Unlimited access >

How to properly break in a new saddle?

Hey all!
I was reading an earlier thread and the topic on the improper breaking in of a saddle came up in one of the reply-posts.

So, this brought me to wonder since I just ordered a custom saddle, if there’s a right and a wrong way to break in a saddle?

(This will be my first saddle, so if this post sounds a bit funny, it’s because I don’t have much knowledge of the break in period etc.)

If so, what is the proper versus the improper?

I think it is just important that the saddle is broken in by YOU, or someone who rides with the same leg length. If your leg is weak/poor, then have someone with a good leg break in the saddle. If the blocks are moveable, make sure they are in the proper position before breaking in the saddle.

[QUOTE=CHT;7478593]
I think it is just important that the saddle is broken in by YOU, or someone who rides with the same leg length. If your leg is weak/poor, then have someone with a good leg break in the saddle. If the blocks are moveable, make sure they are in the proper position before breaking in the saddle.[/QUOTE]

I don’t have the strongest legs, but they’re not completely weak. I have a habit of pinching at the knee and also have trouble keeping my weight in my heels; tending to balance on the ball of my foot. Would that affect the break in?

I ride 3 maybe 4x a week during the school year and 4-6x in the summer depending on my lease, lesson and work schedule.

I’m receiving the saddle in May which is extremely close to show season. How long does the break-in period usually last? (I ordered a CWD)

Just ride in it! The only way to break in a saddle is to ride the way you would always ride and preferably not in jeans.

Yup just keep riding in it, also clean and condition regularly. My CWD broke in easily and quickly but I had them oil/condition it before it was shipped which shortened the break in period slightly.

Obvious alter is obvious…

I thought you backed out of the unnecessary $5500 saddle?

Pinching at the knee, rolling forward on the toe, won’t be corrected by an expensive saddle.

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;7479418]

Pinching at the knee, rolling forward on the toe, won’t be corrected by an expensive saddle.[/QUOTE]

You are right it is an obvious alter although I did not see that. I am not surprised she didn’t cancel the saddle though. :frowning:

[QUOTE=BAC;7479471]
You are right it is an obvious alter although I did not see that. I am not surprised she didn’t cancel the saddle though. :([/QUOTE]

It’s too bad. The saddle coming in May means she just ordered it and could still get out of it, and saved her parents the money. Heck, Dover even has a knockoff CWD available in April that would do her just as much good.

I hope she realizes that buying an expensive saddle with no horse and taking low-level lessons will likely make her a laughingstock, not an accepted friend, of the better riders in the barn. And I hope she really appreciates her parents, spending more than my first car cost, on a saddle so she can play at the barn.

It’s too bad. It was a good learning opportunity the OP didn’t take.

It’s too bad there is no one to tell the mother how unnecessary a saddle in that price range is. It’s great having a luxury saddle like a CWD if it’s not a financial hardship but there are lots of more alternatives. Some people have to learn the hard way.

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;7479560]
It’s too bad. The saddle coming in May means she just ordered it and could still get out of it, and saved her parents the money. Heck, Dover even has a knockoff CWD available in April that would do her just as much good.

I hope she realizes that buying an expensive saddle with no horse and taking low-level lessons will likely make her a laughingstock, not an accepted friend, of the better riders in the barn. And I hope she really appreciates her parents, spending more than my first car cost, on a saddle so she can play at the barn.

It’s too bad. It was a good learning opportunity the OP didn’t take.[/QUOTE]

The saddle is no longer $5500, it was $4500 (changed the leather type) and then they gave me a $500 credit and I only have to have 3/4 paid in order to receive it.

I also strongly disagree with your comments. I’m not there to make friends, I am there to ride. Therefor, I could care less about the negative thoughts other riders have of me; which there are none to my knowledge. And they are no longer going to be low level lessons because:

A.) I am improving with great trainers.
B.) My trainer was able to find me 2 lease options in my price range.

Please continue to bash me for my decisions.

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;7479418]

Pinching at the knee, rolling forward on the toe, won’t be corrected by an expensive saddle.[/QUOTE]

But this saddle won’t work against me like MANY have.
Before I started trying out the high end used saddles (Antares, Bruno Delgrange, CWD, Butet etc.) I was in Pessoa’s and Circuits for schooling saddles which worked against me.

[QUOTE=amnich123;7480607]
The saddle is no longer $5500, it was $4500 (changed the leather type) and then they gave me a $500 credit and I only have to have 3/4 paid in order to receive it.

I also found a lease option in my price range :wink:

Please continue to bash me for my decisions.[/QUOTE]

Well…thats something. My FIRST comment was going to be how you can claim this is the only saddle you’ve found that fits you all you want, but the 5500 price if for calfskin and that has nothing to do with fit and position.

A $500 credit doesn’t really help you…it helps CWD by making you think you got something back but still ensures it goes towards CWD products. Which is helpful to someone who is interested in a CWD bridle/girth/etc and not helpful to someone who is trying to save money for a lease and can find much less expensive alternatives. I’m assuming stirrup leathers come with your saddle? So what else do you really need from them?

I have a REALLY hard time believing there are no used CWDs in the configuration you want. I am a very weird size and I’ve managed to find one or two.

On that note, I have hard time believing there isn’t a less expensive brand with a used saddle that will fit you.

[QUOTE=Rel6;7480620]
Well…thats something. My FIRST comment was going to be how you can claim this is the only saddle you’ve found that fits you all you want, but the 5500 price if for calfskin and that has nothing to do with fit and position.

