Unlimited access >

Hulsebos Saddle?

Anybody here ride in one? I’m looking for feedback from people who would either ride in them or have tried them. What do you like and dislike about them? Or they good for the horse and are the horses happy in them? Thanks in advance.

I searched for two years for a saddle for my horse and me. Part of the problem was I was determined to get a brown one. I had never heard of Hulsebos but they had a rep coming to my area so I scheduled a fitting. I am in love with my saddle I ended up with a used one that is black. But worth every penny and Ricardo was fantastic to work with. Both of my horses love it also. I do put a mattes pad on when I am ridding the little guy. Went trail ridding in it and my back and knees did not hurt at all. I recommend them for sure.

I sat in one that fit my horse ok but the minute I sat in it I got right off and moved on to try the next saddle (my fitter had a few). It was odd. I didn’t like the seat, there was nothing there for my leg. It was strange to me. There are a few different models, so I can’t say this is true for all under brand. I wish I could recall the model.

A saddle is good for the horse if it fits correctly. Brand is irrelevant. A Hulsebos could be terrible for my horse, but perfect for another.

Saddles are such a personal preference. Hulsebos is my preferred saddle brand. I’ve rode in them for years, different models, on different horses, for upper and lower levels, and have no complaints. I recently purchased a different brand of saddle and while my horse liked it, I just couldn’t get used to it. I ended up going back to Hulsebos for a custom saddle to make both me AND my horse happy. I did try to go the cheaper route… oh well!

I rode in a older one for a couple years. In the long run the twist was way too wide for me, but I like a super narrow twist. It was the only one I ever rode in so I don’t know if a different model would’ve suited me better. Loved the quality. I’m sure whoever has it now is still going strong with it.

I often describe my preferred twist as riding on the narrow edge of a 2x4 going uphill at a 45 degree angle.

I searched for the right saddle for a couple of years. These saddles immediately made a difference in the way my horses moved. I love mine.

I have a M tree, 17 inch close contact dressage one for sale, used for 3 years. I sold the horse.

I love my saddle and the fitter, Jan is great to work with. He is very experienced and not a pushy sales person. I have seen him spend almost 2 hours with a horse/rider and taking the time to listen and find the right saddle for both, and it was not always a new one. He is good about if a demo or used one is “the one” will not try to sell the custom/new one over those. He is excellent at evaluating what shape of tree is best. I have a used DY3 that was for my former horse, that when I got a new horse and needed to see if it fit him he immediately was happy with the fit/shape. He could have suggested I replace it and buy a new one and I would have been fine with that.

My barn is full of Hulsebos. Jan, or one of the other fitters, comes around 2x a year. I had a custom one made for my horse and he loved it, as did I. The quality seems great. Pretty much everyone at my barn is a fan.

I loved my Hulsebos and I initially dealt with Jan directly. I eventually sold it because I could no longer get it serviced in my area. If you have access (and continued access) to a Hulsebos representative, I would suggest trying the saddles and see if you find one suitable for you and your horse.

Service is a problem. I run into them here in the midwest. The owner use to come into the area every 6 months or a year. However now they are sending other fitters and a lot of people are having issues.

Their service is not very good. Once they told me this at all they were at all interested in answering any emails. The saddle hurt me horribly in my private area it rolled around on the horses back and if you did a medium trot across the diagonal the back of the saddle would fly up and down and just about catapult you over the head of the horse. The girth started peeling after a couple months. I don’t have much good to say and I can’t recommend a hulsebos saddle. Even my veterinarian commented on how poor the fit was and it had just been professionally fitted by the company!

1 Like

I tried a prospect in one of these last year and loved it. I was quite surprised actually as it has a deep seat and fairly large thigh blocks, both of which usually frustrate me, but the narrow twist was just right and I felt supported without the restricted feeling that often comes with Dutch-inspired saddles.

1 Like

They are back in the US doing fittings after being out for a while, have you contacted then to let them help you in person?

I sure did. Twice. No response.

That’s odd. I am on their mailing list plus they are responding to text messages and emails. So not sure how you are contacting them but they will be in the Midwest the next few weeks.

Which model was it? I’m looking for something with large thigh blocks and a wide seat but with a narrow twist? I have a Gypsy Vanner

Sent you a PM.