Unlimited access >

How's the weather where you are? What are your horses wearing?

You can generally tell a person’s location by his or her clothes. For example, I live in Florida, and right now I’m wearing a long sleeved T-shirt and a pair of PJ pants. However, Florida’s weather suffers from multiple-personality disorder and just three days ago I was wearing a tank top and shorts.

The current weather here is 50 degrees on the nose, with a low of 34 degrees expected. Brrrr, cold. You know, it really wouldn’t be so bad if we had time to prepare for this weather. But no, while you people up north have the down jackets and fuzzy sweaters, all year us Floridians have bought nothing but T-shirts and now we’re suffering.
Anyway, what are your horses (to the best of your knowledge) currently wearing? Miss Mare is wearing a medium-heavy Rider’s turnout blanket, Griffen is wearing a burgundy Schneiders stable blanket, and my miniature horse has enough hair to furnish fur coats for two millionares’ wives, thus I’ve left her nekkid.

~Erin

the “do I or don’t I blanket” tonite scenario-mainly because I have to pay to have it done…so it is going to be a low of 30ish tonight, but I notice right now at almost 9 pm that it’s raining out. Great. He has shelter and it isn’t blowing, so we are going to stick with the naked thing until it stays cold enough during the day-it’s been getting into the mid-50’s, so it is still plenty nice out still -gorgeous autumn weather.

“If you haven’t gotten where you’re going,you probably aren’t there yet.”-George Carlin

I’m in blanketing limbo - night before last it was freezing, today it’s going to be in the 60s.

I’m TRYING to keep the ponies from growing huge coats, cause we’re trying to keep in shape and doing some dressage shows this winter, and I really don’t want to clip if I can get away with it.

So, last night they both had their snug blankets on, and today they’re nekkid.

I am in the twilight zone, too. It’s too warm to blanket, but I have been feeding a coat supplement and putting on daysheets. Hammie’s is a custom-made silver one with burgundy binding. I had to get the ripstop material, and it only came in this metallic silver, so my mother says Hammie looks like a baked potato in it.

My husband was moaning today about “the cold weather”. I think it was 70 degrees and overcast. Hey, I own three down parkas at last count. I wanna wear them, but I’m not even up to a sweatshirt yet. Just don’t let it rain.

“Friends don’t let friends eat fish tacos.”

I thought

I could escape the coldness down here in Florida! When we were moving from Pa, I contemplated about getting another sheet, but told myself “no”.

WELL, now it is in the low 60-50 and Pilot is growing in his coat as if he is preparing for a PA winter, and not a Fl one

So he is wearing a light weight cotton sheet for now. I’m thinking this year is the year to clip him!

Jen &*** Pie***
“It is easy to live in the world after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live in your own;but great is the one who in the midst of a crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.” R.W.E.
http://hometown.aol.com/pithegr8t/PiePie.html

It’s in the upper 80’s here in sunny Scottsdale, Arizona. The lows have been in the 50’s. Needless to say, my horses sleep in the nude

http://members.home.com/hagys/sabainspage.html

Here in Edmonton, it is a bit on the cold side with snow on the ground. However, my girls are still nekked and won’t be wearing any blankets until it gets really truly cold.

Upper 80’s to low 90’s STILL. All the way down to the 50’s.

Bud is wearing FUR. I guess winter is coming sometime. Too soon to blanket, too soon to bodyclip. I hate this time of year.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

Mine are all “nekked” and will stay that way unless the gelding gets trace clipped after the Royal this weekend. I blanket when the wind and moisture are awful, otherwise, they just spend the winter looking shaggy.

SLW

You can generally tell a person’s location by his or her clothes. For example, I live in Florida, and right now I’m wearing a long sleeved T-shirt and a pair of PJ pants. However, Florida’s weather suffers from multiple-personality disorder and just three days ago I was wearing a tank top and shorts.

The current weather here is 50 degrees on the nose, with a low of 34 degrees expected. Brrrr, cold. You know, it really wouldn’t be so bad if we had time to prepare for this weather. But no, while you people up north have the down jackets and fuzzy sweaters, all year us Floridians have bought nothing but T-shirts and now we’re suffering.
Anyway, what are your horses (to the best of your knowledge) currently wearing? Miss Mare is wearing a medium-heavy Rider’s turnout blanket, Griffen is wearing a burgundy Schneiders stable blanket, and my miniature horse has enough hair to furnish fur coats for two millionares’ wives, thus I’ve left her nekkid.

~Erin

So, its take your best guess here too. Promise is wearing her light blanket - early for her, but we are still in the process of putting weight on her and I don’t want her expending any energy just keeping warm.

Stormy is naked, and beginning to look like a yak. I won’t blanket him until the temp is in the 30’s during the day and the 20’s or lower at night.

I don’t like to blanket at all, and if I had normal horses, I wouldn’t. But Promise is too frail, and Stormy is too old, to go without some kind of protection during our sometimes harsh winters.

Maybe 35 degrees for a low? I don’t know, but it’s always a few degrees colder at the farm. William is wearing Kate’s super-thin Miller’s cheapie stable blanket (which he promptly ripped a hole in that I, being the redneck queen that I am, fixed with duct tape) and Toga is wearing some closed front blanket that I borrowed since I don’t have anything that fits him. Who knew a 16h2 horse could wear a 74" blanket?

Last year I asked my trainer if I should buy some really discounted Rambo blankets for my guys. She said that there wasn’t really any need for heavy turnouts… Of course, today she comes wandering up wanting me to find the best deal on 14 heavy-weight waterproof, breathable turnouts for the farm. Argh!

I blanket when the wind and moisture are awful, otherwise, they just spend the winter looking shaggy.

Thank god, I’m not the only person who ever let their horse get disgustingly fat and shaggy every winter. I owned one blanket in my life… my mom made it, my dear departed App destroyed it.

“People… they’re so
complicated. I suppose
that’s why I prefer
horses.”

It’s 29 here in PA, so figure around there at the barn, which is an hour south of here.

Dunn isn’t wearing a darn thing to my knowledge, although someone may have put his blanket on now that it’s getting this cold out. Usually though we only blanket him when it drops below 30 during the day as well as at night. Then again, he lives outside 24/7 so we want him to have some natural protection (ie. the wooly mammoth coat he grows).

“Technology is my friend, and sooner or later I will beat my friend into submission.”

I am still feeding horses at 5 am in shorts. The weather here is gorgeous-only mid fifties this am. The big horse Trahkener sports a mild winter coat and is about to get a trace clip in a few days to help with the work he gets. The pony of the brown and white breeding does have her normal thick coat with winter coat on her ears. But this year it seems less wooly than usual. Again she will be traced clip also in a few days. Both will then wear blankets overnight. Because the temp in the daytime was up to 80 yesterday. We still need to remember to use hats and sunblock.

It was a brisk 82 here today. Miss Mare is sporting the ever-so-popular winter coat with a dash of glistening sweat.

Hobson’s nekkid too, although his pasturemates are all bundled up in medium-weight blankets. I just let my horses get fuzzy, and plan my cool-down time accordingly. The herd at my barn stays outside as much as possible, so Hobson occassionally dons a rain sheet to stay dry. More often than not he just removes it anyway, but luckily he’s a tough boy, and can stay in good weight even in cold weather.

Momo is already wearing his winter coat and winter blanket at night!

Court!! and Momo feels the same way.