Unlimited access >

Hunt Pony! Where to list?

Hi everyone. Is there a popular website that folks use for marketing fox hunters? I have a special pony who LOVES the fox hunting job but unfortunately for me that is not my area of expertise. Looking for the best places to market her. She is with a great hunt trainer in Virginia who has done a great job but junior hunt riders seem to be unicorns just as much as the ponies are unicorns themselves.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s a great group on Facebook, although I can barely stand looking at horses on there because you’ll see all of the Irish and British horses listed for tens of thousands less than the US ones :joy::joy::sob::sob:

Whoever runs that page also has a webpage foxhuntinghorse.com. Maybe you can ask to list there as well.

I would also cross list to the specific ponies for sale, and maybe the eventing pages on Facebook.

The horse and hound website might be a good place to try!

Virginia Equestrian might be a good place if she is still in VA and available. http://www.virginiaequestrian.com

1 Like

There are some Facebook pages dedicated to fox hunting horses for sale. There actually are many juniors that fox hunt, and there are also petite adults that enjoy hunting on ponies. For juniors, there should be quite a number of them in Virginia, can you connect with a local hunt there?

To sell a fox hunting pony, you would want to be able to list the seasons the pony has hunted and with what hunts. It is helpful if a master at one of those hunts can vouch for the pony.

People may be reluctant to spend good money on a pony that has not hunted consistently over a certain amount of time as some horses/ponies start out great but then start to anticipate or get worked up over time. Also any horse or pony that is being sold as a hunt horse should be actively out in the field hunting as much as possible.

Just to brainstorm, right now some hunts are either doing end of season hunts focused on juniors or holding/getting ready to hold their qualifying hunts for the Junior Field Hunter Championships so there might be more juniors about in the hunt fields right now.

Good luck! Good hunt ponies are worth their weight in gold.

1 Like