Unlimited access >

How often to ride a horse?

If I’m considering buying a horse but know that I’ll only be able to ride him Saturday and Sunday for the foreseeable future, would that be enough exercise for the horse? He’s an extremely quiet 3-yr old and I’m an intermediate rider who only does equitation, no jumping or shows. Would any of you consider that unfair to the horse (ie is that somehow neglectful?) Also, would the horse be totally squirrelly on the weekends and hard to handle? Want to be sure what I’m getting myself into. Thanks for any insight! :slight_smile:
In the event that I wanted the horse to be exercised during the week, how would that work? Would I need to pay someone to do it or would they pay me for the ride-time?

You do not want a 3 year old.

[QUOTE=Horseyker;8194404]
If I’m considering buying a horse but know realistically that I’ll only be able to ride him Saturday and Sunday for the foreseeable future, would that be enough exercise for the horse? He’s an extremely quiet 3-yr old and I’m an intermediate rider who only does equitation, no jumping or shows. Would any of you consider that unfair to the horse (ie is that somehow neglectful?) Also, would the horse be totally squirrelly on the weekends and hard to handle? Want to be sure what I’m getting myself into. Thanks for any insight! :slight_smile:
In the event that I wanted the horse to be exercised during the week, how would that work? Would I need to pay someone to do it or would they pay me for the ride-time?[/QUOTE]

It really depends on the horse. I have a 4 year old ottb and sometimes I only get to ride him once a week due to the weather (no indoor ring) and he is fine. He is also turned out 14 hours a day though. My other horse a 12 year old quarter horse is a basket case if he isn’t worked everyday. As long as the horse is turned out for a significant period of time and has proper care I wouldn’t consider it neglectful. However, you can’t expect that horse to be fit enough to flat for 45 minutes non stop.

If you wanted the horse ridden more you could get a part boarder. They will generally pay you for the ride time. Saying that, if the horse is nuts or needs a lot of training they may ride for free or you may have to pay them.

while there are some 3yos that would be okay with that, I would argue that they’re the minority. Honestly, I think you’re better off finding a quiet, been-there-done-that horse who will be better suited to your riding schedule and experience level.

I would probably not half lease a 3 year old. I don’t think it’s neglectful to only ride on the weekends (assuming the horse gets a lot of turnout), but it’s a lot to expect for any horse, and especially a young one, to behave well without consistent work and you may not make any real progress. I would pay to have the horse ridden 1-2 times during the week at least for the first few months.

thanks, appreciate the feedback. :slight_smile:

The horse in question is a very quiet QH who lives outdoors so gets lots of turnout. But you’re right, he does still need training since he’s so young. Any recommendations as to a good age for a horse for a first-time buyer?

No. Don’t do it. This is a recipe for disaster.

Look for a partial-lease or a trainer that will let you sign up for two lessons per weekend. Save ownership for when you will have more time on your hands.

If you must own now, look for an older horse (10+ y/o) that is kept in the same type of situation. Expect to pay a trainer to ride it at least 2 (maybe 3) times during the week in order to keep it fit enough and happy enough for you to enjoy on the weekends.

No matter what anyone says, the horse could care less how often you ride him/her!

Fitness wise, you won’t be able to get much out of the horse as you wont be able to ride him often enough to keep it up. It wouldn’t hurt a 3 year old to have a week off to graze and a few rides. Gives him time to grow. If you’re just putting around, get the horse. Just make sure the stuff you teach him is the stuff you want him to remember!

There are plenty of “weekend warriors” at my farm and their horses are happy as clams!

A first time buyer will generally be happiest with a 7-15 year old who has had a lot of mileage, and is well trained. You want him to get in the trailer without protest, to stand for the farrier, to hold still when you mount, to behave on the trails, to be well balanced at all gaits, and to be a skilled jumper over small fences. You need a good vetting, as well as an opinion on his training from an unbiased, skilled trainer. The better your horse, the easier it will be to half lease him. You will also have a lot more fun with him. A poorly trained horse is no fun for most of us.

You want something at least ten years old, very calm, and completely trained. Probably want to look at Quarter Horses or Quarter Horse crosses, although a quiet, well-trained horse of any breed could potentially be appropriate.

A three year old needs more work than that to establish a good foundation. Better you should look to a more mature horse with a good background and foundation.

G.

