Unlimited access >

Hunter pony with an adult amateur...help!

I’m sure this has been posted before, but I have been out of showing for years and plan on attending an EC sanctioned (Bronze) show in the next couple of weeks.

I’m new to hunterland (and the forum!) as an adult amateur and currently have a 5 yo large pony that I would like to show a bit before finding him his own little person.

I’ve heard it’s fine to put him in the Very Novice Hunter (fences to 2’3"), but looking at the EC rule book it says “adults are permitted to show (be judged) on large ponies in miscellaneous non-point classes not limited to juniors”…well it is a division under 3’ where points will be awarded but it’s open to all riders with beginner horses.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? I’m not sure if I should contact the show office and ask them directly. The pony/adult rider discrimination is a real PITA.

It sounds like a class open to any rider, so you would likely be ok. Call to check if you don’t want to wait until you get to the show. You can also enter most training and schooling classes, as well as the Adult Amateurs if they offer them at that level (I don’t remember if the adults on ponies rule is the same in Canada). In the Ammies, the jumps will be 3’ and the stride set about 12’, so you may have to add. You may also find some sort of Pre-Adult or Long/Rusty Stirrup classes at various heights, depending on what is common in your area.

Good Luck and have fun!

You can show as an adult on a large pony in any classes for amateurs up to 3’:

ARTICLE G201 GENERAL

1. Entries in hunter classes shall be over 14.2 hands except:
    a) in pony hunter divisions restricted to juniors
    b) in Adult Amateur classes where fences do not exceed 3’ (0.90 m),
    Adult Amateurs may ride large ponies.
    See also: Articles G306.2, G307, and G309.4 regarding cross-entry
    restrictions for ponies.
  2. Adults are permitted to show (be judged) on large ponies in miscellaneous
    non-point classes not limited to juniors. A pony shown in judged classes by
    an adult may not be shown in judged classes by a junior at the same
    competition

Seems like you are making an inquiry about a horse show in Canada? Maybe change the title of your thread/edit your post to make that more clear.

USEF rules which have been cited above may not apply–my advice is for you to contact the show.

SolarFlare’s post is the Canadian (Equine Canada) rule set pertaining to adults on ponies, and is correct. :slight_smile: You’ll be fine to enter the division as an adult on a large. If there’s any worry in your mind, print out a copy of the rules that SolarFlare mentioned and take them with you.

Thanks everyone - I did contact the show just to be sure. Time to get out there and just have some fun :slight_smile: