Unlimited access >

Hunter Hack/Working Hunter attire at local show

Hi all,
I’m taking my horse to my local ag show in Townsville (Qld, Aus) on Saturday, and I’m hoping for some advice on what to wear in hunter hack and working hunter classes.

1. The program seems to say that if you enter both of those classes you can’t change gear in between, so I am planning to do both in my new (old, third-hand) black leather dressage/showing saddle, but I also have a black synthetic AP/jumping saddle that I could use, but the dressage one looks much nicer. Last year at the same show (which was my first time showing - this one will only be my third), the jumps were only about 50cm high in WH, because it was ‘too hard’ to change the height between the pony, galloway and horse classes. Which should I use? Should I have my stirrups at dressage or jumping length, or somewhere in between? And is a cream fleece half pad suitable?
  2. I have a new (second-hand) tweed jacket (plain buttons and collar) that I really want to get some use out of, but I also have a navy jacket (brass buttons, velvet collar). Which should I wear, and should I wear a stock (cream, with a little bit of bling) or tie with it? Would it be appropriate to wear my Australian Stock Horse Society tie, which is a nice bottle green colour that suits the tweed jacket, but has an ASHS logo on it?
  3. I have read that having a hunting whip ‘completes the picture’, but I don’t have one. I’m assuming not carrying anything would be better than carrying a plain black crop? I usually carry a crop when jumping just in case, but don’t really need to, especially when its only a couple of plain fences.
  4. Any other presentation tips?
  5. If anyone knows anything about hunter under saddle and hunt seat equitation (in the western section), what saddle, jacket and tie should I use for them?
    Thanks in advance everyone, and sorry for so many questions (and my overuse of brackets :D).
    ~Calin

I am guessing, based on your questions, that the show isn’t a North American one? Might be best to at least say where the show is, or look for a forum that is more local to you for guidance. :slight_smile: What is correct here might not necessarily be correct where you are!

I believe that Qld, Aus. is short for Queensland, Australia :slight_smile:

Since you are in Australia, I would recommend you ask your question on the Horse & Hound forums. Australian-showing is in line with UK-showing, so they would be better able to address your tack & attire questions. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Night Flight;8212598]
I believe that Qld, Aus. is short for Queensland, Australia :)[/QUOTE]

Whoops! I totally skimmed past that! :slight_smile:

Ok, thanks guys, I’ll try on Horse and Hound.

1. Use your dressage saddle, with dressage length stirrups - if the jumps are that small, you’ll manage. You should have time to adjust your stirrup length between classes though if you feel you need to. Cream half pad is appropriate.

2. Wear the tweed. Bling is not appropriate for hunter classes. Your ASH tie will be perfectly fine.

3. A plain black crop will be ok if you need it - as long as it is very plain and simple.

Have a quick Google for hunter under saddle photos - I would suggest a forward cut saddle (so your AP/jumping saddle), your tweed coat and a plain ratcatcher collar on your shirt.

Good luck - try Eques or Cyberhorse for Australian based forums :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help, cobiemurphy. We did very well over the weekend, winning our hunter hack class (not that there were many in it), and the western classes (no one else in them). We also got champion pleasure horse out of a good 20 or so.:congratulatory:

Great to hear - congratulations!