Unlimited access >

How to properly break in a new saddle?

Okay, I couldn’t find the Bruno Delgrange page which is a shame, because it mentioned thing I’ve never heard of before (standing in the stirrups to help the saddle settle on the horse’s back, etc), but this is what CWD says for care:

All new saddles have already been treated with ox-foot oil to optimize their first use. During the first week, daily use of CWD Conditioner is highly recommended to help waterproof the leather and enable the saddle to mould to the rider. Every day and throughout the saddle’s life, basic care is necessary. Daily care of your saddle is recommended to ensure that it lasts and remains in a good state. Firstly thoroughly clean it with CWD Saddle Soap using a damp cloth (provided with the CWD Saddle Soap) to keep the leather soft, pleasing to touch and efficient. Then take a dry cloth and wipe the entire surface. Then once a month apply a thin layer of CWD Conditioner with a cloth to feed, soften and deeply regenerate the leather.

[QUOTE=HJEq;7480795]
Okay, so I understand that being a relatively new account (my identity was compromised on my old one) on here will probably cause people to assume that she created a second account to defend herself. Not the case.

However, she is a teenaged girl, which we all know is a pretty terrible time to begin with, and you are adults who aren’t acting like it. She’s trying to get advice, but reading through her threads, all I can see are a bunch of bullies who can’t let go of one decision that she and her parents made. Yes, perhaps that decision wasn’t a great one, but would it kill you to get off her case about it?

I believe the Delgrange site had a detailed guide on breaking in a new saddle, I’m going to try and find it for you.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, that’d be great if you could find that on the Delgrange site.
I appreciate you sticking up for me. I changed my forum account because I couldn’t figure out how to change my username, and it was too specific to who I am not knowing that when I joined that people don’t put their names as usernames which many sites do.

Ride in the saddle and use whatever conditioner they give you often (I have a Volatire and would use the Hercules Balsm they gave to me 1 x per week; working it in with my fingers). My saddle was used so more broke in already; but I’d say it took 6 months–but I only ride 2x a week.

Enjoy–I love my nice saddle even if I am only jumping 2’3". And no, it doesnt fix my riding problems–only time in the tack will do that–but I love riding in it :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=amnich123;7480637]
I asked the rep about used saddles (considering other used brands)
with what I felt best in/needed (seat size, flap length, pro-panel) and they had nothing. She even asked her boss to help her find one, and they both had zero luck. So, going custom was my last option and I took up the offer.

I am getting leathers and maybe a bridle/boots. Definitely need a bridle over boots.[/QUOTE]

Your saddle isn’t coming with leathers? Is that typical? My CWD is.

So the rep couldn’t find anything…what about looking yourself? There are TONS of used CWD from reputable used saddle dealers online. Many more than CWD themselves probably has.

[QUOTE=Rel6;7481294]
Your saddle isn’t coming with leathers? Is that typical? My CWD is.

So the rep couldn’t find anything…what about looking yourself? There are TONS of used CWD from reputable used saddle dealers online. Many more than CWD themselves probably has.[/QUOTE]

Yes, my saddle is coming with leathers.

I’ve been looking at saddles on my own since October; the first high end brand I ever knew of (besides Butet) was Antares since the barn I ride at is sponsored by them so naturally I looked into them since many of the riders own saddles by them; and I was riding in them if I hacked a personally owned horse.

I contacted Antares and by describing the situation I was in they told me I would need a pro panel so since then, independent of the help of a Sellier, I began to look around on my own for a saddle with a pro panel and had no luck since majority of the used saddles online are fitted to a specific horse. I only contacted CWD about a month ago to help me.