Hungry At The Horse Show. No food trucks in sight

I am ordering some aluminum can only recycling bins to put in the park and maintaining them. Obviously, there will be those who do not bother to utilize them but I figure many will.

2 Likes

Yes, I will tend to the machine and recycling boxes as often as needed.

2 Likes

That is an excellent idea!!! Thank you!!

1 Like

I had that idea years ago!! It was pointed out to me that the mobile tack shops would not like it. I still think it is genius!!

2 Likes

I have been having my family and barn friends taste test sparkling water for months now. I am definitely going with ā€œWeird Waterā€ from Austin, Texas as well as Waterloo or La Croix type waters. I will do some iced teas. It is a fun project and I am going to put a lot of effort into it as well as donate some profit back to horse park as it is a non profit.

I am loving all the feedback!!

5 Likes

Does it have to be can only in your area? If mixed use is a possibility that makes your drink selections easier. Also, people will not follow directions and will put bottles in anyway, so if you can take it somewhere without sorting it thatā€™ll be a bonus.

I usually pack out my recyclables at a horse show so I would be delighted to have somewhere on the grounds to leave them.

1 Like

Yes, I will do ā€œhorse show survival kitsā€ with Carmex, Advil, sunscreen, wipes etc.

This is my new business so I can change products according to the season and the event.

5 Likes

I decided to do can only since there is a much better chance that aluminum gets recycled compared to plastic.if people stick their plastic bottles in my bins marked for cans, I will take them to be recycled too. I just will not sell plastic bottles. I am on the hunt too for snacks that have better packaging but that has been challenging.

4 Likes

Maybe wet wipes, leather wipes and horse treats, too. Love the other suggestions as well.

4 Likes

A vending machine with Chapstick! Tell me where you are setting up, my trainer (motto: ā€œinside leg to outside rein and a Chapstick in every pocketā€) wants to come.

5 Likes

There was an incident with some Burtā€™s Bees chapstick at the Charleston Classic horse show years ago that resulted in my need for Carmex or Blistex with SPF on my person at all times!!

1 Like

I donā€™t know. I saw it in passing, but it was not in my line of sight all day, so I donā€™t know if it got a lot of use. Lol.

Oh I should be thanking YOU for helping be part of the solution and not the problem.

Hopefully other business owners reading on COTH will take note and join you as you set the trend!! :grin:

2 Likes

@Limerick definitely curiousā€”how hard was it to get ahold of a vending machine? And do you have to pay the horse park anything to keep it there?

Honestly Iā€™m feeling kind of inspired because thereā€™s a definite need where I am.

I canā€™t speak for Texas, but if itā€™s April or October in the Midwest and Iā€™m showing outsideā€¦ I will pay almost any price for instant hand warmers if a cold snap hits. If Iā€™m going to be miserable waiting for my ring to go at least my hands can be warm.

2 Likes

These, great easy semi healthy snacks, easy on the tummy.

2 Likes

Some of you have probably already seen this, but I love it so much had to share it here:

snoopy

5 Likes

Granola bars. Fizzy water. Something with caffeine. Nuun tablets or similar if the show provides water. Nuts. Dried fruit. Tylenol. Chapstick. Sunscreen.

An ice cream machine would be amazing when itā€™s hot, but thatā€™s probably a specialty item.

2 Likes

Using Burtā€™s Bees in the outdoors is like using Pam cooking spray on your lips

6 Likes

Not hard. I found a company in Ohio that makes them and they partner with a credit card reader company that will send me checks regularly from the sales for a small monthly fee.

Bingo. It was horrific.