Unlimited access >

Hunter/Jumper facilities in St. Petersburg, FL?

Hi everyone!

I’m headed off to college this August for school at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, and I’ve been looking around for some barns in the area (they don’t have to necessarily be in St. Pete itself). I’ve been riding for 8 years now and it’s the one thing I’m not willing to give up for school haha.

I’ve ridden at the same facility in those 8 years, although it has changed hands a few times, and most recently has undergone major renovations under the new owners. It’s operating now as a jumper facility, but my original trainer stayed and still works with me, so I’m continuing to do hunter jumper work, just with higher level jumper horses.

Ideally I’d like a place similar to where I currently ride, although I’m a bit torn between wanting a more laid back facility where I can relax and ride for stress-relief, and one that will provide me with more show opportunities (more of a show barn). While I’ve never really been interested in showing, recently it’s intrigued me more, and I may want to try a few shows, so a barn that offers that could be nice. Either way, I’m interested in really any of the hunter-jumper facilities in the area! While I won’t have a car my first semester, I know I’m not the only person who rides at Eckerd, and I should be able to find a carpool, so as long as the barn is within 30-45 minutes of Eckerd, it should be fine!

Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer some help ^^

I’m moving to St. Pete this weekend (marriage is bringing me down) and shipped my horse about a month ago. I wound up boarding her on the East side of Tampa in order to get turnout, but have some brief opinions of the places I visited and people I talked to if you want to pm me.

Also, if you are interested, depending on your level and availability, I have a TB mare that I may need a rider for should I find myself bearing children (which may well be while you are a student at Eckerd)!

Do you need a barn with lesson/lease horses or are you bringing a horse with you?

Check with Ann Pennington.

Can’t help with the barns but I am trying to convince my hubby to move to the St Pete area in 5-7 years. He graduated from Eckerd many, many years ago. I visited with him in March of this year for the first time. I LOVED St Pete. And found a place I really want to buy in Panther Ridge in Bradenton. Just waiting to win the lottery so I can afford 2 places at the same time - LOL

Campus is so peaceful and pretty! Good luck at Eckerd and with finding a place to ride.

I sent you a message!

I’ll need a facility that has lesson horses for sure. If I can find a reasonably priced lease that suits my level and I get along with I’m also definitely willing to consider that as well!

[QUOTE=perpetualfelicity;8160722]
I’m moving to St. Pete this weekend (marriage is bringing me down) and shipped my horse about a month ago. I wound up boarding her on the East side of Tampa in order to get turnout, but have some brief opinions of the places I visited and people I talked to if you want to pm me.

Also, if you are interested, depending on your level and availability, I have a TB mare that I may need a rider for should I find myself bearing children (which may well be while you are a student at Eckerd)![/QUOTE]

I sent you a message!

[QUOTE=BostonHJ;8160730]
Do you need a barn with lesson/lease horses or are you bringing a horse with you?[/QUOTE]

I’ll need a facility that has lesson horses for sure. If I can find a reasonably priced lease that suits my level and I get along with I’m also definitely willing to consider that as well!