A $500 credit doesn’t really help you…it helps CWD by making you think you got something back but still ensures it goes towards CWD products. Which is helpful to someone who is interested in a CWD bridle/girth/etc and not helpful to someone who is trying to save money for a lease and can find much less expensive alternatives. I’m assuming stirrup leathers come with your saddle? So what else do you really need from them?

I have a REALLY hard time believing there are no used CWDs in the configuration you want. I am a very weird size and I’ve managed to find one or two.

On that note, I have hard time believing there isn’t a less expensive brand with a used saddle that will fit you.[/QUOTE]

I asked the rep about used saddles (considering other used brands)
with what I felt best in/needed (seat size, flap length, pro-panel) and they had nothing. She even asked her boss to help her find one, and they both had zero luck. So, going custom was my last option and I took up the offer.

I am getting leathers and maybe a bridle/boots. Definitely need a bridle over boots.

[QUOTE=amnich123;7480637]
I asked the rep about used saddles (considering other used brands)
with what I felt best in/needed (seat size, flap length, pro-panel) and they had nothing. She even asked her boss to help her find one, and they both had zero luck. So, going custom was my last option and I took up the offer.

I am getting leathers and maybe a bridle/boots. Definitely need a bridle over boots.[/QUOTE]

You do realize that a new bridle from cwd is 450$, not including reins $200, the leathers are 200$, the boots are 250$

You are heading to college soon, you do not need to be purchasing a 1000$ of stuff for a lease horse, because you will never get any of that back. You need to buy some plain black polo wraps, if you are leasing a horse the owner, or the barn you are at should be able to provide you with a bridle.

To answer your question:
Just ride in it and do whatever they tell you to in regards to cleaning/conditioning/oiling. You don’t need to do anything special.

[QUOTE=Show boots;7480681]
You do realize that a new bridle from cwd is 450$, not including reins $200, the leathers are 200$, the boots are 250$

You are heading to college soon, you do not need to be purchasing a 1000$ of stuff for a lease horse, because you will never get any of that back. You need to buy some plain black polo wraps, if you are leasing a horse the owner, or the barn you are at should be able to provide you with a bridle.[/QUOTE]

And even if they don’t provide a bridle, you can get a decent one for a lot less than $450.

Though I guess you could buy the CWD bridle with your credit, sell it on Ebay and basically get your money back to use more wisely.

I have a very nice hunter bridle, pretty and good quality leather, from SmartPak which I purchased for $100 (I got it on sale at Rolex - it retails for $159). It is my horse’s only bridle and I’ve had it for 3 years now - still going strong. There is no way in heck you need a $450 bridle for a horse that’s not even yours.
https://www.smartpakequine.com/harwich-padded-fancy-stitch-bridle-by-smartpak-7215p

[QUOTE=amnich123;7480610]
But this saddle won’t work against me like MANY have.
Before I started trying out the high end used saddles (Antares, Bruno Delgrange, CWD, Butet etc.) I was in Pessoa’s and Circuits for schooling saddles which worked against me.[/QUOTE]

Look, I’m not that much older than you are. Less than 10 years older.

I grew up riding in flat-as-a-pancake saddles with no blocks, no grip, no nothing. I can ride in anything, something too big, too small, long flaps, weird blocks, whatever. I might not like it, and sure, there are some saddles I LOVE, but they don’t make me able or not able to ride or learn.

You’re believing the hype about these saddles making you the next coming of Mclain Ward. Not so much has changed in 10 years that this is true and you NEED a saddle like this to succeed.

It’s just really too bad that you believe the hype and your parents are buying it too. Do you actually know those saddles were working against you? Or is that what you’re hearing from all these people saying “I didn’t know what a right saddle was until I bought a CWD/Antares/Devoucoux/Voltaire!”

We’re trying to help you. I wish you could see that. I’m not saying that you need to suffer, but there’s a lot of nice saddles out there.

Oh good lord. She’s not returning the saddle. I wouldn’t feel bad for her parents - doing five minutes of online research would allow them to see that there are many suitable saddles priced under 5k. Clearly this is a priority for them.

How about actually answering the OP’s question?

I have only broken in one new saddle (all the rest have been used!) but I just followed the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning/caring for it and rode in it. Not in jeans.

[QUOTE=french fry;7480758]
Oh good lord. She’s not returning the saddle. I wouldn’t feel bad for her parents - doing five minutes of online research would allow them to see that there are many suitable saddles priced under 5k. Clearly this is a priority for them.

How about actually answering the OP’s question?

I have only broken in one new saddle (all the rest have been used!) but I just followed the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning/caring for it and rode in it. Not in jeans.[/QUOTE]

CWD will give her instructions on how to break in the saddle. She doesn’t need 2 months of research to learn how. There isn’t some magic instruction, you ride in it.

Okay, so I understand that being a relatively new account (my identity was compromised on my old one) on here will probably cause people to assume that she created a second account to defend herself. Not the case.

However, she is a teenaged girl, which we all know is a pretty terrible time to begin with, and you are adults who aren’t acting like it. She’s trying to get advice, but reading through her threads, all I can see are a bunch of bullies who can’t let go of one decision that she and her parents made. Yes, perhaps that decision wasn’t a great one, but would it kill you to get off her case about it?

I believe the Delgrange site had a detailed guide on breaking in a new saddle, I’m going to try and find it for you.