Unlimited access >

How will this affect California Chrome's future stud career

[QUOTE=LaurieB;7615699]

If he had Tonalist’s female family: Toll Booth, Toll Fee, Missy Baba, wow! That would also make a difference. Instead he comes from a line of mares who struggled to win in lower level races. It’s been proven time and again. Female family matters when it comes to good racehorses having the ability to reproduce their own quality.[/QUOTE]

Drumtop too. That is a good line. I’ve always looked for it in OT prospects.

I’d say Chrome’s pedigree is a desirable one because he’s aligned a little differently than most. Too many people are chasing the same old pedigrees over and over again thinking those lines and that pedigree is the one and only way to success. A lot of times; the most successful are that because they are not the “norm”. I think Chrome will offer a lot for those looking outside the “norm” box

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;7614376]
“best of a lousy foal crop”[/QUOTE]

How can they have a bad year for horses? Did they have too much rain, a sudden frost?

Things that might effect a years worth, a virus that affects the mares, economic downturn, a war, those are all I can think of.

I think I just answered my question 2010 was still in the recession, But a limited foal crop shouldn’t be a bad one, you hold back breeding the mediocre and breed the best so this should be a better than average foal crop …Right???

[QUOTE=Rosem;7615917]
How can they have a bad year for horses? Did they have too much rain, a sudden frost?

Things that might effect a years worth, a virus that affects the mares, economic downturn, a war, those are all I can think of.

I think I just answered my question 2010 was still in the recession, But a limited foal crop shouldn’t be a bad one, you hold back breeding the mediocre and breed the best so this should be a better than average foal crop …Right???[/QUOTE]

Hey, it wasn’t me that made a comment about “lousy foal crop”. I was quoting someone else :slight_smile: and calling for Vineyridge to help us understand cc’s pedigree

[QUOTE=Rosem;7615917]

I think I just answered my question 2010 was still in the recession, But a limited foal crop shouldn’t be a bad one, you hold back breeding the mediocre and breed the best so this should be a better than average foal crop …Right???[/QUOTE]

What I was referring to when I said that was the QUALITY of the foal crop versus previous years.

When a good horse wins someone will always blame it on a low caliber of competition.

Instead, say, “that’s genetics” just when we think we’ve got understood, it oozes away. Albert Einstein’s father sold feather beds, and Albert’s family thought he was retarded at one point.

…and Michael Jordan got cut from his high school basketball team

…someone told Walt Disney he had no “imagination”

How will mare owners react to California Chrome’s front leg conformation, which was on full display during all the racing coverage?

Just curious.

[QUOTE=lb2005;7618805]
How will mare owners react to California Chrome’s front leg conformation, which was on full display during all the racing coverage?

Just curious.[/QUOTE]

Doubt it would be an issue, unless it is also a weakness in the mare.

When I worked the sales, toeing out was generally a minor fault; some consider toeing in far worse for future soundness. From what I’ve seen, he breaks through his knee pretty well despite turning out. Unless California Chrome sustains a serious injury directly related to his conformation, his lack of correctness will likely be of little concern.