Unlimited access >

Hunter/Jumper Show Attire Question

Hi there,
I have been getting more into showing lately (more access to horses/ponies) and have a question about show clothes. I am female-to-male transgender, and obviously prefer to wear men’s show clothing in the hunter ring. It hasn’t been a problem at the small, local shows I’v been going to. There were a couple of confused ring attendants when they saw my name vs. my appearance, but they didn’t say anything, just switched pronouns without commenting. Is this going to be a problem when moving up to more recognized shows where the rules are stricter? Even when I change my name, VA doesn’t let you change sex markers on drivers licenses unless you’ve had SRS, so in registering I would still be in as female. Basically, can I get disqualified for wearing the “wrong:rolleyes:” attire?
I know in jumpers attire rules are much more relaxed. (I prefer jumper but hunter is great for experience, and I love me a hunter derby:winkgrin:)

No one should give you any trouble. The attire is so similar and they’re just made to fit differently (and more pockets on men’s breeches, etc.) aside from the addition of a tie instead of a choker, so no one has any reason to care which you wear. Men and women compete against one another on equal footing, so attire is just attire.

Once you’ve changed your name, given that your gender isn’t a part of your entry form, no one should have need to question anything anyway! :slight_smile:

You can’t be disqualified for wearing the “wrong” attire. A good judge won’t be listening to your name and won’t notice anyway :slight_smile: The only differences in attire are pockets and a tie. If you want to be more subtle, you could wear a white tie. If you prefer a men’s cut jacket, make sure it still fits you. An ill-fitting jacket may start to take away from the overall picture, regardless of if it’s a men’s coat or not. You could definitely wear whites and a hunt coat in a derby, that is rulebook appropriate attire for both genders.

I would think you would be fine as the clothes are so similar. Even for a hunter derby both men and women are allowed to wear jackets; lots of women don’t wear a shadbelly anyways.

Are you bound by the gender identity on your driver’s license though as far as USEF goes? I don’t think it is a category that they mark.

Good luck with showing and let us know how it goes!

You should be able to chose your USEF name. I would be surprised if that is a problem. That might help. If you call USEF, they are generally very helpful.

Good luck and good on you for forging ahead!

take a look at the rules

nowhere, in hunter or equitation ( or in dressage) rules is there a gender distinction in turnout.

for females, a necktie was an old , accepted ratcatcher ( informal) turnout. The rules only says choker or tie, it does not specify what gender wears what.

A hunt or frockcoat is always correct turnout for formal. You do not have to wear a shadbelly.

For you, make a statement of who you are! For formal attire, a stock tie is always the most correct. A nicely tailored hunt coat, always in style.

It may all be unconventional ( by todays show standards, certainly not traditional hunt) but here is a clue. Judges often don’t notice.

I commented to one legendary BNT/ judge how nice it was to see a rider in black coat and stock tie ( at a hunter show) and he said, he had not noticed.

Do what is best for you and be proud.

Good luck in your wonderful opportunity to ride and show more.

General hunter show clothes - we all look the same no matter what gender ;). My fav pair of show pants I bought on consignment when I was recovering from surgery so needed a slightly different fit are- gasp- MENS! Squee I love them And no one ever noticed. I think the saddlery said they were men’s but it didn’t compute.

And congrats.

No problem, I should think. Just be sure that they fit you well, especially if you aren’t taking hormones measures to change your body shape. And of course, load of luck to you.

Could you simply use your first initial on your entry forms? As everyone above has stated, you can wear what ever you want. If the confusion is over your name, try entering with just an initial? :smiley:

Also there are no usef issues with not using your legal name. There are several famous people who are registered user a different USEF name, so jus change your usef name to what you prefer to be called. If you can do that online, give them a call and I think they’d help. And if anyone gives you a tough time, let us know so we can public shame them for being awful.

[QUOTE=Ray;7673316]
You should be able to chose your USEF name. I would be surprised if that is a problem. That might help. If you call USEF, they are generally very helpful.

