Unlimited access >

Hurricane Plan for WEG?

I grew up in Florida. My parents lost their retirement home to Hurricane Opal. I evacuated from my home for the first time ever last year during a scary hurricane season. Planning (not evacuating) but PLANNING needs to start now for horses. How safe is Tryon, NC if Hurricane Florence heads that way? We used to have hurricane parties, but with climate change, things are not even the least bit funny. If travel is difficult getting in and out of WEG, I wonder what the plan is? I hope they are making plans now, just in case…because it can get too late, then you are stuck and must shelter in place.

Tryon is located in the foothills of North Carolina. They may be impacted by heavy rains and flooding. Evacuations? No. Tryon is nestled at the base of the Blue Ridge mountains.

3 Likes

Does anyone know how affected the Charlotte airport will be? Supposed to fly in to Charlotte Thursday morning.

The latest says landfall on Thursday noon time or early afternoon, so if that holds up you might have a problem.

Should current forecasts hold, you should be fine arriving Thursday morning in Charlotte. However, things can change. Note: I am not a meteorologist nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn.

5 Likes

Thanks! Southwest already has a lot of cities possibly going to be affected with Charlotte included. I’m hoping to wake up tomorrow morning to find a weakened storm or a different storm path, for the sake of WEG.

Here’s the link to the National Hurricane Center. Scroll down to the hurricane name, and then click on the Warning Cones/Static Images to see their latest. However, there are other models, and it’s still hard to say exactly what will happen. To see a better predictor, I watch the Weather Channel for the morning show with Jim Cantore, and wait until he disappears from the show, and you know he’s on the move. Then I look at the weather channel FB or the Where is Jim Cantore FB page to see where he’s been sighted.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

1 Like

If you click on “Discussion” after you select the storm on the National Hurricane Center site you will get a much more detailed and accurate idea of what is coming than you will find on the Weather Channel. The WC gets their scientific info from NOAA and the NHS.

2 Likes

Hopefully the horses will share their accommodations with their grooms.

8 Likes

The barns are certainly better equipped than the groom’s quarters!

4 Likes

In the Hong Kong equestrian Olympics, they had a huge tropic cyclone come in, and most of the grooms, and other team support people did exactly that. In fact, the cyclone caused issues with the last group of horses, and their support people, so the plane, or planes landed in Dubai, and everyone said they loved it there. Dubai had great facilities they shared. Some other teams delayed their departure from Amsterdam.

Because some personnel hadn’t arrived because of the storms, I heard that the ones that were in Hong Kong pitched in to help the teams that were short handed. The stables there had a cyclone come in a year or so before, during one of the test shows, and there was another cyclone after the equestrian competition ended, but I don’t know if that delayed some of the plane departures or not.

The discussions I’m reading seem to now think there is a good possibility that Florence will come ashore a little more south—Myrtle Beach, maybe. If that happens then the prediction for rainfall in western NC —Lenor specifically—is feet of rain—not a foot, but feet :eek:!
If her landfall is further north—Willmington/Jacksonville—it would be several inches out west and the Shenandoah valley of VA will get the most.

:eek: I hope they have a really, really good plan…

[INDENT]Intensifying Hurricane Florence poses extreme threat to Southeast and Mid-Atlantic
September 10 at 5:07 AM

Hurricane Florence is tracking toward the East Coast with inevitability rarely seen in storms several days away from landfall. While forecasters were careful to cite “high uncertainty” in recent days, their tone changed after watching the storm’s eventual path barely shift from what they had considered to be a worst-case scenario.

Monday morning, as the storm gained strength, the National Hurricane Center was forecasting Florence to become a strong Category 4 storm before making landfall along the Southeast or Mid-Atlantic coast on Thursday.

Computer model forecasts have generally converged on the storm coming ashore in southeast North Carolina, although shifts in the track are still possible and storm impacts will expand great distances beyond where landfall occurs.

With each passing flight into the eye of the storm and every new computer model forecast, it has become increasingly unlikely Florence will turn out to sea and spare the Eastern Seaboard from potentially devastating storm surge, flooding and wind. There’s even some indication the hurricane will slow or stall out over the Mid-Atlantic later this week, which could lead to a disastrous amount of rain.[/INDENT]

1 Like

While Tyron is located at the base of the mountains, heavy rain can weaken tree roots systems causing trees to fall, there may well be tornados and damaging wind along with the heavy rain. Roads and access to areas can be flooded and washed out, electricity may go out and be out for more than 24 hours. In other words everyone needs to take many precautions and be prepared.

What a mess if it does come ashore in conjunction with WEG. I hope everyone will be safe.

3 Likes

Tryon is located in the foothills of North Carolina. They may be impacted by heavy rains and flooding. Evacuations? No. Tryon is nestled at the base of the Blue Ridge mountains.

Tryon is indeed quite west. However, Hurricane Hugo had a significant and direct impact on the western part of NC in 1989. It came into Charlotte as a Category 1. I sincerely hope that the hurricane is a non-event. But… definitely be prepared. Hurricanes CAN and do impact the western part of the state.

4 Likes

Why yes, I know that since a flying tree limb damaged my car during Hugo as I was local to Charlotte at that time. I remember the power outages, winds, rains, etc. It was a real mess and we were nowhere near Charleston.

But you also have to account for changes in topography as the hurricane makes its way inland. Charlotte is located in the piedmont while Tryon is in the foothills.

This is the best description.

Why yes, I know that since a flying tree limb damaged my car during Hugo as I was local to Charlotte at that time. I remember the power outages, winds, rains, etc. It was a real mess and we were nowhere near Charleston.

But you also have to account for changes in topography as the hurricane makes its way inland. Charlotte is located in the piedmont while Tryon is in the foothills.

I understand and I am well aware of the state’s topography. The important point is… anywhere in the state could be impacted by this storm, coastal - piedmont - sandhills - foothills etc. depending on where and how the storm comes inland.

Bottom line - BE PREPARED.

4 Likes

The latest NY Times story has the landfall at or near the NC/SC border with destructive winds as much as 140 miles into the interior.

2 Likes