Unlimited access >

Hunter Lessons/Boarding in Central NJ

Hello,

I am moving to central NJ in May and I plan on bringing my horse sometime later in the fall. I was wondering if anyone had any experience/recommendations for barns in the Princeton/Hamilton/Plainsboro/Lawrencville area. I used to compete in low hunters and would like to get back into showing but I don’t want to be pressured to go to every show.

Thanks in advance,
Elizabeth

I know the area well. Send me a PM and I can give you lots of details on the programs in the towns you mentioned.

Snickle, I’ve been out of the loop a while now and have moved to that area as well. I’m not quite ready to ride again but I’d be curious to see what you have found around there. I’m much better versed in Hunterdon County and feel a little lost.

Right in that area there isn’t much, closest would be:

Hunter Farms in Princeton - it is a nice facility and I believe offers lesson on school horses. However, I do not know how much turnout they have, if any.

A fairly short drive from Princeton is Duncraven (although by short, its probably 30 minutes). Duncraven is a really nice facility run by great people. I do not know if they have a lesson program, but definitely worth checking out.

I believe that there is another facility close to Duncraven called Quiet Victory Farm. I don’t know anything about it, but it looks nice on the website.

Hidden River Farm is in Neshanic Station - good reputation and nice facility. I do not think that they have a lesson program though.

There is also Hay Fever Farm in Robbinsville which is owned by the Shapiros. Looks really nice and other posters have commented positively on it.

There are also a lot of options in Hunterdon County and Somerset County - but you are probably looking at more of a 45 minute to hour commute for these places.

Amt813,

Thanks for the input. Duncraven in more than I would like to spend unfortunately. Quiet Victory Farm looks very nice. Does anyone have any experience with this facility?

sammicat, who posts here, is at Hay Fever. You could PM her. She has also been at other facilities she could give you details on…including who to avoid.

I am at Hay Fever Farm as well (thanks, Pattnic!). It’s fantastic. Feel free to PM me. I can’t say enough great things about Neal and Licha Shapiro and their operation. It’s more a jumper barn but I think they’re super-supportive of whatever people want to do, sammicat would be able to tell you more on this.