Unlimited access >

HURRICANES - what do you do with your horses?

Ah, the good old days before Andrew when we did not fear hurricanes on the coast. We had hurricane parties at Tybee, and I rode my horses during the eye of the storm. Of course it did not hurt that we lived on a bluff above a salt river, and that my electrical engineer father had a huge generator housed in a building by itself, providing AC and lights and water to the house, the garage apt, and oh yeah, my horses’ stable. My horses had running water and lights when no one else on the bluff did.

Then Andrew wiped out a part of Florida. Later Hugo hit Charleston although my relatives there had fled to NC…where Hugo followed them. No more do we consider hurricanes just an inconvenience. They can kill you. The last threat in Savannah, I made arraignments for C&C to head inland with some friend who had a place there. Fortunately Floyd passed us by.

Well thankfully being from Ohio, I have plenty of family (and barns) up there worst case scenario :wink: and I only have 1 horse and own a truck and trailer that’s always at the ready since I show her. And I work from home anyway so I can easily leave whenever and still work…so I guess that does it…evacuation it is :lol:

[QUOTE=Ambitious Kate;8669231]
Horses are often hit by lightning. I always bring them inside in threat of lightning. HUrricaines they come into a secure building, bank barn, cinder block garage, are tagged on the tail and I’d painted on their hooves. Large tanks or containers of water are pomade up to supply all horses water needs fro ten days in case electricity is out, hay and grain stocked, everything brought into the barn or garage including equipment. A hurricaine I would never want my horse out in, they can be injured. Y flying debris and if fence goes down they can get in a lot of trouble. I may be blocked from getting out in y truck to. Search for them, so I would put them safe. If there was risk of flood I would definitely evacualte[/QUOTE]

Agree with this. Better to have them inside unless it is flooding (when you should evacuate) than out where they can get hit by flying debris or set on downed power lines, etc.

I took a large equine rescue course years ago and they strongly advised turn out. Storms are one thing, hurricanes are different. If your barn goes down the horses are trapped.

Horses will turn their butts to the wind and can survive a wound in the large muscles in the rear. They cannot survive a roof or wall crashing down.

Most are killed by downed electric wires not by lightning.

Braid a waterproof tab into the mane with your name and contact numbers one it even if your horse is micro chipped.

After Andrew counties in Florida were mandated to have an evacuation center for large animals-most do not.

If I can’t evacuate I will turn mine out.

[QUOTE=OverandOnward;8670366]
You are very wise to be thinking realistically and well ahead of time. In your case I would have evacuation supplies ready and easy to get during July-August-Sept. [/QUOTE]

Actually, June 1-November 30. We historically have gotten some of the worst storms in late October, so don’t assume that because summer is over, storm season is too.

Has anyone mentioned taking ID photos of your horses (and pets)? Front, both sides, and rear. Close up of distinguishing marks, and the chestnuts if they have a unique shape. Keep one printed set with you, send a set, or file to an out of state friend/neighbor.

Do any of the big show ground barns board horses for the duration of the storm?

Can you and other boarders help retrofit the barn where you board? Hurricane straps to hold the roof on etc.

ID photos are a great idea.

When I lived in the Keys, hurricane season had added difficulties for horse owners. There are not very many horses in the islands, there are a few places that have backyard type horse keeping, no boarding setups except for a riding school in Islamorada. But several dozen privately owned horses are located in the middle and lower keys, tucked away from the main road.

The islands are linked by 42 bridges from Key West to the mainland. Once wind speeds reach a certain level, all high profile vehicles are prohibited from traveling the US-1 highway. This includes RVs, boat trailers and horse trailers. (This also can occur on some of the bridges up in the mainland of FL, like the Sunshine Skyway bridge going to Tampa/St. Pete, or other roadways over water.)

Planning for an evacuation (from the Keys and elsewhere) can be tricky, because you have to make the call to leave around 72 hours prior to anticipated landfall. That can be while the storm is quite far away, and predictions can evolve and change during that 72 hour window. So you either load and go, and hope you don’t end up where the hurricane has jigged or jogged, aiming for the west or east coast of the mainland, or do like some people do, just send horses to the Ocala area for the peak of the season.

There is NO place in Florida that is safe from hurricanes, they can cross the islands, or the peninsula, reach water on the other side, re-intensify, and cross back over land! Inland areas may be out of range of storm surge, but as others have mentioned, lightning, wind speed and tornadoes are still all very dangerous.

