Unlimited access >

Hunter Jumper Internships

I am a junior rider, and I’m looking to work at a barn next year. I’m willing to travel anywhere in the U.S., either a internship or paid internship. I want to learn from a top quality trainer. I know that Julie Winkel has a summer internship… Do any of you know what other trainers offer this? Thanks!

Go on yard and groom and look at working student positions.

There really is no formally recognized “internship” in H/J land and some of those that are offered, you not only don’t get paid, you pay them.

Like with many other professions, it’s not so much about talent or what you know, it’s about who you know and how you exploit those contacts.

Your best asset is your exsisting trainer and everybody you know from showing and who they can put you in contact with. If that’s a dead end, you need to look into getting a paid job as barn help or a groom. By all means investigate various “Working student” positions.

But beware the fact there is no standard definition of WS, it’s more about the work part then a learning environment and it’s rare indeed you would get paid unless you already possess specialized skills (drive the rig, fix the tractor, break colts, have a USEF or EC record at 1.3m+, National medal finalist etc.)

Those that have been named on here tend to be over on the Eventing side, I’d look over there. Maybe post on that Forum. I know there’s a few that come up repeatedly as possibilities but can’t remember.

If you are in a college program, formal internships are arranged through the head of your department. We hosted a lovely girl from Averett College last year who was with us for approximately two months over the summer, with a horse they loaned her as part of the deal. There was a lot of paperwork , including regular evaluations, on both sides. It was a very beneficial experience for all of us (Inner Bay, our summer intern, and Averett).

We don’t have as much going on this year, but next year will be busy again (we do a foal every other year, and the rest are of varying ages, from yearling to 8 yo) so will be offering another summer intern position next spring.

If you aren’t part of a formal program, the suggestions to look at Yard and Groom are good ones.

I was looking for some trainer names that do the “you pay them” type of thing(:

Driftwood Stables in PA had something similar to what you are looking for I believe.

[QUOTE=Mikaelaji;8767134]
I was looking for some trainer names that do the “you pay them” type of thing(:[/QUOTE]

Try Julie Winkle then, top quality program with ability to make lot contacts from one known to be honest, ethical…and tough.

Here you go. I would never pay to be a working student, but it is your money. https://www.yardandgroom.com/Jobs?SortField=PostedDate&SortOrder=Desc&Country=-NA&JobTypes=WorkingStudent&DistanceUnits=Miles

[QUOTE=Mikaelaji;8767134]
I was looking for some trainer names that do the “you pay them” type of thing(:[/QUOTE]

FWIW, a pro friend of mine who knows a BNT who runs a big one of these tells me the BNT thinks her payees are nuts… and that whole “a fool and his money” thing.

You couldn’t pay me to pay someone who thought less of me because I paid 'em.

Figure out what trainers you might want to ride with and send them emails explaining why you admire their program and ask if you can work for them. Make a list of at least 10 and send them an email. Add at the end that if they don’t have room could they recommend someone.

Ask your own contacts in the industry if they know of anyone who is looking or might know someone. These can be people you have lessoned with, cliniced with, catch ridden for, seen at horse shows, etc. Your farrier. Your teeth guy. Your vet. Ask the grooms what trainers their friends work for.

Get on facebook. Join groups in your geographic area. I have seen high quality programs dropping an ad in a facebook group.

Put up a profile in yard and groom. People looking scour the job seeker profiles and might contact you. Also look at the open listings and apply.

If you drive past a nice looking facility, drive in and ask if they are looking for anyone. If they say know ask if there is anyone they could recommend.

Don’t wait for an ad to apply. Apply anyway.

And for Christ’s sake do not PAY ANYONE to work for them!

If you are interested in Julie Winkle’s program, you should talk to Tiffany Odgers who is working at Aleron and Connor Hinckley-Patrick from Brick Road Farms. They are both in the area and have been through her program.

If you are looking for a program that will develop you as a rider, then look for programs that develop riders and be prepared to financially invest in your own horses to learn on. If you are looking to become a top instructor, then go to college and learn to teach (seriously - more horse trainers need a background in education). If you are looking to run a top program, then get a business degree.

Some of the most successful people I have seen in the industry started out as lowly up down instructors in a well established program and then kept their heads down, worked, learned, and developed and are slowly being handed over programs as the head trainers look at backing off and retiring. Look around any AA rated show in the PNW and you will see what I mean.

A tuition situation is not out of order if there is a lot of time being invested in teaching the skills necessary to perform a demanding job, and provide a network that will allow the working student to land one. Particularly when expecting an employer to carry the expense of a horse and/or housing. On the employer side, it’s not ok to take advantage, though.

Good arrangements are fantastic when they work for both sides, really bad when they go sour.

[QUOTE=findeight;8768124]
Try Julie Winkle then, top quality program with ability to make lot contacts from one known to be honest, ethical…and tough.[/QUOTE]

Second.

Julie’s program sounds like one for you. She will even help you find a job. I’ve had multiple friends go through it. I can’t say enough good things about her and her program.