How to repair my horses tail

My daughter is competing in the NRCHA Worlds in Fott Worth next month and her horse rubbed the hair on the top side of her tail. We identified the cause and all is well, but now she has a chunk of hair missing. I’ve been treating the area using hair growth shampoos but time is running out, are there extensions or something I can get to fix it?? If so where? And thank you.

Most tail extensions I know of need enough hair on the topside of the dock to cover the top of the tail extension. I’ve seen some bonded extensions in manes and tails, but I imagine that’s a process and would, again, depend on how much “real” hair you’ve got to conceal the bonds. The glue bonds would be less visible, I’d think, at a distance than a braid attachment.

How sizeable of a chunk is missing? If it had the opportunity to grow out somewhat in the next month, I’d probably be more inclined to do that and skip any extensions. I’d always be worried about the horse stepping on the extension.

There is a fair amount of hair above the rubbed area and it’s primarily on one side. Our trainer suggested glueing but I’m not familiar with this, never had this happen before!!! Where would I find this?

Might take a bit of searching on Google. I don’t think the bonded style extensions are common. There are various types of attachments, so you may find a braid or tie in style that’ll work for you.

jackiew --I don’t know if this would work, or how well it would work. I’d sure try it out before the big show and see --first you could try yourself, little cost and little harm. Go to the drugstore and buy a few tubes of LATEX eyelash glue. Using hairs from a tail extension --maybe 20 or so because this is just an experiment, try individually gluing the hairs to the most bare spots. Use a clip to hold any longer hairs up and out of the way --remember, just an experiment. See how long it takes you to glue on 20 individual hairs. Then have rider put horse through his paces. But before cooling off, washing, whatever, evaluate how well the hairs stayed in. If they all appear to to be there and well-attached, allow rider to untack and wash horse --trying desperately to avoid tail. Next day, see if hairs are still there --might try wrapping tail in leg wrap to protect. If the hand gluing of individual hairs seems to hold up for at least a day (are you showing multiple days?) and the time commitment isn’t huge --then this might be an option. But if all the hairs fall out while being ridden, then it isn’t going to work.

Next step might be to take yourself to a salon that DOES hair extensions. Ask for advice. If you have enough $ (and honestly, this might really be worth it since it’s WORLD!) --hire a tech to come to your stable and put in a couple of extensions using her professional expertise --again, only a couple --see if this holds up to riding for a day --and then if you are showing, multiple days. And PLEASE record your efforts with this problem --I bet many people would watch that YouTube who have a similar problem.

FYI while I have never tried this with a tail --I have “patched in” braids on English horse’s necks using glue and creative braiding. . . .

1 Like

I would be very concerned that any glue used would cause more itching. What about using spray color to disguise the bald area?

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=a8857406-bad6-4bb4-9308-a09256eba4ff&sfb=1&itemguid=2922b921-d385-4ae7-8b72-03ae0f6b0025&utm_content=30564&ccd=IFM003&CAWELAID=120295250000100651&CATARGETID=120295250000184192&cadevice=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_aT3r9XI2AIVUx2BCh1SQQD_EAQYAiABEgIxlPD_BwE

4 Likes

Are you allowed to braid the tail ?

I would use the color spray from Shapely and depending on mane and tail color I would head to sallys and get some wig clips and weave. That way you can attach it to the little bit of hair that is growing out.

If you have never done this before please get someone to help. Either a good groom would know how to fix this or someone that does extensions.

Do you have any pics? Its hard to know exactly where your talking about.

All of the above advice is good, but please check your rule book for rules on tail extensions or spray coloring. I’m not aware of the NRCHA rules, but I’d hate for you to get DQed! Most associations have rules and at a world show, there will be stewards checking.

Can you get a forelock extension and add it in? If not and you have some hair there, there are some breeds that do not allow fake tails and they have hair to
hair extensions put in. I am pretty sure Morgan’s do this and maybe some of the other light horse breeds. If you hwve one of these barns in your area I would call and ask who does their extensions. They might be able to do some for you