Unlimited access >

Hunter Derby Question

I am currently looking at all these horse show prize list and keep seeing “Hunter Derby” with some big money as the prize. What makes a hunter derby so great? Is it any different from a regular hunter? Does your horse need specific skills to do well?

Thanks in advance!

Just going to direct you to this thread: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?484395-What-to-look-for-in-a-Derby-Horse

Lots of your questions will be answered therein.

It depends on the calibre of the show itself. If you mean big money like $50,000 etc. then try youtubing USJHA hunter derbies, or Canadian Hunter Derby Series. These would be like a grand prix in jumperland. The fences are higher, the horses are the best of the best, mostly pros riding (unless it’s specifically jr/am).

If you mean big money like $5000, then you’ll probably see the same horses competing who showed in the regular classes all week. The course itself may be a little scarier, more fill, with higher options, and handy turns and nice gallop jumps will be rewarded.

If you mean big money like $5000, then you’ll probably see the same horses competing who showed in the regular classes all week. The course itself may be a little scarier, more fill, with higher options, and handy turns and nice gallop jumps will be rewarded.

Yep this is what I mean haha. The biggest prize I have ever gotten was $10:lol:This sounds really great though! Hope I can enter!

It’s a good goal to have. If you have a more forward horse they might do better in the derby than in a hunter division. They have two rounds, usually starting in late afternoon on Fridays at A shows. Because of the two rounds they usually extend past dark, so be prepared to ride under the lights. They also have an entry fee that is at least double the cost of a regular division. You have to braid as it’s formal. They are really, really fun! I would suggest trying one at a schooling show first.