passive income keeping an eye on a sweet old lab that just wants to limp around back yard and sit and watch squirrels. It’s crazy undervaluing your time for a problem dog that turns your life upside down.

4 Likes

Plus, you know it’s not going to just be the next weekend, right? They’ll keep asking, you’ll keep saying yes. They’re probably planning their 2-week vacation as we speak.

5 Likes

Just reading this made me anxious! And yes, I’ve watched a dog that would get nervous and howl if I went to the bathroom. It’s so unnerving not to be able to be alone, just to do normal human functions!

How do they cope with this in their own lives? How did they end up getting a dog in the first place?

1 Like

A friend had a dog who has since passed…they tried to crate him without ample ramp up and training time…he literally destroyed his upper jaw trying to pry his way out. Mega $$$$$ surgery to patch him back together. Do you really want to risk such panic sitting someone else’s bananas dog?

Well, seems like there were a lot of missed steps in the first weekend. Any dog with known separation anxiety is likely to be a basket case in a new environment, so taking it away from home probably made it a lot worse. But yes, I would never take any dog into my home without a crate, and know whether or not it will use one. My dogs are in their crates every single day; it’s part of normal life for most dogs (or should be!) I probably also would have wanted to have some anti-anxiety meds from the vet since the people know that their dog has separation anxiety - they must have a medical plan for certain situations? (Or they should!)

So, I would consider the following -

1. I would tell the couple that their dog needs vet intervention for separation anxiety; for at home or anywhere else.
  2. I would tell the couple that their dog would probably do best with an in-home sitter, presuming there is a way that the person can actually leave home without the dog barking. (Do they never leave home?)
  3. I would recommend that they seek a vet-approved trainer to help them deal with the separation anxiety.

If you then decide that you are still interested/willing to take the dog to your house, I would only do it with the following conditions -

1. that you can medicate the dog as needed;
  2. that the dog is crate trained before then;
  3. that you have a backup plan/kennel/other person in case it gets really bad.
  4. And I would charge at least $100/night plus another $100 or so for a 2 day weekend just for the hassle factor

My guess is they won’t be willing to spend the money or put in these steps, but I agree with above posts that I would remind them that dogs like this tend to end up in bad situations. What will happen if they need to go out of town for a funeral; what if one of them gets sick, etc… So I would definitely push the training & vet visit.

5 Likes

It seems so weird that they would expect a dog sitter to share their own bed with someone else’s dog and their partner. I’m old enough to remember when crate training wasn’t the norm, but usually then a dog would be able to sleep on a familiar bed in an unfamiliar house.

Re: the meds, I’d also check to see how “easy” the dog is about taking pills.

I know it’s not technically your responsibility, but I’d have a little heart-to-heart with the owners, regardless. If this is their one dog, and they haven’t owned many, they might not understand how abnormal this this.

Interestingly enough, the other dog I knew with similar separation anxiety issues was also a spaniel!

1 Like

Just say “NO”
and tell them BECAUSE
*** They need to seek professional help for their dog’s wellbeing going forward NOW !

1 Like

It sounds like you feel obligated, and I understand that. See if you can gently up the rate and find out more about the dosage and side effects of the anti anxiety drug. You can also ask your own vet about the medication, if you have that kind of relationship with your vet.

Good luck to you for the next pet sitting weekend! Hopefully, it goes more smoothly with the magic of chemistry.

This is a very young neurotic dog. Hopefully, they calm down a bit, but it will take some time.

I would stop dog sitting for them too. If its a money thing, jump on the nextdoor app for your location and offer your services to find new clients.

Springer Spaniel and an apartment = recipe for disaster.

5 Likes

Is the dog on medication for separation anxiety? If not, I’d really push the owners to start one ASAP. Even better if the owners meet with a behaviorist to put together a treatment plan.

It sounds like the poor dog’s anxiety is crippling at this point, which is bad for the dog, the owners, and you. There is nothing wrong with backing out of the upcoming dog-sitting. Absolutely nothing!

3 Likes