Human Sacroiliac injections

I’m scheduled to have one next Wednesday.

Others who have had them done, please tell me about them. They will be using an ultrasound as a map.

They typically will inject dye and do it under fluoro. Fluoro acts as a real time xray so they know exactly how deep to go and what direction they are aiming for. Are you having IV sedation? Typically, they offer IV Valium if you choose to have it. You will need a driver to take you home.

They numb up the area where they plan to insert the big needle really well with lidocaine. You will feel pressure when they inject the dye and probably burning when they inject the steroid. Taking deep breaths is key. Let your physician know when you need a break. If you have inflammation in your lumbar spine, a really good physician can manipulate the steroid towards that area too, if needed.

It hurts like the dickens, but worth it hopefully in the end. I have had them 4 times a year for the last 9 years. Any relief from pain is a worth it!

Does this help?

It does help a bit. I’ve been told very, very little. I have no idea about levels, as they were not mentioned.

Will being very overweight make much difference? Nothing that I can do about it now obviously.

Being overweight adds to overall back and SI joint pain, purely by pressure on joints. It shouldn’t matter during the procedure unless one is morbidly obese. Ice will be your friend post procedure.

I amended my original post to clarify what I was talking about when I mentioned levels.

One pound lost removes 4lbs. Of pressure on joints IIRC.

I’ve had one injection, and had very good results. After a week the pain was much more manageable. The injection itself wasn’t comfortable, but I left the office and went straight to the barn…

I had it yesterday. Shot itself wasn’t bad at all, but I thought it was going to be a failure since the lidocaine part didn’t immediately stop the pain from twisting. But a couple of hours later, I could twist without pain. Last night was completely painfree, and today has been as well. The actual injection site is a bit sore, but it all ended up being a piece of cake. Doctor had an entourage from the local medical school and his clinic who watched the whole thing.
Before he did anything, the doctor did a really good job of explaining what was about to happen.
I have to say it has been a very positive experience in every way.

I had it yesterday. Shot itself wasn’t bad at all, but I thought it was going to be a failure since the lidocaine part didn’t immediately stop the pain from twisting. But a couple of hours later, I could twist without pain. Last night was completely painfree, and today has been as well. The actual injection site is a bit sore, but it all ended up being a piece of cake. Doctor had an entourage from the local medical school and his clinic who watched the whole thing.

Before he did anything, the doctor did a really good job of explaining what was about to happen.

I have to say it has been a very positive experience in every way.

Of course, I’m not discounting a possible placebo effect.

Viney, yay! I’m glad it seems to have helped. :yes: :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=vineyridge;7754055]
I’m scheduled to have one next Wednesday.

Others who have had them done, please tell me about them. They will be using an ultrasound as a map.[/QUOTE]

What substances are you having injected? Sometimes people get cortisone or other injected there; other times one gets PRP or prolotherapy. The two are completely different modalities - one is an antiinflammatory, while the other provokes inflammation with the goal of promoting healing.

I had PRP in my SI joint, and felt that it helped.

Ah - never mind, I see you had it. Glad it seems to be helping!

OK guys - was just going to start a new topic along these lines and found this!
Hope you don’t mind me adding my woes, vineyridge!

I’ve had a few bad riding falls - always land on my right hip - and that is no doubt part of my right S/I joint pain, along with right leg slightly shorter than other and a couple difficult childbirths.

PT thinks I have an anterior right ilium rotation and the right S/I joint is very loose, along with the leg length discrepancy.

Orthopedic surgeon see a lot of inflammation in right S/I joint and pubic symphysis and is having me tested for Ankylosing spondylitis, which I hope to hell is isn’t. But no hip rotation. He wants to do injections and also fuse the joint.

Seeing a Chiropractor who used to ride to see what HER opinion is.

My questions:

1. Has anyone ridden with a rotated pelvis - I think it would cause issues for the horse and indeed my mare did have some issues which were treated.

2. How is riding after the joint injection? And did it impede you from knowing if PT/chiropractic was actually helping?

3. Has anyone had the joint fused? I understand that the S/I joint normally doesn’t have much movement, but did it impede your flexibility enough that riding was difficult/not optimal? I understand that it is a pretty big surgery and have no idea how long the average recovery period is.

4. Does anyone carriage drive with any of these issues? How is that?

Many thanks!