Unlimited access >

HS Duo-Type Bit in 18 or 20 mm?

Does anyone know of another brand/maker who has a HS Duo-type bit that I can get in 18mm or 20mm? The HS website only shows the Duo in 16mm, but my young horse really seems to do better when it’s wrapped in 2 layers of Sealtex. I think he likes that he can move the middle of the Duo, but when it’s not wrapped he obsesses about getting one side of it up in his molars so he can chew away.

Does anyone know the diameter of the Happy Mouth mullen? Does anyone have experience switching successfully from the Duo to a Happy Mouth mullen?

Eventually I need to find something else if I’m going to show rated dressage - I don’t think I can show with a wrapped bit.

I was in the same boat as you, and ended up searching until I found a place that would ship this bit:

https://www.trust-equestrian.com/bits/?lang=en

They were the only ones who offered it in a larger size (18-20mm).

Happy Mouth Mullen is 20mm

I don’t find Happy Mouth to be equivalent to a Duo. The seams ripped my horse’s mouth apart on the HM. Beris makes an 18mm loose ring mullen that is very similar to a Duo, maybe a bit softer.

Thanks all. Someone led me to the HS Nathe in 20mm, so I am waiting on one of those. I’ll keep the Trust, Beris, and HM on my list if needed. I have no plans to show soon, so I’ve got time.

1 Like