Good luck and good on you for forging ahead![/QUOTE]

I show under a different name than my legal name and can’t imagine you’d have any difficulties doing the same, OP. A shirt and tie are perfectly acceptable show attire for females and males, and if this is relevant to you, even long-haired men wear hairnets.

Enjoy your shows!

You definitely can show USEF under a name other than your legal name. My trainer uses her husband’s last name professionally but still hasn’t changed her name legally. All it took was a phone call to USEF to change it.

Like others have said, wearing a tie is perfectly acceptable for both genders even though now days usually only seen on men. Nobody is going to disqualify you due to neckwear. So long as your clothes fit well and you’re tidy you’ll blend in just fine.

Thanks so much for the responses and support! It is good to know that this isn’t an issue. I was mainly concerned about the neckwear, I’ve been wearing a white tie to local stuff. The jacket I wear is an RJ men’s coat. I’m pre-testosterone so I had it tailored and it disguises the narrow waist very well (fortunately I’m shaped like a beanpole anyway, there’s not much to hide haha).
I did not know you could use a different name with the USEF. That is awesome and very helpful. I turn 18 in the fall and will be able to legally change it, but still good that it wouldn’t be problem anyway.
Thanks again!

High-five from another FTM horseperson!

Wear what you’re most comfortable in. As long as it’s tidy and appropriate to the show, screw what anyone else thinks!

And for the record, Underworks is the BEST place to find comfy compression shirts. I highly recommend going with a muscle shirt cut (wider shoulder straps) if you have broad shoulders. the narrow tank top straps are better for slim builds. Avoid the nude colour, it’s really awkward. White is easy to hide under any colour shirt. Avoid the short-cut “tritop” style if you have any tummy or are larger chested - they’re cut off at the worst possible point and won’t cover a larger chest, or will accentuate any tummy pooge (learned that the hard way…). My favourite model is the cotton concealer muscle shirt (i’m a plus size guy so it’s the most comfortable and most effective, and the cotton outer layer lets me wear it without another shirt overtop and nobody can tell it’s a compression shirt. the full length Underworks shirts run a bit long, which is perfect for tucking into your breeches and preventing the bottom of the shirt from rolling up while you ride.

If you ever want to chat, shoot me a PM. :slight_smile:

The rules are the rules… and they are blessedly unspecific. As long as you’re tidy and not breaking them, I can’t see an issue at bigger shows. If it says “choker or tie,” take your pick. I like the fancier white or light ties, they look nice and certainly won’t be at all distracting.

The most important part for tidy is fit… so make sure your clothes fit, and go have fun.

What sort of shirt does one wear with a tie? A normal dress shirt??

I think you can show under whatever name (or initial!) that you want but regardless of name logistics, on the whole I’ve found show staff to be incredibly nice and accommodating about all sorts of things and literally cannot imagine anyone giving you trouble for wearing men’s attire.

Good luck!

Thanks again everyone!
Ceylon Star- Yay! I haven’t met many of us so it’s always good to find more people to talk to! I’ve been wearing a ROMFH men’s show shirt. It’s like a dress shirt, but made of athletic fabric. I love it to death, it is SO comfortable and cool.

[QUOTE=gravitycommand;7676632]
Thanks again everyone!
Ceylon Star- Yay! I haven’t met many of us so it’s always good to find more people to talk to! I’ve been wearing a ROMFH men’s show shirt. It’s like a dress shirt, but made of athletic fabric. I love it to death, it is SO comfortable and cool.[/QUOTE]

My inbox is always open :slight_smile: I’m only slightly older than you at 23 and early in transition, but i am more than happy to answer questions or just talk horses :slight_smile:

You know, sometimes I forget that in addition to all the sniping, backbiting, complaining threads on this board, there are threads like this - threads that show what a great and supportive community this place really is and can be.

I think your question has been answered, but I just wanted to wish you good luck and congratulations. Have fun showing!