Unlimited access >

Hunter Bit Question

Hi all. It’s been many years since I’ve been in the hunter ring. I have a spicy jumper mare that I’m planning on showing at a local show at the end of the month to help rebuild my confidence after a bad fall. Unfortunately this show doesn’t have jumpers so I’m going to be (laughably) in the hunters.

I’m not going to place (re: spicy jumper) but I want to be respectful to the judge and show organizer. Miss mare usually goes in a bomber blue kimblewick which I know isn’t hunter approved. I found a cheap pelham with a low port mouthpiece similar to her bomber and she schooled great in it yesterday. Are pelhams still acceptable in the hunters? I know D rings are preferred but spicy mare needs some leverage. Should I put a standing martingale on as well?? We’re going to be showing in a 2’3 open division if that makes any difference.

TIA!

A pelham is definitely appropriate. If it works for your mare than go ahead and use it. Does she need a martingale? If she doesn’t need it than I wouldn’t worry about it. If you think it makes a nice picture than go ahead, just make sure that it’s adjusted properly.

1. Snaffles, pelhams and full bridles, all with cavesson nose bands, are required.
    a. Judges may penalize, but may not eliminate, a horse or pony that competes in a snaffle, pelham, or full
    bridle that is unconventional. Unconventional snaffles, pelhams, or full bridles include, but are not limited to, hunter gags, kimberwickes, etc.

From the rulebook for Hunter divisions. The only thing I can’t find is what constitutes an “unconventional” snaffle, pelham, or full bridle…

As far as martingale, I don’t think it matters - but standing martingales are the only ones allowed, no running or german martingales like in jumpers.

Thank you all! She usually goes in a running. I do have an old standing lying around from my Junior hunter days (I’m in my 30s now). I’ll try it on her next time we jump and if she finds it acceptable I’ll use it for the show

Pelhams are definitely acceptable! I wouldn’t sweat it. Martingale is take it or leave it—if your horse has a super long neck or is a little unbalanced in appearance, I think they can help but I think we see fewer horses in them than we have in years past.

According to the rules (HU 105)

1. Martingales of any type are prohibited in Under Saddle, hack and tie-breaking classes. Standing and running martingales
    used in the conventional manner are allowed for all over fences classes. All other martingales are considered
    illegal. A judge must eliminate a horse or pony that competes in a martingale other than a standing or running
    martingale used in the conventional manner.

So running martingales are technically legal, but many judges still don’t like them

1 Like

Ah thanks for the correction.

Sometimes I just have to roll my eyes at all the “well it’s technically legal, but the judge will penalize you for it, so it may as well not be legal” rules that seem to exist in hunters lol. Seems like that’s the answer to most of the questions I go to the rulebook for.

2 Likes

I’d just show in the pelham and leave the martingale off. Some horses really object to them if they are not accustomed to them. Since the show sounds small, i.e. lacking jumpers, I’d reckon that “the look” is unimportant. You’re just going for some nice rounds. Have fun and don’t forget to support the snack shack.

2 Likes

Pelhams are absolutely acceptable. I have a horse that is a hunter and gets heavy, so it’s what I use. Rarely affects placing, especially for the lower levels! The standing martingale is more for the look, especially if your horse doesn’t actually need it. But if you’re regularly riding her in a running martingale or if she tends to go with her nose up and out, give it a try! Can’t hurt :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Last year’s version of the USHJA Study Guide for the Horsemanship Quiz Challenge stated than running martingales were not allowed in the hunters :roll_eyes:. I called them on it and this year’s version notes that they may be used but are considered unconventional.

Quick update- the show was yesterday and the spicy jumper was surprisingly mild. We managed to pull 3 thirds in some competitive classes and my confidence took a huge boost. Thanks again for the suggestions!

11 Likes

Did you use the pelham?

Yes, I did. She seemed pleased enough with it.

1 Like

So it seems the judge was OK with it, since you placed well.
Congratulations!

2 Likes