Unlimited access >

How often to ride a horse?

I would strongly, strongly recommend you have someone who knows you (trainer, friend with more experience) help with the horse search, especially when it comes to going to try out the horses.

Ask your instructor to help you find an appropriate horse to buy.

OP, here’s the link she sent me
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8XEvMKal_PU
She says she’s got some others that would suit also - I had posted an ISO on a hunt horse FB site looking for a horse that would hack out quietly for a less experienced rider and do some very low level dressage and jump around a 2’6" course in the ring. Hope that helps…

If you buy a horse and ride two times a week and amotorize the cost per ride, you may (I hope ) rethink this plan. You will end up spending a HUGE amount “per ride”, if you include purchase price of horse, pre-purchase exam, board, Lessons, training and all equipment…divided by riding twice a week!
For example, if you figure on a total expenditure of $10,000 on horse, all equipment, basic vet bills (assuming absolutely nothing goes wrong in that time frame) and board for six months, you come up with a $208.33 COST TO YOU PER RIDE. That’s before lessons, add the lesson cost to that per/ride cost.

If you take lessons you have NO liability for vet bills and will ride the same number of days at a FRACTION of the cost to you…If you want more Horsie time, stay longer after lessons and volunteer to help at the barn to do a modified working student position.

Here’s a template for avoiding making a very expensive mistake in buying the wrong horse…or any horse at the wrong time:

1. research facilities and trainers in your area. Go watch every trainer give a lesson to some one close to YOUR experience level.

2. start taking lessons on both days you can ride every week. It will be FAR less expensive and more educational to your riding than buying a horse and winging it.

3. develop a relationship with the trainer of your choice, and after your skills have progresses, ask them to assist you in finding a partial lease at their facility.

4. after you’ve leased for a year or so, have a meeting with the trainer about purchasing. Talk about your goals, skills and financial constraints. Form a plan and make a shopping list.

5. start shopping and enlist the trainer in this process so you don’t get burned.

I’ve been thinking about to about this thread and the reactions from people who said I should stay away from a 3-yr old. So I thought I would clarify my situation to see if the opinions remain the same and if they are, then that’s fine too.

I recently (2 months ago) started with a new coach. At the time I found her (I sought her out) I found out that she was training a horse of hers to sell (said 3-yr old) and that he was already listed For sale. I didn’t say that I was interested in buying a horse, so pls don’t anyone assume that she’s trying to pull a fast-one on me). He has been the horse I’ve taken lessons on since I started with her. She has been training him a few days a week for several months and has also been teaching me how to handle him and train him. For example, he was a jerk on cross-ties last weekend (first time he’s been like this in the two months I’ve been riding him) and was clearly testing me–she showed me how to demand good behaviour on the ties and it hasn’t been a problem since then. I’m learning how to demand good manners. I’ve had him outside, hacking, had him with other animals in the arena (eg a frenetic baby goat) ad he was lovely. He is extremely quiet and not prone to spooking.

A month ago she showed him at a local dressage show at beginner level (his first show) and he behaved wonderfully (I was there to see him in action before and during the show)–no issues.

So, assuming he passed a vet check, and that I continue to take lessons with her and pay her to train him weekly when I’m not there, would everyone still agree that I’m asking for trouble if I purchase him?

Thanks!

[QUOTE=asterix;8194782]
OP, here’s the link she sent me
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8XEvMKal_PU
She says she’s got some others that would suit also - I had posted an ISO on a hunt horse FB site looking for a horse that would hack out quietly for a less experienced rider and do some very low level dressage and jump around a 2’6" course in the ring. Hope that helps…[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[QUOTE=Horseyker;8199654]
I’ve been thinking about to about this thread and the reactions from people who said I should stay away from a 3-yr old. So I thought I would clarify my situation to see if the opinions remain the same and if they are, then that’s fine too.

I recently (2 months ago) started with a new coach. At the time I found her (I sought her out) I found out that she was training a horse of hers to sell (said 3-yr old) and that he was already listed For sale. I didn’t say that I was interested in buying a horse, so pls don’t anyone assume that she’s trying to pull a fast-one on me). He has been the horse I’ve taken lessons on since I started with her. She has been training him a few days a week for several months and has also been teaching me how to handle him and train him. For example, he was a jerk on cross-ties last weekend (first time he’s been like this in the two months I’ve been riding him) and was clearly testing me–she showed me how to demand good behaviour on the ties and it hasn’t been a problem since then. I’m learning how to demand good manners. I’ve had him outside, hacking, had him with other animals in the arena (eg a frenetic baby goat) ad he was lovely. He is extremely quiet and not prone to spooking.

A month ago she showed him at a local dressage show at beginner level (his first show) and he behaved wonderfully (I was there to see him in action before and during the show)–no issues.

