Unlimited access >

How To Practice Braiding If You're Horseless?

Is there anything I could buy to practicing braiding manes and tails on? I don’t have a horse and would like something to practice on. Do they make anything like the mannequin heads that beauty schools use to practice hairdressing on? Thanks!

Could you hook up with a local barn that holds small in-house schooling shows? See if you can offer your services free in exchange for practice time.

Maybe offer to groom some horses at a local barn in exchange for letting you practice. You need to get the full experience of shaking heads and moving horse while trying to braid…hehe.

[QUOTE=Simbalism;8118007]
Maybe offer to groom some horses at a local barn in exchange for letting you practice. You need to get the full experience of shaking heads and moving horse while trying to braid…hehe.[/QUOTE]

That would be a good idea. You could practice the mane on an American Girl doll horse. You could get about ten braids into it. It’s a good way to practice your technique although the idea about going to a local barn to practice is good too as (hopefully) the AG horse won’t move on its own:) As far as tails go IDK, you could make a tail with hair extensions? Put a stick or something in the middle?

Sounds like a challenge!

[QUOTE=carroal;8118250]
That would be a good idea. You could practice the mane on an American Girl doll horse. You could get about ten braids into it. It’s a good way to practice your technique although the idea about going to a local barn to practice is good too as (hopefully) the AG horse won’t move on its own:) As far as tails go IDK, you could make a tail with hair extensions? Put a stick or something in the middle?

Sounds like a challenge![/QUOTE]

The American girl horse is a great idea! I am going to try this…I know right where one is in DD’s room…

I used to braid my Cabbage Patch kid horse…

If you’re anywhere in SE PA you can practice on my horse any time you want… lol