Unlimited access >

how to sell a used saddle

I am sure there are lots of threads on this topic already, but I would like to hear from people who have sold their used saddle. Which is the easiest way? Online or go to a tack shop and have them resell it?
Which online sites are the best?
I have a nice 2004 used french saddle, I was wondering if anyone has dealt with saddle resellers? Is there a particular one that is good to use?
thanks for your help!

I just sold a saddle through High End Used Saddles and it was a very easy, convenient process. It was a brand that isn’t well known in my area so it was easier to go with an online reseller.

For a different saddle, I did a local tack shop and that also worked out.

In both cases they got me a full price offer quickly. The local tack shop was a little cheaper (slightly lower commission and I didn’t have to pay to ship it) so it might depend on the market in your area.

Best of luck!

I’ve sold through consignment shops (for H/J saddles) and on my own (Dressage saddles, which the consignment shops can’t seem to move).

The consignment shops are definitely more convenient for me as a seller.

However, as a buyer I will say that I was recently looking for saddles, including at some of the higher-end brands, and it seems like all the higher-end consignment shops are starting to charge $100+ restocking fees in addition to shipping fees on trials. So I didn’t even bother contacting them. That’s fine if you have a pretty good idea of what will work for you and your horse, but if you are new to the higher end saddles and trying to figure it out, it’s a huge disincentive to use the consignment shops.

I did all my trials through buyers who were working on their own and had reasonable trial offers.

If your saddle is enough in demand it’ll probably sell just fine through a consignment shop regardless. But if you want to reach the widest possible buyer pool, make sure you pay attention to the restocking fee they charge buyers, because they are definitely losing part of the market with the way they are going.

Try Pelham Saddlery. They take 24% of the selling price, put your saddle on-line, make a little video and advertise through Horse Clicks. They do not charge customers a restocking fee for saddle trials because they don’t actually sell the saddle until after a 7 day trial. The customer can return obligation free for the cost of shipping.

Facebook - it’s free and there’s a huge audience.

Try the following groups:

• English tack trader
  • English tack exchange
  • English saddles for sale
  • high end used tack

[QUOTE=tempi2007;8633821]
Try Pelham Saddlery. They take 24% of the selling price, put your saddle on-line, make a little video and advertise through Horse Clicks. They do not charge customers a restocking fee for saddle trials because they don’t actually sell the saddle until after a 7 day trial. The customer can return obligation free for the cost of shipping.[/QUOTE]

That, hassle free.

I sold one thru them last year, have another right now on consignment and have bought several from them also.

Always accommodating an no question when returning one.
I sadly had to return one that fit me better than any ever, but just was not quite fitting any of my horses.
Still sad over that one.

[QUOTE=butiwantedapony;8633838]
Facebook - it’s free and there’s a huge audience.

Try the following groups:

• English tack trader
  • English tack exchange
  • English saddles for sale
  • high end used tack[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have bought off a few of those sites and look forward to new posts all of the time. My SO isn’t very excited about that though…lol

I have bought and sold high end (over $2k) saddles from high end used saddles, Maryland Tack Exchange, and Middleburg Tack Exchange. I was happy with all the transactions.

I won’t do an expensive saddle on Facebook unless I know the person because I think it is too risky. Would rather deal with a known quantity with a good reputation. Smaller tack pieces I am happy to sell directly. If someone absconds with a $50 noseband or something, not a huge deal. I tend to just operate in good faith and assume others will too. But when several thousand is at issue, I feel more comfortable going through an insured business.

I sold 2 saddles on facebook with local tack trading pages. One I sold locally, the other I wound up shipping.

They were mid priced saddles and I did price them to sell quickly.

I got lots of interest and I had good experiences with my buyers, both of whom seem happy with their purchases.

I thought I saw a place that would either do consignment or would outright buy your saddle. Of course, you get more on consignment, but the buy out is quick.

Anyone know what site that is?