Okay last question: assuming I want a 7+ yr old well-trained, quiet, calm horse, who has no spook, vices etc and is suitable for an intermediate rider, about 16h, no pref as to breed but healthy, what price range would you expect I’d need to pay? The higher the training level, the higher the price I’d imagine…

Btw, you are all wonderful to share this feedback! I have SOOOOOOOO many questions–I’m going to be in his forum all the time. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Horseyker;8194479]
The horse in question is a very quiet QH who lives outdoors so gets lots of turnout. But you’re right, he does still need training since he’s so young. Any recommendations as to a good age for a horse for a first-time buyer?[/QUOTE]

Age is not nearly as important as overall behavior and training. A well trained 10 year old will be much more predictable than a green 3 year old, but don’t make your decision on age alone. My 14 year old unraced TB mare with years of training and competition on her is definitely NOT a 2 day per week ride (unless you have a death wish:winkgrin:), but my friend’s 6 year old green OTTB gelding is perfectly safe 2 days per week. Of course, that would explain why he didn’t hit the board in any of his starts… his favorite gait is stop. :lol:

If you are willing to put the horse in training, I don’t see anything wrong with buying a quiet 3 year old. If you don’t want to or can’t afford to put a horse in training, then definitely look for a been there, done that sort of horse. Don’t get too hung up on age or breed, look for safe and sane first.

How exciting for you!!! I fondly remember when got my first horse. She was a 12 year old QH and I was 8 years old. Shortly after my Dad bought a 3 year old off the track Appy… I had the desire to jump so yeah green and green = green! :wink: I did get into a training program with a local trainer and had a lot of fun. 40 + years later I am still riding and in a training program.

I tell my story because you need to discover what you want to do and go in that direction. However, nothing is in concrete and you can always venture out in a new direction.

I would find a really trustworthy barn you like and talk with them. See if they have lesson horses and take some lessons. Find out if you like riding English, Western, trail, Dressage and head in that direction. Then start your horse search.

Nothing wrong with going it on your own - I did… but now days there are so many nice places that will help you have fun and stay safe. But do keep in mind there are some “not so good places too.”

I would think if you are doing equitation you would maybe find a nice QH/TB cross or quiet TB you could have some fun on… Prices depending on mind, age, soundness, fanciness etc… I would pay 3,000 to 10,000 for something to learn on…

Good luck with your search…

I am looking for a horse like this, more or less, for my husband. I am seeing plenty of horses in the 5-10k range here in the mid Atlantic. In Ontario, probably a bit cheaper. In fact, I got a video on a nice horse in this range from Ontario - too far for me to travel but I can point you her way :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=asterix;8194618]
I am looking for a horse like this, more or less, for my husband. I am seeing plenty of horses in the 5-10k range here in the mid Atlantic. In Ontario, probably a bit cheaper. In fact, I got a video on a nice horse in this range from Ontario - too far for me to travel but I can point you her way :)[/QUOTE]

nope nope nope. Horses are MUCH more expensive in Ontario.

Although I will agree that $5-10K is a good price range to estimate.

That would be great!

[QUOTE=asterix;8194618]
I am looking for a horse like this, more or less, for my husband. I am seeing plenty of horses in the 5-10k range here in the mid Atlantic. In Ontario, probably a bit cheaper. In fact, I got a video on a nice horse in this range from Ontario - too far for me to travel but I can point you her way :)[/QUOTE]

Yes pls!

[QUOTE=AKB;8194494]
A first time buyer will generally be happiest with a 7-15 year old who has had a lot of mileage, and is well trained. You want him to get in the trailer without protest, to stand for the farrier, to hold still when you mount, to behave on the trails, to be well balanced at all gaits, and to be a skilled jumper over small fences. You need a good vetting, as well as an opinion on his training from an unbiased, skilled trainer. The better your horse, the easier it will be to half lease him. You will also have a lot more fun with him. A poorly trained horse is no fun for most of us.[/QUOTE]

This exactly.

I’m 28 and have had horses since I was 5 years old. I have plenty of “riding” experience but I got a 3 year old “quiet” QH gelding when I was 20 years old, rode him a few times a week just on the trail, and then his 4 year old year…he was a little mutant. Seriously.

3 years old - they still are a little unsure

When they hit 4 and 5 years old, you need to know what you’re doing. They get more comfortable with themselves, they will start testing you, and its the years of tantrums, like a human’s terrible two’s.

I would NEVER get another young green horse. No thank you.