Unlimited access >

Hunter/Jumper Barns Central NJ

I am in a tough spot. I feel like the barn I’m looking for is a unicorn doesn’t exist.
What I’m looking for:

• Quality care for the horses with good turnout
  • A trainer that rides and can prepare/show my horse
  • A trainer who is willing to teach after 5 pm due to my work schedule
  • A trainer who goes to shows
    -A trainer who if they go to FL, either doesn’t go the whole circuit, or, has someone at home to teach and care for the horses

I’ve seen a few new barns pop up in the last few years in central NJ, but I just don’t know anything about them. Thoughts?

By Central NJ do you mean the Monmouth/Ocean County area? Colts Neck and Howell have quite a few barns.

No, Somerset/ Hunterdon County.

1 Like

Michael Dowling’s The Hill, in Far Hills, ticks every box.

1 Like

Are you looking or prepared to pay training board? Or are you looking for a boarding facility that has “pay-as-you-go” lessons? I think there are certainly a bunch of those out there in the Hunterdon County area, but you might also want to share what you’re comfortable spending for this perfect situation, as what you’re asking isn’t impossible, but would require a significant investment monthly.

Full training board would be great, I would be comfortable with up to $2,800/$3000 a month.

Who does Michael have riding for him these days?

Don’t know who his students are, but Michael Meyers is his barn partner and each has sent kids to the finals and indoors. One or the other goes to Florida. Dowling, in addition to being a Centenary instructor of more than 20 years, also is co-owner of Monmouth at the Team, the multi-day show at the USET grounds.

I very much enjoyed my time riding and working for Michael as a kid. I’d also check out Ithilien in Whitehouse. Leah is super nice and has a mostly adult clientele. She coached my college team for a few years way back when.

1 Like

Have a friend riding at Signature Stables (think it’s Jenn Tirrell). She seems very happy. They do go to Florida, but I think they have people at home and not sure if they go for partial or full circuit.

1 Like

Another vote for Michael Dowling at The Hill. It’s everything you listed that you want!

About half an hour east, but Alex Charles at Heron Stables. Best care, gorgeous facilities and Alex i a whiz at preparing horses and riders.

Hi, I sent you a PM

Another vote for Leah Epstein at Ithilien Stables, I rode with her for years and she changed my riding completely, and she stays in NJ for the winter. Not sure about her PM schedule but Sam Leuci at Leuci LLC in Califon is worth calling as well. Michael & Michael at Windham Hill are also lovely!

I grew up in Hunterdon County. I was there from grade school kid thru hs grad (2001 - 2008). Much of the barns I rode at likely are in FL much of the winter, and for much of my junior years I spent riding dressage with Roy Como, but some still local friends highly recommend Ithilien Stables.

Such a horsey area, I was very spoiled!

I am at Sam Leuci’s Leuci, LLC in Califon and am very happy. I have three horses in Sam’s program. Evening lessons are not a problem—she has two days each week that she teaches until 7:30 pm or so. Happy to answer any questions you might have, but sounds like we’d check all your boxes for sure! :slight_smile:

Monmouth at the Team dates are now owned by Claudine Liberatore and it has not been held at the USET grounds in several years now.

1 Like