Unlimited access >

How to support muscle maintenance/development in an older horse - UPDATE

Pillar work?

yes, not a alot as my guy doesnt appreciate work outside of the arena. It is not his thing. I will occasionally lunge him over some small “hills” in the front pasture.

1 Like

Another vote for Mad Barn’s aminos supplement. I have a PPID horse who’s one symptom is loss of top line muscle. He didn’t turn into a normally muscled horse but did actually gain some top line muscle with the aminos added to his diet.

2 Likes

I have heard good things about ProElite’s Topline Advantage supplement. It has 50% protein.

1 Like

is important to remember that, especially for older, less efficient bodies without a specific protein restriction, protein is one of the more important body building and maintenance nutrients.
Better to feed a bit too much protein that be short.

That is where alfalfa with its complete protein profile fits, but has to be fed at sufficient volume, the primary source, not just a bit.

7 Likes

that’s just a condensed version of the Grass Advantage ration balancer. More or less double most of the nutrients, at half the serving size. So, nutritionally, it has to be treated like a regular ration balancer, and not something you’d add on top of a full serving of another ration balancer

1 Like

I struggle feeding alfalfa with an easy keeper. My guy gets 4 flakes of grass hay per day in a slow feeder. I can reach 1 to 1 as that would be way too many calories. Would you feed 1 grass, 1 alfalfa per feeding?

Reading thru everyone’s responses- thx BTW- I am realizing I have created this issue. I have been so focused on my guy’s weight, I have lost sight of supporting his aging body and its needs :frowning:

4 Likes

I wanted to report back as to the changes I made and the outcome. My horse is doing AMAZING. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Here are the changes I have made

1. Moved to a new barn that is feeding a much higher quality hay.
  2. Grain is now Tribute Wholesome Blends 8oz 2xday
  3. After much experimenting I have had the best results with SmartMuscle Mass.
  4. Adequan to address underlying old man issues.

At 22, my spicy boy is now offering passage, usually at inopportune times, however it does make me laugh, and reminds me that I probably need to lighten my seat and not grip with my thighs!

17 Likes

Amazing!!!

My guy went downhill a couple weeks ago with his muscle mass, out of nowhere. Upped his top dress to another cup, had saddle fitter re-check his saddle as he had lost most topline. 2 weeks in with the changes and he’s back to himself! <3

3 Likes

Are you referring to this one?
https://madbarn.com/product/aminotrace/

1 Like

AminoTrace+ is a full-fledged forage balancer

Three Amigos is their AA-specific product

1 Like

Sorry what IS pillar work?

Thanks for the update! I was just asking myself the same question about my new-to-me 22 year old schoolmaster, who came to me with very little topline.

I feel like my diet/maintenance is very similar to yours with the exception of the SmartMuscleMass. What else did you try? I’m trying to isolate what I might add.

I tried adding alfalfa for the protein, flax seed and hemp seed for fat, ProElite Topline Advantage, a Cavalor feed. I did not try the RedBarn product however, it was going to be my next option.

For my guy, I do think the Adequan has helped his overall comfort which has helped with muscle development. Att 22, my horse has required next to nothing for joint maintenance. Each Spring, I do a lameness assessment and nothing has been identified as an issue. So adding the Adequan was more of a trial rather than a specific need.

You may wish you hadn’t asked :wink:

1 Like

I have tried the Amino Trace +, but my horses don’t find it very palatable. I have to hide it in large quantities of soaked hay cubes and even then my older horse starts leaving his feed partially eaten after a few days. It is basically Omniety with aminos.

I prefer the Three Amigos which is just the three amino acids. I was buying each one individually before Mad Barn brought out the all in one product. Both horses eat it well on the smaller amount of soaked cubes each gets.

1 Like

What a great insight. We recently lost a horse at age 28. The vet said he was in better condition than any other patient she had anywhere close to his age.

Alfalfa was a major component of his feed from his mid-teens on, depending on what he could eat. First it was hay, then soaked cubes (but he didn’t really like “runny” food, so it was drained a bit then served on top of his dry ration) then various brands of pellets (I had a hard time getting good quality) then Equidine, available at many Tractor Supply stores. For the last several years he was on equal parts Equidine, Purina Senior, and Purina Rolled Show Oats plus pasture 24/7. The Rolled Show Oats would get damp in his mouth and make it easier for him to chew. (He did have all but one of his molars and could graze until the end.

BTW, he was hit with one of neurological things, probably EPM. It turns out that old horses, even if in excellent shape, can have too little immunity.

If your horse can chew the alfalfa and does not waste too many leaves, I would recommend alfalfa hay along with the grass. But all of the leaves will lend up on the floor with a hay bag.

I am very happy with the consistent quality and easy-to-chew Equidine. It is intended to be the only food. I learned of it from our cutting horse trainer, who feeds the whole barn Equidine and does not have to haul hay to the shows or buy various local hay on the road.

Our younger horse, the one with little hair that is featured in another thread, came home entirely on Equidine and we cut her back as needed to balance her calories now that she has pasture 24/7.

If you use Equidine, do note that it contains enough mineral supplement to be a complete ration, so if you use mineral supplements just don’t overdo.

Some horses just can’t tolerate alfalfa, and you will know this pretty quickly if you try it.

1 Like

Sara78, If you have seen the Lipizzaner performances you have probably seen horses working between pillars. Those of us who are not at the level of the Spanish Riding School have no business using them. For the SRC it is a means of training young horses in self-carriage and building the muscles they need for their very constricted (my words) slow gaits and airs above the ground, without the weight and distraction of a rider during the training. The premise of these beautiful (my word) exercises is their long-ago use in very packed battlefields where most fighters were afoot.

2 Likes

Reasonably certain that is not the pillar work that was being referenced. There are no physical pillars and there is definitely nothing close to piaffe work.

I mean, if proper pillar work was being referenced, then sure, it’s a great way to build a horse, but as you said, none of us have any business doing it!

2 Likes