Unlimited access >

How to get vile tasting liquid down a cat?

My dear Emmy has been diagnosed as asthmatic. She is on her second week of oral prednisolone (1.2ml). That stuff must be uber vile. It is getting harder and harder to get it down her. The problem is if I try to wrap her in a towel or even hold her firmly, it restricts her chest and the stress of fighting with me sends her into an asthmatic attack. So, I have just been scruffing her and getting it in her mouth somehow. However, she is fighting it more and more. Yesterday, I had to attempt to give her more as we were both wearing a bit. Any ideas for making it more palatable or a slick way to give liquids. I have no problem with the liquid antibiotic but it is a bit stickier liquid and a smaller volume. No problem with her methimazole pill or the albuterol inhaler (via a chamber). So, it has to be the taste of this stuff.

TIA

Her follow-up is Monday and I am hoping we can taper that off and switch to an inhaled steroid.

1 Like

My refill of big catā€™s liquid med was not compounded with flavoring, as was the original. After a few epic objections I drew a bit of tuna juice into the syringe, then added the med. Worked really well. You probably know this but using the outer corner of the mouth works best.

Poor Emmy, I hope she feels better soon.

5 Likes

About ready to go give it. I will try the tuna juice.

Thanks

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never had trouble giving pred to a cat. What does it smell like? What Iā€™ve had smelled really like nothing - vanilla, almost. Iā€™d ask the vet f it can be compounded with a flavor.

I did mix some of Nigelā€™s meds with a product called Solid Gold - got it at PetCo. A nice broth that went down smoothly.

2 Likes

Can you request a pill version instead?

1 Like

Simkie, the dose is odd. I think they only come in 5mg tablets. She is currently getting 3.6 mg. Maybe when we taper we could go to 2.5mg then 1.25mg. I am hoping we can get her transitioned to inhaled steroids.

I sampled the prednisolone. It is fruit flavored but with a very bitter after taste for about 30 seconds.

The tuna juice treated stuff didnā€™t go down any better :grimacing:. I had to lever out from under the bed to give her her antibiotic. That is cherry flavored but that goes down much easier.

Ugh, Iā€™m sorry. I hate those bitter liquids and avoid them at all costs.

The best way to dose them is to be quick & get them as far back in the mouth as possible. Scruff, dose down the throat, and apologize. :frowning:

I hope youā€™re through this soon!

4 Likes

Oh boo. I hope you can get a better form on Monday. Jingles!

2 Likes

The tuna juice sounds promising. Or try keeping it in the fridge - I had to give a cat clindamyacin and vet said it was better cold. Not so bitter.

If I have to give nasty meds, I try to give a treat after to lessen the taste and make the whole experience a bit more tolerable.

the flavor that went over best with my cats was Vanilla Butternut. okayā€¦go figure

3 Likes

Yes Shiloh, I have been keeping it in the frig. Oh yes, she has gotten some rotisserie chicken as her reward. She loves that. I am a retired pharmacist and we always kept it in the frig so the poor nurses could get it down the kiddos. The room temp stuff was really awful.

She had another ā€˜attackā€™ last nite :frowning_face:. It was a bad one but the albuterol seemed to rescue her. Bahā€¦it had been 36hrs since the last one and I was hoping we were making some headway. Then again, I have had no idea how much of the steroid is actually getting in her. Hopefully we will make it to Monday.

3 Likes

When I give liquid medicine to cats I lift the front feet up when I scruff them. Then I squirt the medicine in quick as a wink. Lifting the front end up seems to distract them just long enough for me to give the medicine. Iā€™ve only had one cat that this didnā€™t work. So, grab the scruff, lift the front end up so that the feet are off the ground, and give the medicine. You have to be quick.

Yes, Ozarkā€™s Riderā€¦I seem to be having trouble with the quick part. She is getting lightening fast at using her feet to swat my hand away. I also have to be careful that she not inhale it vs. swallowing it.

1 more day until the vet follow-up.

Why are the ones who need the most help the worst patients? arghā€¦

I guess I do it differently from everyone else - I kneel on the floor, position the cat between my knees facing out, then hold their head in my left hand and get the meds in with my right. I have more success doing that than scruffing them.

3 Likes

I, unfortunately, canā€™t get down on the floor. However, tonight, I put her on the bed and just scooted her back against me. That worked pretty well. I ended up wearing the last 0.4ml so reloaded and got the rest down her. I am going to ask about pills tomorrow.

She really hasnā€™t improved a whole lot despite all the treatment. We will see what the vet says tomorrow. We may be at the end of the rope :cry:.

IME, scruffing tends to make my cats more afraid, so I try not to do it if I can help it - hence the other method I use.

Jingles for you and Emmy - hopefully you can put her on an inhaled steroid instead, or maybe an injectable? I donā€™t know if thatā€™s an option in this case.

Wellā€¦no improvement on chest x-ray but the vet deemed her stable and not in distress. She still grooms, scratches and is eating well. Her main symptom aside from her actual episodes (gagging, difficulty breathing) is tachypnea (rapid breathing). She is oxygenating OK except when she has an attack. So, she upped the prednisolone to 5mg and changed it to a tablet. I brought her home and right down the hatch with the piller. Much less stress and I know she got the dose. I also have a prescription for a fluticasone inhaler. If the tablets donā€™t improve things I will get an inhaler and try that. I will probably do that anyway and get her off the oral so there is less systemic effect. Of course, I have to buy the first one. $$$ but after that the vet hospital can get them from Canada for $60 (vs $300-400). That takes several weeks to set up so if it works, we can go that way. I have a Good Rx card and can get it for $263 from my pharmacy.

The ER vet mentioned that they could do a bronchial wash but the internal medicine vet said for the stress of the procedure, it really wouldnā€™t tell them that much. I am taking her to her regular vet in 3 weeks to get another opinion just for the heck of it.

So, vile liquid goneā€¦yeah. Thanks for all the ideas. I will file them away.

So, she is still here for now.

6 Likes

I live by the motto of ā€œwhatever works.ā€ Some of my cats will take pills and others fluids. One wonā€™t take anything and thatā€™s a load of fun. Iā€™m glad kitty is feeling a bit better and you donā€™t have to fight her any more.

2 Likes

I want to try this with my cat next time I have to give her an oral med.
But please describe how to scruff, lift, and dispense with only two hands!

1 Like

This is what I do too. Itā€™s kinda like you sit on them. :smiley:

2 Likes