Unlimited access >

How to secure gooseneck trailer in 2022

I know this question was asked before but that was in 20016 and hopefully there are more options out there. What is everyone’s method for securing your trailer for over night at a show or other unsupervised location. I’ve seen all kinds of options but of course reading ads doesn’t give you the whole story.

There’s wheel locks, set pin locks, neat looking things that encase the coupler and use a puck lock, lockable scissors caulk, gps trackers (not good for prevention but you might get it back) or the creative one, paint the trailer loud unusual colors and patterns so it is easily recognized.

What would this group recommend? Thanks.

Anything on the coupler is a no. An experienced thief is just going to weld a tire rim in the truck bed, and won’t need access to the coupler.

IMO - an electric jack is a good deterrent. You need a key to operate it.

Otherwise, a tire boot and locking lugnuts is likely the most effective.

1 Like

well I tried my same question on the truck and trailer review and got a ton of replies and ideas.
Yes insurance is a must however a it is taking me 7 months to get my new trailer I’d rather prevent it from being stolen in the first place.

While I realize I can’t deter a determined thief I want to make sure my trailer isn’t as easy to steal as those around it and taking it will involve a fair amount of commotion.

On the facebook group I discover something really good the B&W defender gooseneck coupler. Locking mechanism in the coupler but the part that make me want it is the cone for the receiver so you can be as much as two inches off from the ball and it still connects. the pro to this is a reduction of swear words at the start of a trip.

With that you would need a set screw lock so the coupler isn’t swapped out. If you go to Ft knox locks they have videos of how they can break other locks with a crow bar. So finding a good one of those is fun. Of course you can by theirs $$$$.

Here was another tip if you have an jack that works with a key lower the hitch so it is lower than a truck bed. Deters the welded wheel to the truck bed trick of hauling away.

Wheel locks as mentioned here would work. Storage would be a negative.

GPS trackers good. I would get two one obvious to be found and the other active tracker someplace hard to find like bottom of tack trunk. Down side monthly subscription and while the first activation is free subsequent ones are not.

Other fun suggestions large guard dog in pen around trailer. Your neighbors at a show would love that.

Sleep in it. Husband is a no on that.

Park truck under it. Hard to get to hotel that way.
There were lots of creative ideas some useful some funny.
Now the next thing is how to not make it so locked up that it looks like it is worth stealing.

1 Like

You’ve got the right idea… you can’t make it impossible to steal, but you can make it inconvenient enough that they choose another target.

An electric jack, a gooseneck lock, and a boot for the wheel are going to take some time to deal with. Sure they can do the tire rim in the bed thing, figure out the manual bypass for the jack, and use a saw to cut through the boot. I’d probably throw in a steel cable and lock threaded through both wheels on the other side just for fun.

Hmm I have LoJack on my truck since it sits parked a decent amount. Wonder if I should get something like that for the trailer?