How the hell do I get on?(double above knee amp with cerebral palsy)

I rode up until the week of my accident. I have hemi cp and petrol fire related above knee amps.
how do i get on

Sorry to hear of your injuries and CP. I have two suggestions, both of which you may have considered. Before I had my knees replaced, I could not mount from the ground (or really about any place that wasn’t really high). I taught my horse to kneel. He was never perfect at it, but he did it well enough that I could get on from the ground. I had a friend who was able to do something similar with a simple bow, but she was more athletic than I. And, similar, I saw a horse taught to completely lie down so his wheelchair bound rider could mount --but, the rider was a man and had enough arm strength to hold himself in the saddle while the horse rose. I don’t think I could do that. Probably the best solution is a ramp. Not practical for any place but home. I suppose you could consider hiring someone horse-knowledgeable and strong to come two or three times a week to assist you in mounting. Kind of like PT? If the person was a certified PT, then I wonder if that wouldn’t be covered by insurance??

1 Like

I don’t know but applaud your mental toughness! Do you ride with a regular saddle? Any devices that can be added to the saddle to give you some leverage? Assistance in the line of a leg up with a helper at your left knee?

If there is a therapeutic riding center near you perhaps you could get some help from them. I’ve volunteered for years in the therapy program where I board. We do have a very large mounting ramp, sort of like a porch without the railing. When there is competent assistance available with an experienced quiet horse, we have been able to mount a rider when she sat on the saddle with feet on the ramp and then was assisted to get their right leg over the horse’s neck and settled into the saddle. This was an excellent eventer who had a stroke at a young age, plus some MS I believe, and didn’t want to give up riding. Alas, she is now in assisted living, but I was happy to lead her horse for several years.

I admire your determind attitude, OP.
I would also suggest looking for a therapeutic riding center to see if the ramp they use would be of benefit to you.
Good luck.

Your best bet is contacting the USPEA (US paraequestrian association) to see who is in your area as honestly many therapeutic riding programs may not have what you are looking for (especially with your previous riding experience, need for specialized adaptive equipment, and desire to ride independently and continue your awesome riding goals). There are a few good facilities but they are few and far between.

I used to ride in a wintec 2000 dressage adjustable gullet but i dont know anymore

I’m based in New Zealand but have contacted the US para equestrian based off your post.

Agreed that good therapeutic programs hard to find, the main program we are working with wants me to use a slide board (which is not happening)

What’s a slide board?

I thought NZ had some form of Para equestrian association. I came across this website, if organization. If not accurate, I think at the very least the US para equestrian organization can direct you to more appropriate resources and such. http://www.nzequestrian.org.nz/para-equestrian

I am an OT and dressage rider myself. It might be useful to find an OT or PT that incorporates hippotherapy first to work on balance and coordination and then from there work towards finding appropriate adaptive equipment (modifications to your saddle and such) to transition you back towards “leisure activities” that being riding your horse. I have done this a few times with other riders. There have to be saddle makers who can also do modifications as I have seen a variety of options for leg placement. Finding a good coach you understands concepts of biomechanics is also key (and definitely does not need to be a therapeutic riding instructor). There are some awesome dressage trainers that have experience with para riders (who the trainers themselves are FEI riders).

It does but even they cant decide what advice to give me. Same issue with the Therapeutic Association.

To become qualified as a therapeutic riding instructor in New Zealand, you would have to have a good understanding of biomechanics. So that’s not an issue but a lot of the good instructors trained a long time ago and don’t deal with "interesting"cases a lot

One of my friends is a double amputee who rides. While he does not have to deal with CP as you do, his tricks might help you. His home barn has a ramp that he can wheel up or walk up on what’s left of his legs, or on his prosthetics and crutches (he usually prefers to ride without the prosthetics). The top of the ramp is high enough that he can sit on it and slide right over onto the saddle.

He also trains his horses to do a square kneel so that he can mount from the ground. His first post-accident horse was a film-trained TB who would lie down on command; that also worked for mounting from the ground.

Good luck to you in getting back in the saddle!

Your post gave me an idea could potentially use the high low(elevate) in my power chair to create two different transfer heights(I only transfer down and to the left) and just bum shuffle across

1 Like

Here’s hoping you get back on soon and safely!

https://youtu.be/6SmJA217PpY

Or something similar.

Maybe the self operated pool hoist http://www.mobility.co.nz/products.php?brand=wymo mounted above the level of the horses back ?
Try for sponsorship?

Just an idea for mobility - mounting at trail heads or shows - our therapeutic horses are taught to stand next to a vehicle mounted wheelchair lift as it raises/lowers in order for some of our riders to mount at different off-site locations that may not have a “ramp” to mount from.

2 Likes