Unlimited access >

Hunter Stallions for Quiet, Easy, Rideable Offspring

Yall better stop talking this stallion up or I’m going to breed to him this year, instead of years down the line.

This isn’t your hunter round but it does speak to athletic, trainable and soundness. He’s homebred and we easily did the training ourselves w occasional clinics. He’s Balta Czar x TB. He lost a studded rear shoe on the steeplechase then lost the other one just before the fence he had a small slide glance. I see the slips in the grass but he came in tight with no issues.

Ky Horse Park Training 3Day and the awesomeness of getting to hear your name announced in Nigel’s British accent!!

7 Likes

This is what you’re looking for - at 4 yrs old 1st trip out for a clinic w Lillian Heard, the BC grandson out of the mare. He’s a hunter packer on the East Coast now.

7 Likes

People who don’t know what hunter people are talking about when they say to look for a horse like a metronome need to watch this!

What a lovely horse, his pace changes as needed but his rhythm never changes. Slow down and change clothes and he can step right unto the hunter ring.

3 Likes

I know that holsteiner bred horse who has the jumping ability… and jump at lower level they can. They always go at een easy pace and jump easy and clear…

I bred in a colt in 2003… i gave him his name. WINNER sired by Haarlem. His dam. Gamora sired by Nocturn x Joost… completly holstein bloodlines… but registered KWPN.

He is just build like his mom. Great balance…
because of harmonious exteriour. And that gives him also the quality it needs he can canter on slow pace but still have a good canter moving from behind and still is quick … because he is in balance and harmony.

He ended up an assume hunter. Won pretty.much at highest level… and he is a horse with caracter and temprament just like his mother. But if you treat them right . They trust you. They do anything for you. And then you have the best horse ever.

https://horsesinthesouth.com/blog/daryl-portela-wins-10000-ushja-national-hunter-derby-recognizing-eaf/

He was bred as an allround horse… that he could perform at 4th level dressage and jump 130/140…

4 Likes

Speaking of him, does anyone know where to get semen from Balta’Czar? I am considering breeding my buckskin JC thoroughbred mare to him next year (considering some others as well) and I am trying to locate where I could acquire semen for each stud- I see Jump Start Farm has not updated their website since 2016 so not sure if his semen is still available through them?

@Rabiosa I would call. They backed out of doing so much personal breeding bc of the economy. Saret’s interest has always focused more on the stallions. I know that many of the people used this sire for breeding for their own personal use.

Agree with pony_grandma, call or email Saret directly (Jump Start Farm is on Facebook).

She is wonderful to deal with, and both my Balta’Czar babies were fabulous. The only thing i will say, though, is if your mare doesn’t have a really fancy trot, he might not be the best bet… he will reliably improve the walk and canter, though.

Luckily she has a phenomenal trot so I think he would be able to improve the things I’m searching for like better front end technique and add bone to her. (: I’ll definitely consider reaching out at the end of this year if I decide to breed her next year. I have also always eyed Popeye K as well and someone recommended him to me for her. Personally I like more of a jumper ride however she is already hot enough so I feel if I bred her to a jumper I would have a difficult young horse.

You mentioned Lordanos earlier in the thread. I have a Holsteiner mare from the “L” line of stallions - Lennett/Loran/Lord/Ladykiller and out of a dam from the “C” line of stallions - Carvallo BB, Carthago, Capitol I. She is a big, solid mare with a wonderful temperament and excellent work ethic. I wouldn’t describe her as ammy friendly - I’m an adult re-rider learning to jump, and she really only prefers to jump 2’6" or higher so it has been more challenging for me. That being said, I’ve really had to advance as a rider on the flat and over jumps to meet her standards and expectations of me, because she is so smart and well-schooled. She has a huge stride and is super scopey. That being said, she isn’t the most hunter “type”, but I would breed her in a second and am a Holsteiner fan for life.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing, we are just getting started with our Lordanos who looks extremely similar to yours. Too soon to tell if she will be Ammy friendly or not as we just did our first walk off the lunge line yesterday but so far so good.

10 Likes

@Laurierace They could be twins! How lovely! I hope you love her as much as I love my mare.

1 Like

Omg - I can’t believe she’s so grown… Where does the time go?

3 Likes

This was last summer, she is a big girl now! Well older girl now, she is currently 15.2 high and 15.2 wide and wears a 52 inch girth.

10 Likes

Can you pm me why you wouldn’t use Alpine?! I’m very interested in this!

Hi
I can’t see starting another thread so adding to this one. I wanted to breed to Cabalito but no longer available fresh. Any thoughts on Cabulous? Sir Vari?

How about Lestat for a lordonous son?

I like what I’ve seen of Sir Vari but I wouldn’t breed to him until he’s done more. I think he’s aged out of stallion testing for the big registries (correct me if I’m wrong!) and he’s only schooled at shows thus far. I’m watching him to see what they do with his sport career but until then he’s off my list. He’s young so may be a good option in the future, just one to watch for now I think. Hopefully he’ll have a long and sound career.

I like Cabulous and he has been showing I believe. I hear he’s sweet and ridden by an amateur but I haven’t done a deep dive on him. Definitely worth chatting about him and reaching out to folks that have bred to him, I’m not sure how old his first crop is now.

1 Like

I have a friend who saw him in Florida and said he was stunning. My mare is out of a TB, he is also out of a TB. That makes me hesitant, what do you think? Any others?

I like:
Carrico ( but does not throw good movers and common head)
Balta Czar (same)
Westport (not great over fence)

Any suggestions?
Viscount
Ribaldi ?

My Carrico three year old is lovely. I couldn’t have asked for anything more. She is a beautiful mover. Her head is nice too, not even close to common. She has unique markings and I am thrilled with her.
Westport is a toss up for sure. I had two. Full sisters out of a super hunter mare by Jupiter. Both have great temperaments. They looked nothing alike. The bay was not especially talented over fences, the chestnut was.