Unlimited access >

Hunter/Jumper helmet?

[QUOTE=foursocks;7984646]
OneK helmets are nice and not expensive. I use mine for schooling, but I wouldn’t mind showing in it. I have a tiny pin-head and the small is a little big since I cut my long hair off, but adjusting the harness made it work again. If COs fit you (that is the only other brand that seems to fit me well), the OneK might be one to try.[/QUOTE]

I second this. I LOVE my OneK.
It was inexpensive, and it keeps me cool in the South Texas summers. It also looks great! I have also tried on the IRH’s, and they are great. The CO didn’t fit me. The OneK and IRH fit me great.

I third OneK, I don’t own one, but I know people that do.
Invest in one nice helmet, breeches, etc. you can go cheaper on. Ovation makes great breeches for showing, I wear them to school in but could definitely show in them if I needed to.

Oops, I was wrong about what I have. I have the Ovation Zephyr helmet, I think. My daughter has the <a href=“http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/PNWjumper/media/Facebook/2014%20Horses/10604628_10152718302273408_6722658915692992212_o.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5"”>Ovation Deluxe Schooler. Really can’t give a bigger thumbs up. Love the dial to fit system and love that the helmet is cheap enough to replace if I have a bad fall!

I would not consider the OneK inexpensive! I guess it depends on your budget and maybe someone will be on soon recommending the Antares though :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=BayDemon;7983839]
I wish I could have caught that Charles Owen when it was on sale, I could have picked it up![/QUOTE]

BitofBritain still has them on sale, with another 10% off that price if you enter “WINTER15” at checkout:
http://www.bitofbritain.com/Charles_Owen_JR8_Helmet_p/3098.htm

I actually replaced my GR8 with one, and have been pretty happy with it. I don’t love the way the harness fits my particular head, but overall, quite a nice helmet, for practically half the price of the GR8.

[QUOTE=Highflyer;7985196]
I would not consider the OneK inexpensive! I guess it depends on your budget and maybe someone will be on soon recommending the Antares though :)[/QUOTE]

$200 vs $500-800?
Do you call the CO inexpensive? The OneK is a nice, inexpensive, A show worthy helmet. I’m sure people have shown A in Tips, Ovation, etc… I’m just saying the OneK is the least expensive, other than a IRH, in the A show style helmets.

I don’t have ‘that kind’ of budget. I own a few pair of breeches, buy used, do self care board, and ride in a flat, old Crosby with a tear in the seat. I bought the OneK because of what I got for the price point. I would hold no reservations about matching into a WEF show ring with my OneK (unlike I had with my cheap, plasticy helmet). Like I could ever afford WEF! If someone can afford show fees ($100 bucks for three classes at a local h/j association) they can afford an IRH, OneK, or possibly CO.

Calabasas Saddlery in CA at 818-591-0292 has a few JR8 (7 1/8, 7 1/4, 7 3/8, 7 1/2) on sale 50% off - I saw it on their facebook page. Worth giving them a call if you are able to try it on elsewhere to see whether or not it fits.

Ok, so I wound up getting the Tipperary Sportage for schooling and schooling shows. Will see where we wind up after all the schooling shows if I am going to fork out more cash on a $200+ helmet. If I do decide that I can’t live without showing, then you can bet I am probably going to be shelling out that kind of cash on a good helmet. Preferably something I love. I did try an IRH, but I cant say I love the look or even the fit of it unfortunately. I was really hoping I did.

I also wound up buying a show shirt, boots that the calf actually fit (that may or maynot be leather. A helmet, a bridle, and everything added up to 281 bucks lol. Thank goodness my tack shop has layaway with 12% off!

FYI, if you can hold off until June for a show helmet, that is when Helmet Awareness day sales pop up.

I also fourth the recommendation for OneK. They are wonderful helmets that, if you can get during a 20% off sale (like Helmet Awareness) will cost you under $200 and is totally A show appropriate. I wore mine to Thermal and was surrounded by plenty of people wearing one too!

Jumpers- I love the tipperary and am fond of the similar looking uvex helmet as well.

Hunters- I’m going to second suggestions of International, JR8 and One K from a style standpoint alone.

Honestly, get what fits and what you can afford. The judge won’t care. Don’t let anyone small enough to think what’s on your head affects how your horse jumps get to you.

What is your budget range? I would definitely lean towards an IRH. For $200 you can get yourself a really nice helmet! Good luck! :wink:

Its definitely less than 200 bucks, but I wound up with a Sportage for schooling shows and lower rated shows, bought some pleather field boots since my Devon Aires are super tight on my calves, have to go get them stretched again. (Only 10 bucks! Score!). I now owe the tack shop 281 bucks in layaway…

[QUOTE=BayDemon;7994581]
Its definitely less than 200 bucks, but I wound up with a Sportage for schooling shows and lower rated shows, bought some pleather field boots since my Devon Aires are super tight on my calves, have to go get them stretched again. (Only 10 bucks! Score!). I now owe the tack shop 281 bucks in layaway…[/QUOTE]
Oh I wish you had said so, I have some boots I could’ve sent you if they’d fit. And a helmet if you happen to have a ridiculously small head.

I have the Ovation Deluxe Schooler. While it’s comfortable and light, I’m not comfortable showing in it.

For that reason, I elected to get the Charles Owen JR8. The GPA caused me severe headaches, most CO didn’t fit right, the IRH I liked but shifted so a friend suggested the JR8. I was able to get in a long oval and it fits well. It does still give me a bigger head than the ovation, but it was $150 well spent. No one has yet to figure out it is the junior model!

[QUOTE=BayDemon;7991081]
Ok, so I wound up getting the Tipperary Sportage for schooling and schooling shows. Will see where we wind up after all the schooling shows if I am going to fork out more cash on a $200+ helmet. If I do decide that I can’t live without showing, then you can bet I am probably going to be shelling out that kind of cash on a good helmet. Preferably something I love. I did try an IRH, but I cant say I love the look or even the fit of it unfortunately. I was really hoping I did.[/QUOTE]

Having had the Tipperary Sportage as my schooling helmet along with my Tipperary T2 for schooling, I can conclusively say that you have an Oval shaped head. I am Oval/Long Oval and can tell you from experience that IRH helmets will NOT fit you…they are for round heads. If you can squeak a bit more, buy an AYR8 (my show helmet) from England. I talked to the English seller and she said that they are cheaper there as English law prevents them from tax or markups on helmets. I think I paid close to $200 from buying across the pond on Ebay. The COs will fit similarly to the Tipperary’s as they are for Oval/Long Oval heads.

Also, one last tidbit. Don’t buy during the Helmet Awareness. Stores mark up the helmets…I’ve seen this in three tack shops in my Northern Illinois area…and once you add the 20%, it winds up being the same original retail price as it normally would.