Hungry At The Horse Show. No food trucks in sight

OK I may message you privately. What are the odds this company would be in Ohio (where I am) LOL.

Happy to answer questions!

Where did you see this? Trainer and I have had this idea for years now!

Salted almonds or other non peanut nuts are a great protein rich snack. Cans of wine are a great, low protein snack :grimacing:

9 Likes

It was in Canada at Caledon Park, a bit north of Toronto. I was told there is also one at the horse park near Ottawa, but I havenā€™t seen that one yet.

2 Likes

@MHM It was there this year at Ottawa near the office. Kind of on the side of the office building. Youā€™d pass it going on the little road in between the office and the grazing area. If that makes any sense! Itā€™s a great idea.

4 Likes

One of my trainer friends took a different path. She combined various last minute horse show accessories into a plastic box. She called it a ā€œpony packā€ or something like that, and had prototypes made. Trouble was, not every one thing was ever necessary at the same time. People didnā€™t want to pay for stuff they didnā€™t need right then. So a vending machine, where someone can choose what they specifically need at that moment, whether a drink, snack or hairnet and gloves, is a much better idea.

3 Likes

Thanks.

I havenā€™t been to Ottawa since the pandemic, but Iā€™d love to get back there. What a great facility!

Agreed! I hadnā€™t shown there since there were grass hunter rings so itā€™s been over a decade! Everything is much improved.

1 Like

Hi you! How many rings do they have with footing? That is awesome that is has become a better show facility!!

Hi!
So all of the rings except for the GP ring have some kind of footing other than grass. The ring that used to have the tree in it is now the pony/cautious adult ring. That footing doesnā€™t hold up like the others in the rain as itā€™s not the super fancy footing. Thereā€™s also the all weather ring for the jumpers- if I remember correctly it used to be a warm up ring. Very good footing. Sandy and materially. Thereā€™s now another warm up ring somewhat next to it between the Queensway and the All weather. Thereā€™s a warm up ring by the creek and next to the bridge back to the barn area. On the other side of the little roadway is the Creekside ring where the adults who wear brave pants and juniors ride. That has super footing and drains pretty fast. Then thereā€™s the GP ring- that hasnā€™t changed. Itā€™s grass and I suppose drainage of some sorts. I donā€™t believe they hold any Trillium classes in there anymore exempt for champs. This cautious adult will never be in that ring except for leading the very extra large pony and his small humans in the lead line class. The GP jumps can warm up next to it in the grass or up at the top by the main building. Thereā€™s a couple more lungeing/riding areas up at the top too. As of September thereā€™s a new ring for random hunter divisions to the right of the GP ring but over the little roadway. The barn area is better. Tonnes more space! Tents arenā€™t circus tents anymore. It flooded a few times last summer but the rain was just stupid and it drained quicky.

I recommend selling Coffee Crisps in the vending machine to give it an international flavour :grin:ā€¦I can be your dealer.

4 Likes

Ohh, another thought: Fig newtons.

Maybe a small pack/ziploc containing thread, needle, safety pins, glue, rubber bands, a small amount of duct tape/scotch tape.

4 Likes

Well then she also should do Aero!!!

1 Like

Good idea. Limerick, Tip says you MUST have Fig Newtons in the vending machine. You must.

3 Likes

Definitely go for variety. I hate walking up to a vending machine and seeing a whole bunch of very similar products. If Iā€™m not in the mood for that type of thing, then I might buy nothing. Have both healthier and junkier options.

Drinks - soda, at least one type that doesnā€™t have caffeine, at least one type that is diet/zero, sports drink, tea, lemonade, water, fruit juice, energy drink, some kind of cold coffee (when I still drank caffeinated stuff, there was a Starbucks vanilla or mocha frappuccino that came in a can/bottle that I liked)

Snacks - chips, popcorn, pretzels, crackers (PB/cheese), cookies, granola bars, chocolate bars, gummy candy, nuts/trail mix, dried fruit, meat sticks/jerky

2 Likes

I can send those too!:grin:

1 Like

AND a thread ripper, PLEASE!! :weary: I always forgot mine and had to take braids out once we got homeā€¦ made a long day even longer!

I agree with protein/high energy foods but I also agree with lighter stuff like the white cheddar popcorn, or plain chips. For us nervous nellies who have no appetite but need to eat something. Probably more popular with kids, too.

1 Like

This is awesome!!! And I have acquired a Nestle Chocolate dealer. :two_hearts::two_hearts:

It definitely wonā€™t be like a typical vending machine. I am approaching it from the stance of ā€œI just emptied 30 bags of shavings, filled 10 water buckets, unloaded 12 bales of hay, went up to ring 3 times and set jumps and damn it, I forgot to pack a sandwich but what to my blessed eyes do I see but a vending machine packed with protein, water, caffeine and sugar options.ā€ :wink:

9 Likes

Yes there is one at Wesley Clover Park.

Hereā€™s their website: https://www.roseandcrop.com/

1 Like

Youā€™re probably not pricing things yet, but Amazon has a number of variety packs of vending machine snacks. A few of these, plus a variety pack of granola bars and Pop Tarts would at least get you started. (I used to really like the Linden butter crunch cookies in school, something I only see at cafeterias and in vending machines). https://www.amazon.com/Cookies-Crackers-Nabisco-Cracker-Variety/dp/B08F364J7J/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1PUBWNUXDMV5I&keywords=vending+machine+snacks+for+business&qid=1672241936&sprefix=vending+machine+sna%2Caps%2C114&sr=8-11

1 Like