Unlimited access >

How Will Hunting be Next Season?

Thinking about this after so many weeks of isolation. I know the last hunt I went to in February I stayed back and left early. I think hunt breakfasts will be greatly changed. Otherwise, we can just go, touch our own horses and vehicles and maintain a distance. What do you think?

We will know when fall arrives whether the virus is still an issue limiting group gatherings. The actual hunting should be okay. If the virus is still active then handling of the hounds to and from the runs and/or hound truck would need to be managed using best practices.

Usually my horse gets a bit of a let down after the season but that hasn’t happened this year. While she isn’t being hard we are getting out 3 days a week for quiet trail rides which is bliss.

For a few years there has been talk about catering hunt brunches instead of members taking turns cooking (club has a full kitchen, bar, and dining room). I am all for catering,a s a solo member it is a challenge to cook for 50 by myself. Some members already cater from the country club rather than hassle with cooking for the mob. I suspect dues will rise if all 48 meals are catered for the season . . .or it might become bring-your-own-food . . .I could do that easily --better in my mind than raising dues!

We only provide breakfast on weekend hunts and members sign up to host one with two or three other members. This helps keep the cost down.

After the hunt on Wednesday anyone who wants to eat goes to a local diner where there is ample trailer parking for the rigs.

Battle Creek Hunt Club has a box stall (very nice) for each member’s horse. We put horses into the stalls, then enjoy the appetizers and buffet set out at the hunt club --this is every Thursday and Sunday when we hunt. Providing a meal has been a part of membership for 95 years --don’t know that it will change soon . . .

Interesting to hear how your hunts do breakfasts. Wow, having a stall for your horse sounds luxurious! Many of our hunts are in the middle of nowhere, so no stalls. We mostly tailgate with a pot luck. I’m thinking that if we get more waves of infection we might not be doing that.

The social side of hunting is as important as the hound work and the riding. Having a conversation on the back of a horse shouting across a minimum 2 metres social distancing… That idea makes me smile!

I guess it will depend on where we are with virus. Like other hunts, our breakfasts are out in the middle of the field. Usually, everyone pitches in and brings food. Once we get to the formal season here are special breakfasts and those are assigned by teams. So no one person has to do all the cooking.

I would think land owners would have a say in whether they allow hunting. I would not see why they would object since we are not in their house, barn or other facilities but you never know.

@xeroxchick Here is a short 3 min video of Battle Creek Hunt Club where I ride --shows the stable at the start -and part of the clubhouse at the end. This is my favorite video of the club --but there are others on YouTube. FYI I am in this video --wearing a black coat riding a bay horse (joke–pretty much everyone looks the same!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2zwGocX7f0

1 Like

@Foxglove that would be so much fun–getting ready with others, I mean. I haul in from quite a distance and am always alone in the barn at the wee hours putting on the spit shine.

Nice!