Unlimited access >

How to support muscle maintenance/development in an older horse - UPDATE

I have a 21 yo PRE gelding, ridden dressage and am noticing that he is not maintaining his topline. He is a super easy keeper which makes feeding him a bit of a challenge. He has been tested for metabolic issues and is very very healthy. He is very sound and has plenty of energy.

Current daily feed
Triple Crown Gold Diet Balancer
Grass hay
joint support with tumeric

I have tried adding fat with hemp seed. I have also tried adding alfalfa but wasnt thrilled as it seemed to just add to his belly.

Any experience with Immunobiome Lean Muscle? Any other suggestions?
THX
Darcy

How often and how is he ridden?

He is lives outside in a large paddock and is ridden dressage - primarily fundamentals some fun stuff thrown in occasionally - 3 to 4 times per week. Long lining or lunging 1 to 2x per month.

From the Mad Barn website - 1lb fed. Iā€™m impressed at the Zinc and Copper.
https://madbarn.com/feeds/balancer-gold-triple-crown/

My thought would be to add in Tri Amino to be sure youā€™re getting your basic amino acids.

My new gelding came to me with no back muscle and is finally at a better weight - gained 100 lbs. Also have had him on ample Vit E - Santa Cruz as well as Tri Amino and his back is BEAUTIFUL at this point. A back to sit on. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I would test for PPID to at least rule that out - one of the first symptoms can be lack of muscle maintenance or development, and heā€™s that ageā€¦

Iā€™d be inclined to either switch to the regular Balancer (higher protein), or even add a bit of plain soybean meal, or even some whey isolate protein (yes, human form, you can buy in bulk :slight_smile: )

Maybe something like Purina SuperSport which has both sbm and whey protein

7 Likes

the last 2 years my guy has had blood panels pulled and nada. I will look at the regular balancer however I have stayed away from corn and soy due to skin sensitivities.

Purina Supersport is awesome for muscle/topline.

1 Like

PPID isnā€™t diagnosed through regular blood work, itā€™s a very specific test - is that what was done?

2 Likes

I have a 19 year old OTTB. Sadly this year heā€™s had more time off due to high nail abscesses and would lose his topline with the snap of a finger. It takes forever to build it, but no time to lose it. Breaks my heart. He used to hold the muscle so much better when he was younger. The back to work is just a little slower and takes a couple more weeks than it used to be.

I think it comes down to how much riding you are doing and what kind of riding. Are you asking for a lower long rounded over their back ā€˜frameā€™? Are you just letting their neck out and doing pure fitness and not muscle work?

Feed does help topline, but truly work is the best answer. My friend has been doing a lot of Pillar work with her horse, and itā€™s done wonders for his muscles.

2 Likes

Hadnā€™t thought of PPID. Excellent idea.

Does the paddock have any slope to it?
Do you ride any hills at all?

1 Like

yes, the challenge?..cant remember the nameā€¦

Pillar work?

yes, not a alot as my guy doesnt appreciate work outside of the arena. It is not his thing. I will occasionally lunge him over some small ā€œhillsā€ in the front pasture.

1 Like

Another vote for Mad Barnā€™s aminos supplement. I have a PPID horse whoā€™s one symptom is loss of top line muscle. He didnā€™t turn into a normally muscled horse but did actually gain some top line muscle with the aminos added to his diet.

2 Likes

I have heard good things about ProEliteā€™s Topline Advantage supplement. It has 50% protein.

1 Like

is important to remember that, especially for older, less efficient bodies without a specific protein restriction, protein is one of the more important body building and maintenance nutrients.
Better to feed a bit too much protein that be short.

That is where alfalfa with its complete protein profile fits, but has to be fed at sufficient volume, the primary source, not just a bit.

7 Likes

thatā€™s just a condensed version of the Grass Advantage ration balancer. More or less double most of the nutrients, at half the serving size. So, nutritionally, it has to be treated like a regular ration balancer, and not something youā€™d add on top of a full serving of another ration balancer

1 Like

I struggle feeding alfalfa with an easy keeper. My guy gets 4 flakes of grass hay per day in a slow feeder. I can reach 1 to 1 as that would be way too many calories. Would you feed 1 grass, 1 alfalfa per feeding?

Reading thru everyoneā€™s responses- thx BTW- I am realizing I have created this issue. I have been so focused on my guyā€™s weight, I have lost sight of supporting his aging body and its needs :frowning:

4 Likes