Unlimited access >

Hunter ring show apparel

It’s been a while since I’ve shown hunters and I’m trying to get up to speed on the “fashion” I know that at low levels a black boot, black helmet, boring coloured coat is perfect but I’m now curious about what’s in fashion at the higher levels? Are we accepting of a safety stirrup like the Jin safety? How about more “modern” styles like the Tucci Harley boot or kask helmet or the CT show coat with the pleated back? Curious because I love the look of slightly modern attire but don’t want to invest if it will be “shunned” in the ring as I think the horse I’m riding right now will reach the higher level hunters.

I think most people opt for conservative gear with the idea that hunters are about showing off the horse’s jumping style and movement without anything too distracting coming from the rider. I don’t think anybody cares whether you’re wearing a Kask helmet, the Samshields are more popular (conservative Samshield bling is becoming more and more popular). I prefer modern cut coats without any bling or trim, sporty fabric, slim, but never “cute.” I just couldn’t take myself seriously in a coat with piping or pleats. The boots? A kid in our barn has them, again, not my style but probably not too noticeable. If you watch the videos from Upperville you can get an idea for what’s most common, if that is what you’re interested in! Good luck.

1 Like

I second @Foitin’s suggestion to check out pics & video replays from Upperville. We know some people that are field hunters who go very traditional & formal for Upperville. Most adult riders seem to trend more towards high end, modern brands, though. Kask helmets & Tucci boots wouldn’t stick out. I saw white Equiline breeches on some pros in the Hunter classes. McLain & Lauren Ward rode in the family class with what looked to be some kind of composite stirrups. KEP has been one of the vendors in past years. Someone must be buying it or they wouldn’t be there.

1 Like

Just to add a little more here, some of the juniors doing the jumpers will also wear their white breeches in the hunter ring. I watched most of the small and large junior videos from Upperville earlier today and I’d say nearly all had solid, traditional blue or black jackets. I rode in the adult hunters there, and there were some green jackets, a couple gray-blue, but it was mostly the traditional blue/black jackets and Samshield or Charles Owen helmets, a few Kask. I think Parlantis, Tuccis and Fabbri boots are all popular and pretty much interchangeable. All this being said, I think the outfit is the least of our problems in the hunters! It has just really gone crazy with the cost of the horses going around.

1 Like

You see plenty of Kask helmets and various safety stirrups, there are even some pros who ride in silver FreeJumps. I probably wouldn’t suggest a coat with pleats, I think that reads a bit jumper-y and might distract from the horse. The mesh coats are everywhere, though!

Fashion varies a lot by region, too - some areas are much more conservative than others. If you can trek to a bigger show in your area and watch a morning of hunters you’ll get a good sense of what’s going on in your area.

1 Like