We had the worst storm surge in recent history in 2005, during Hurricane Wilma. All eyes were already on the northern gulf coast, due to Katrina. But Wilma hit on October 24, impacting the middle and lower keys from the gulf side of the islands. A few hours after the main part of the storm passed, daylight arrived, and so did an 8’+ surge of seawater that flooded over the islands. It had been at least a generation since any surge like that had happened, so no one was really thinking of it, or preparing for it. It raced over the islands in a matter of a few minutes, flooding everything.

Wind-driven water is not unusual in the Keys, but a storm surge is a different thing all together. It washed over the islands, flooded many older homes that were at ground level, and things like natural gas tanks were pulled away by the water’s power and were floating in the streets. Cars were inundated with salt water, shorted out and started fires. One of the local restaurants right on the water, The Island Fish CO and Tiki Bar, was essentially washed away as water and waves battered the open air/tiki bar restaurant. The owner took some jaw dropping photos as he sheltered at his restaurant.

The worst damage was right on the water. The power of the surge lifted up docks and their pilings anchoring them to the sea bottom, piers, boats of all sizes, and all manner of debris. Had the surge happened at night, there surely would have been loads of fatalities. Thankfully, it arrived in the morning, so people could react.

Sorry for the tangent, but I hope it reminds people that hurricanes can be completely unpredictable, and the storm path that forecasters try to project is not necessarily what any storm will actually do. The shift of a few degrees in direction, and/or the slowing of a few mph by a storm over warm water, can mean a major impact might happen hundreds of miles from the previous forecast.

There are several resources on line for preparing for storms and hurricanes when considering horses, pets and livestock. And so many other good suggestions have been posted here, as well.

[QUOTE=sassy45;8670211]
Best option is not live in florida,move to where there aren’t hurricanes solves problem. Glad we got the heck out of there in 1989 don’t miss it or its hurricanes… I’d never live in a state where hurricanes were a threat.[/QUOTE]

The idea of a hurricane or tornado with horses terrifies me. But up here, we have to worry about wildfires and earthquakes. Well, we have to worry about the big earth quake when the whole coast will disappear. At least so they tell us. Oh, and tsunamis.

When we have horses on Eastern LI, I always make a point of making an advance plan of where to bring them in the event of a big hurricane.

My rule of thumb is that I want them IN a building that has previously survived a big storm. I will not keep them out, and I will not keep the in a more recently constructed building that hasn’t already survived a huge storm intact.

There are quite a few older barns that qualify, and I make an agreement with the owners well in advance if we aren’t already staying in one.

This.

To me, living in a storm (or fire) risk area and owning animals, especially large outdoor animals, requires an big extra layer of responsibility. They are at the mercy of their owner’s decisions when one of natures most destructive forces is on the way.

As faulty as forecasting is, at least we do have an enormous amount of advance information about storms. My ancestors 70 years ago had only hours of advance warning - at best. They didn’t actually know how big a storm would be. The craziest thing about preparation and evacuation is that the sun is bright and the skies calm while the serious run is on to get away.

I remember watching the biggest highway leading north from New Orleans from the office building where I worked while early evacuation was in progress. Trailer after trailer, especially big stock trailers packed with large animals, were going by for two days before predicted landfall. Down there, the land is low, and everything left behind in pasture may drown. Everything. It has happened before, mile after mile of carcasses after a major storm. The water may only be deep enough for large animals to walk in. But they die after many hours of standing in it, hypothermic even in hot weather, unable to lie down and rest, nothing to eat and water not fit to drink.

Long ago I decided where I am not going to live with a horse. And even where I do live, when I am going to load & go, regardless of what everyone else is saying and doing. And a plan that includes taking the smaller pets with me as well, meaning no shelters and a long haul inland to find dry lodgings. :slight_smile:

Great post, OverandOnward.

Thanks … and to pound a few more nails … :lol:

The documented, studied history of evacuating coastal areas in the U.S. in front of hurricanes is this. People are very impressed by a big storm. Before Katrina, the devastation of Hurricane Camille in 1969, landfall in Mississippi as a Cat 5, official count of 259 direct fatalities, scared the bejesus out of everyone along the gulf coast for a couple of generations.

But. This is documented study. Having planned ahead and made responsible evacuation plans, for a time people do go well before a forecast storm, only to have the storm turn and land somewhere else. People do that a couple of times and instead of being merely grateful, they decide not to go again. They start rationalizing plausible ways to ride out the storm. They tell each other stories of people who rode out a big storm. A few years go by with no big storm locally and everyone loses motivation to keep running from forecast storms.

Anyone I’ve ever known (or known about) who did ride out a hurricane, especially Cat 2+, had this to say: Never again in this lifetime.

