Unlimited access >

How to Write a Resume

It has been brought to my attention that I have not the slightest clue how to write a resume. If there are some pointers/vague guidelines that someone could suggest, that would be great.

(working student position)

There are lots of websites with examples and tips on how to write a resume.

General advice: List achievements and activities that demonstrate responsibility, commitment, initiative, and leadership, even if they are not obvious things like awards, jobs, and memberships. For example, did you start your own pet-sitting business? Were you section leader in your high school band? Did you help someone campaign for a student office? Did you volunteer at the local animal shelter? Highlight these things.

Edit carefully for grammar and spelling. I was on a search committee for a position in my department, and we rejected a highly-qualified and experienced candidate because of an error in her cover letter. Don’t let this happen to you.

Here you go: http://susanireland.com/resume/how-to-write/

And Dewey is correct. Even a single typo will often get your resume tossed into the “oval file.”

Ditto on the typos. I know it may seem petty but it gives such a bad impression that this person didn’t care enough to proofread.

When deciding what experience to put on your resume, try to focus on why a given job or project is relevant to the WS job you’re applying for. Don’t just list positions and achievements and expect the hiring manager to connect the dots. Don’t assume they’ll understand how those achievements will translate to success on THIS job. Let’s say you held down two jobs while also attending college. Describe this in terms of “demonstrated ability to juggle competing priorities”, “thrive with a busy schedule and varied responsibilities,” “have often worked long hours to ensure your employer’s goals are met”.
Your resume is not really about you, it’s a chance to demonstrate that you understand what the employer needs and how you will fulfill those needs. So make sure you’ve done research on the employer-- what do you think their strengths and challenges are? (what’s their niche in the market? Do they not have one and perhaps need to develop a more clear identity? are they growing their training program or recently gotten a new trainer? Is their focus on marketing youngstock?)
Once you have written it, ask a couple people to review it, people who you trust will give you critical feedback. If you’re comfortable with your BO or trainer knowing that you’re applying, they’d be great sounding boards. Be sure to send those reviewers a nice thank you note.

From your other posts it sounds like you are still High School age… check into any resources your school may offer. The Guidance office or similar probably offers resume help.