Unlimited access >

Hunter Breeding Advice

Looking to get into hunter breeding this year with my warmblood yearling. Looking for advice on training tips, bridles, what shows are good to go to, ect. I have lots of background with hunters and am new to this side of showing so looking for any tips and advice, Thanks!

Where are you located? Most of the HB classes are in the Mid Atlantic/East coast. The best way to get into it is go watch some classes and ask questions. Always good to get some coaching and there is such a thing in areas where HB classes are popular. Pony breeders also show on the line, a good handler in that arena can also be a valuable resource.

Just a regular hunter bridle will do-- you may have to buy a cob or even a pony bridle depending on head size, and 4 3/4 or 5" bit-- it seems like you see more D rings these days but I love full cheeks (with keepers) if their heads are really tiny.

Most of the training involves getting them really used to being handled/ groomed and hauled around and accepting new things (all of which are GREAT for babies to learn anyway.) Teaching them to jog in hand and stand square is relatively easy. Having someone to get behind them the first few times to encourage them to walk off and jog forward does help.

Miss the edit function…Almost didn’t open this thread as I thought you wanted to breed Hunters and about choked when the first line was “Looking to get into Hunter Breeding this year with my WB YEARLING”!?

I am assuming you didnt mean that literally but are talking about showing in HB classes?

Since tech issues mean most can’t edit anything, I suggest you just start a new thread “Want to show in Hunter Breeding classes, need help getting started” or some such, get you more help. Might want to post it over on Sport Horse breeding forum too.

[QUOTE=findeight;8994915]
Where are you located? Most of the HB classes are in the Mid Atlantic/East coast. The best way to get into it is go watch some classes and ask questions. Always good to get some coaching and there is such a thing in areas where HB classes are popular. Pony breeders also show on the line, a good handler in that arena can also be a valuable resource.[/QUOTE]

Im located in the midwest but my yearling is located on the east coast and is staying out there for the show season.