Hurricane Andrew was a wandering storm and the forecast landing point in Florida changed again and again. There was a broad evacuation area - but no evacuation had been required for the area where the hurricane actually made landfall. So a lot of people did ride out Andrew at full strength, and the stories make one’s hair stand on end. A family sheltering in a bathroom in the center of the house, the men holding the door closed with all their strength as they could hear the rest of the house coming apart around them. Parents and two children huddled in a garage when a tree fell on it, shattering the garage and dropping a beam on the little girl’s head where she died instantly. After the storm, finding dead bodies. Neighbors thinking a young couple must have evacuated without anyone knowing, only to find the couple’s bodies inside the collapsed house, several days later.

Evacuating when it turns out not to be necessary becomes a drag - but just be grateful that is the way it turned out. Keeping making the right decision for your horse and remember what it is like for a horse to ride out a hurricane, as well as for you. :slight_smile:

Trivia: Hurricane Andrew registered official highest wind speed at 175 mph. Someone from the weather service said they are pretty sure the winds were higher than that, because when the wind speed continued to increase, the measuring device broke and blew away.

YellowPonyEventer, Be sure your paper work is up to date, you will need health certificates for each animal, and Coggin’s test for the horses.

Wilma was the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic basin, with the lowest pressure of 882 mbar (26.05 inches in Mercury measurement), and reaching Cat5 with sustained winds of 185 mph, all in less than a 30 hour period. That’s how fast things can change.

I have stayed (without horses) through a Category 3, a couple of times in the Keys, not exactly by choice. I would not hesitate to evacuate for anything over a Category 2, without horses—just family and dogs. If I had horses, I would move out with trailer in ample time if the forecast path was even remotely projected to be in my third of the state. Storms can pass over land masses, weaken, then reintensify in just a few hours.

Equine Passport

You should speak with your large animal vet about obtaining an equine passport that will allow you to travel in and out of FL with out having to obtain a health certificate each time. You are required to stop at any Ag Center on the way out of the state and on the way back. Do not fail to stop or pull in (even if you just have an empty trailer) as it can result in a citation from the Ag. Center Police (and they are sworn Law Enforcement Officers). The passport is good for up to 6 months and is accepted in the states surrounding FL, last time I checked it was about $35 and I think it has your horses picture on it from their coggins paperwork.

We are 75 miles inland but still get hurricanes if they hit the coast. Opal was our worst one, we had a lot of damage to the barn roof. We kept the horses in thankfully because the sections of roof that were ripped off landed in the pasture, metal roof blew into the pasture along with nails and screws.

We always keep the horses inside. There is no 100% safe place but in a hurricane blowing debris can be very dangerous. If you have a barn that is structurally sound then I would choose to leave them in but a lot of that depends on where you are, if flooding is an issue, how bad the hurricane is projected to be and if you can or cannot evacuate.

Hey, Stephanie!
Here is a blog I wrote a few years ago:
http://smarthorsekeeping.blogspot.com/2012/03/disaster-planning-blizzards-in-october.html

Mine are never out in storms, I prefer to take my chances with the barn rather than lightning, flying debris, downed fences, etc.
You really should not have anything to worry about in Groveland. Hurricane Charlie hit us bad in 2004, but that was a fluke and I think Groveland did just fine.

[QUOTE=Scribbler;8672709]
The idea of a hurricane or tornado with horses terrifies me. But up here, we have to worry about wildfires and earthquakes. Well, we have to worry about the big earth quake when the whole coast will disappear. At least so they tell us. Oh, and tsunamis.[/QUOTE]

Yep, disasters everywhere…back in Ohio we had to worry about tornadoes every time there was a thunderstorm :eek:

[QUOTE=csaper58;8676718]
YellowPonyEventer, Be sure your paper work is up to date, you will need health certificates for each animal, and Coggin’s test for the horses.[/QUOTE]

Another great reminder…I always have an updated Coggins since I actively show my mare, but a 30-day health certificate is something I would definitely need to grab from my vet. I’ll make a note as soon as we hear about an impending hurricane to shoot her a text! :yes:

[QUOTE=911Cowgirl;8676967]
You should speak with your large animal vet about obtaining an equine passport that will allow you to travel in and out of FL with out having to obtain a health certificate each time. You are required to stop at any Ag Center on the way out of the state and on the way back. Do not fail to stop or pull in (even if you just have an empty trailer) as it can result in a citation from the Ag. Center Police (and they are sworn Law Enforcement Officers). The passport is good for up to 6 months and is accepted in the states surrounding FL, last time I checked it was about $35 and I think it has your horses picture on it from their coggins paperwork.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks for the tip!! And yeah I found out the hard way about the ag stop :wink: When I first moved down last year, I passed it not even thinking about it and they pulled me over on the side of I-75! Luckily I got off with a warning, but they definitely do not mess around! :lol: