Unlimited access >

Hunting in Canada

I keep seeing all these posts about hunting but they all seem to be coming from the States. I’m quite interested in hunting, but I live in Canada. Obviously can’t hunt now but would love to start up in the spring! Is there anyone on here that hunts in Canada? Perhaps in Southern Ontario, somewhere? I would love to have some ideas on how to get started and perhaps talk to someone that hunts in Canada about their experiences and how they got started.

Thanks!

This thread from October might be helpful to you:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=119112

It depends on where you are in Southern Ontario.

There is the London Hunt, Wellington Waterloo and the Hamilton Hunt. Closer to the GTA is the Eglington Caledon Hunt in Terra Cotta. The Toronto North York Hunt now has there kennels in Creemore. (close to Collingwood).

Beaver Meadow

I’m not sure why SnowPrincess has not chimed in, but her hunt, Beaver Meadow, is east and north of Toronto. I know they have fixtures near Bobcaygeon. They are a small, user-friendly pack.

Ottawa Valley Hunt

Guilford Hounds in New Hampshire just hosted Ottawa Valley Hounds this past season. Wonderfully nice groups of folks. While I have not hunted with them, it is a priority of mine for next season.

http://www.ottawavalleyhunt.com/

We have gone to the open houses with beaver meadow - great group - here is a link to their website-

http://groups.msn.com/BeaverMeadowFoxHounds/

Thank you so much for your help! I will be contacting the people you mentioned and hopefully can get out sometime this season.

[QUOTE=DartingAround;2879338]
Thank you so much for your help! I will be contacting the people you mentioned and hopefully can get out sometime this season.[/QUOTE]

I think it’s a little late for this season with the weather in Southern Ontario.

I am not sure which hunts go out in the spring.

You are right about the weather shutting things down. For your area I do know that London does some hunting in the spring, as well as the Wellington Waterloo group. I hunt with Hamilton and we start cubbing around the middle of August as well as offer an introductory membership that’s about $225 for all the cubbing you want as well as 5 formal hunts during the formal season. We are a fun bunch albeit a bit farther away for you- you are near Stratford if I’m not mistaken?

I bought a horse last year that had hunted with the Ottowa Valley Hunt, and I heard good things about that hunt. Not sure where that is in relation to you, though. good luck!

The Ottawa Valley Hunt is a good 7 hours from the GTA… fantastic hunt with gorgeous country near our nations Capital.

[QUOTE=DartingAround;2919506]
I am located in the GTA.

I have no idea where the closest hunts might be, that’s why I’m inquiring. I don’t know if I have a horse to hunt on but since I want to learn more about hunting, perhaps volunteering would be an option for me.

Thank you for all of your help so far. :)[/QUOTE]

Me too. I am in York Region. I just went horse shopping (sadly for a friend and not myself) on the weekend and we went to a farm that makes and sells field hunters. Great, real horsemen and a really cool bunch of horses. I have always wanted to get into it but have never had the chance. My problem is that my horse is REALLY not a candidate for this type of thing yet (I was happy that we walked down the driveway with only one rear/spin the other day!). I too would be into volunteering to learn more, if you get any info please PM me.

I am located in the GTA.

I have no idea where the closest hunts might be, that’s why I’m inquiring. I don’t know if I have a horse to hunt on but since I want to learn more about hunting, perhaps volunteering would be an option for me.

Thank you for all of your help so far. :slight_smile:

Beaver Meadow Fox Hounds has been in re-org status for a few years now and there is currently some drama happening with some folks re-naming it Beaver Meadows Equestrian Club. Their pack is dispersed and they are no longer hunting, sadly.

We did some joint meets with them a few years back–fabulous country and a great pack…not to mention awesome people!

Blockquote This thread from October might be helpful to you: http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=119112site

Thanks mate!