So, assuming he passed a vet check, and that I continue to take lessons with her and pay her to train him weekly when I’m not there, would everyone still agree that I’m asking for trouble if I purchase him?[/QUOTE]

Agreed except that my husband will also be taking lessons and there will be weeks where I can ride much more. I’d say 2 is the average for a standard week.

[QUOTE=arlosmine;8194855]
If you buy a horse and ride two times a week and amotorize the cost per ride, you may (I hope ) rethink this plan. You will end up spending a HUGE amount “per ride”, if you include purchase price of horse, pre-purchase exam, board, Lessons, training and all equipment…divided by riding twice a week!
For example, if you figure on a total expenditure of $10,000 on horse, all equipment, basic vet bills (assuming absolutely nothing goes wrong in that time frame) and board for six months, you come up with a $208.33 COST TO YOU PER RIDE. That’s before lessons, add the lesson cost to that per/ride cost.

If you take lessons you have NO liability for vet bills and will ride the same number of days at a FRACTION of the cost to you…If you want more Horsie time, stay longer after lessons and volunteer to help at the barn to do a modified working student position.

Here’s a template for avoiding making a very expensive mistake in buying the wrong horse…or any horse at the wrong time:

1. research facilities and trainers in your area. Go watch every trainer give a lesson to some one close to YOUR experience level.

2. start taking lessons on both days you can ride every week. It will be FAR less expensive and more educational to your riding than buying a horse and winging it.

3. develop a relationship with the trainer of your choice, and after your skills have progresses, ask them to assist you in finding a partial lease at their facility.

4. after you’ve leased for a year or so, have a meeting with the trainer about purchasing. Talk about your goals, skills and financial constraints. Form a plan and make a shopping list.

5. start shopping and enlist the trainer in this process so you don’t get burned.[/QUOTE]

I know it’s an expensive endeavour. I guess my response is that for the past 3 years (since I’ve been back to riding regularly) I’m always at the mercy of another person when it comes to horse access. If your sport was bike riding, but you didn’t have your own bike, wouldn’t you fine it hard to excel when you were always having to ask someone else for a bike to borrow? You couldn’t tune it up, make changes to it or ever ride it for as long as you wanted when you wanted to. That’s been my experience with leasing/part boarding. I’m not a young person–I’m a middle-aged professional with a passion. My life isn’t getting any longer–I plan to pursue my passions now.

So, assuming he passed a vet check, and that I continue to take lessons with her and pay her to train him weekly when I’m not there, would everyone still agree that I’m asking for trouble if I purchase him?[/QUOTE]

How many times a week is he being ridden now? Would she consider leasing him to you for a month so that you can see how he does on this schedule? Do you have aspirations to compete him at a higher level than he is at now (he will probably not advance much on 3 rides a week)?

I would still say that an untrained 3yrs old is not the suitable horse you should look for.

What if this trainer suddenly disappear?

When you buy a horse, you need to be able to work it w/t/c and be comfortable working from the ground on your own from the day your try it. (Unless you know you can train properly a youngster). If not, it is usualy not worth it.

Spend more money for a suitable horse right now and spend extra on lessons to improve yourself.

I recently (2 months ago) started with a new coach. At the time I found her (I sought her out) I found out that she was training a horse of hers to sell (said 3-yr old) and that he was already listed For sale. I didn’t say that I was interested in buying a horse, so pls don’t anyone assume that she’s trying to pull a fast-one on me). He has been the horse I’ve taken lessons on since I started with her. She has been training him a few days a week for several months and has also been teaching me how to handle him and train him. For example, he was a jerk on cross-ties last weekend (first time he’s been like this in the two months I’ve been riding him) and was clearly testing me–she showed me how to demand good behaviour on the ties and it hasn’t been a problem since then. . [/QUOTE]

No. He’s going well for you in lessons because he’s also in a very steady training program with the trainer. You’re proposing to take him out of that.

If you were talking about buying him and keeping him in training/making it a project with the trainer for you to really learn the skills to bring him along, I’d say maybe. If you do that, you need to have the funds available to put him in full time training here and there if needed.

But he’s already testing you in ways that you don’t have the skills to handle, and you’re talking about backing down on the amount of professional handling he’d be getting.

So no.

No, listen to the posters who talk about the 4 & 5 year old years. It’s great that he’s so well-behaved as a 3 year old, BUT that doesn’t mean he’s not going to go through some serious years with challenging behavior. And it’s really important to work with many of them daily during those years (not intense workouts every day - just keeping the brain engaged).

Buy an older horse (10+ year old) who is already in a similar riding program. There are plenty of horses around who are fine being pulled out just for casual weekend riding, but you’re going to have to pay someone to exercise him a few times during the week if you want to do any serious work. It’s really easy to cause injury in a horse by riding them hard on weekends with no work during the week (so an inconsistent workout program).

