Unlimited access >

How to Choose Stallions & Pedigree Crossing

Where are good places to find information about WB bloodlines and crosses? Is there any relevant information about crossing WBs to TBs I should be reading? Any and all information that has been helpful to you in learning about breeding WBs I would love to know about! I’m mostly interested in jumper (and possibly hunter) breeding but most of the info about bloodlines and breeding I found seems to be more geared toward dressage breeding/bloodlines.

I’ve been involved in the non-WB breeding world for years and am now more seriously researching warmblood breeding. When we are breeding we typically breed 1-2 mares every 2-3 years so it’s not a large program. Most recently we bred an OTTB mare and have a 3yr old Westfalen gelding who I’m considering keeping as a personal horse. I realized at that point that there was a ton different about the warmblood breeding. At the moment we have a couple of papered TB mares that we’d like to use for breeding and I’d like to be more prepared and educated about bloodlines before I go down the rabbit hole so to speak.

I would start by reading up on the bloodlines to make sure the mare(s) really does have anything behind them that indicates they would be a good match for sporthorse breeding. Hippomundo, HorseTelex, and Sporthorse Data are good places to start looking.

1 Like

I like using Hippomundo, Horsetelex, the USEF database, and Clip My Horse as research tools. I do searches by bloodlines to see which crosses seemed to be consistently successful, look at the breeding of horses I like based on watching them go and results lists and also watch videos of horses with similar lines to the cross I’m considering. I also look at the auctions online because they can be a good source of information and videos. https://www.horsemagazine.com/ has some very good breeding articles and stallion information as well.

1 Like