If your coach is having you ride a 3 year old that is not yours, nor that you are leasing, then I would question her program. Any insurance company in Canada will not cover an instructor that uses horses under 5 years of age.

So, along with the above advice (that 3 years olds often go through challenging stages as they mature), I would not be comfortable with this situation.

Add me to the list of posters advising against it.

You could purchase him and he could end up being your perfect horse. But the odds are stacked against that happening.

I have started probably half a dozen horses from unbroken to green broke. I have just enough experience from my small 6+ horse study to tell you why it may not be the best idea.

When I was in my 20s and early 30s, I loved working with young horses. I didn’t have the experience yet to be truly fearful of all that could go wrong. I enjoyed the long process of developing a partnership and starting with a horse that was a blank slate.

As I aged and became more experienced, I realized the possibilities for getting injured. If you are an older weekend rider, you will not have as many miles in the saddle as someone who rides multiple horses daily. When the proverbial crap hits the fan, you often have to rely on muscle memory and skill to stay safe. If you don’t have that many rides under your belt, it makes you more vulnerable. If you lose your confidence, it makes it all the more scary.

I’m 55 and I think I’m done with starting young horses. I know my reaction times are not as fast and that I’m more cautious. I now pick horses that I know won’t challenge my deficits.

The problem with a 3 year old is what other posters have pointed out. They can be perfect at three and real brats from age 5-7. It seems to me that horses at age 7 or 8+ are pretty much what they seem to be. They probably won’t get any spookier, lazier, more athletic than what they are showing you now. That’s why they are a safer bet as a purchase. If they have been ridden consistently, you have a better idea of soundness issues. (Always get a PPE no matter how inexpensive the horse!)

I think you may enjoy a trained horse more because you can work on yourself a bit more than having to spend your time teaching your greenie. I have also found that riding a lot of green horses may cause you to become a more defensive type of rider. That may or may not become a problem for you later.

I fully support you following your dreams of horse ownership. I know that it’s hard to pass up on the first one that you like. I would try riding other horses and see what you feel most comfortable on-do you like horses that you have to push to go forward or do you like on that already has a motor?

Don’t be frustrated if it takes a while to find the right horse. It is a big commitment and one not to be taken lightly.

Good luck and welcome to COTH!!

In my opinion, no. Don’t buy this horse.

This horse is in a program with your trainer, and you ride him during your lessons. That’s different from you owning him and paying your trainer to replicate this situation. If you can ONLY ride on weekends, it seems pretty clear from your posts that this horse can’t just be ridden on weekends. You’ll have to pay your trainer to put additional rides on him.

VERY FEW horses are “happy” being “Weekend Warriors”. Even us humans don’t enjoy working out on Sat and Sun and doing nothing the rest of the week. You can’t maintain training this way, and you’ll never build the appropriate muscles for you or your horse riding only two days a week (do you work out during the week?), unless you’re happy doing very low level work or trail rides. If that’s the case, buy a safe mount who likes to do what you’re wanting to do. You’ll be soooooooooo much happier! And isn’t that what horse ownership is about?

[QUOTE=DJohn;8194493]
No matter what anyone says, the horse could care less how often you ride him/her!

Fitness wise, you won’t be able to get much out of the horse as you wont be able to ride him often enough to keep it up. It wouldn’t hurt a 3 year old to have a week off to graze and a few rides. Gives him time to grow. If you’re just putting around, get the horse. Just make sure the stuff you teach him is the stuff you want him to remember!

There are plenty of “weekend warriors” at my farm and their horses are happy as clams![/QUOTE]

I very much disagree. Horses very much do care how much you ride them. They retain information via reinforcement and muscle memory. If the horse is ridden only 2 days a week, the horse won’t retain this. If the 3-year old, 4-year old, 5-year old is only ridden twice a week, the horse just isn’t going to learn much.

Weekend warrior hoses are not necessarily “happy as clams”. You run 5-10 miles carrying 100-200 lbs on only Sat and Sun, and don’t exercise the rest of the week, and report back on how happy you are.

Our Hunt is full of weekend warriors.

I think the real question here is “how often to ride a young horse?”.

You can’t really train a young horse being a weekend warrior and make much, if any, progress. I agree with J-Lu’s points about muscle memory and reinforcement.

An older trained horse can be a weekend warrior without as much of an issue.

I think if you can only devote 2 days weekly to training a youngster, it would be better to buy an older trained horse at this point in your life.

I would look into an older more reliable horse. It would be VERY VERY VERY hard for a 3 year old to keep it together with only 2 rides a week. Not only would they retain very little, if any of their training, but they’d probably have a lot of energy and just make for an unpleasant ride. For a first time owner that’s not competing and not riding often, a quieter horse in it’s teens. No horse will be able to stay fit enough for any strenuouis work on a schedule like that, but for gentle flatwork and trail riding that would be fine.