Unlimited access >

Hybrid/ good on gas hauling truck

Anyone reporting gas mileages - please note that the meter on the dash lies. You need to calculate it by hand if you’re genuinely interested.

My diesel 2500 (deleted) gets 20 highway unloaded, and about 15 hauling the giant 2+1.

3 Likes

My 2016 150F 4x4 gets 22-24 empty and 16-17 pulling our 16’ stock trailer half full with two horses or several cattle, on mostly flatter highways, pastures and some steep canyon roads here and there.

Friend with similar pickup but Chevy brand is always surprised, his uses way more gas.

I wonder if those figures are more individual to each vehicle, some just more efficient than others in the same brand?

2 Likes

Some people’s driving habits certainly contribute.

6 Likes

And - the gear ratio is important. The difference between a 3.73 and the 4.10 can be about 1-2 mpg. But then if you change the tire size, you change the ratio…

Lots of things to consider.

2 Likes

When considering the two vehicle option, look at (1) cost of insuring both a commuter car and a trailer-hauler truck, (2) cost and inconvenience of maintaining and repairing two vehicles, (3) sum of annual registration fees and ad valorem taxes, (4) your home space for parking them both, and (5) inconvenience of annual state inspection, if applicable to your location.

Owning five vehicles is my ideal, in my case a 2500 truck, an SUV, a convertible sports car, an electric commuter, and an antique project car to restore. Also a horse trailer, tractor, UTV, and a flat bed equipment trailer. I have all of these, so I write about the above considerations from experience.

6 Likes

If I can be honest and voice my( probably unwanted) opinion, just keep borrowing your parents truck and buy a commute vehicle.

Maybe help them occasionally with the cost of tires/ maintenance? You only plan to tow occasionally and if your parents aren’t using it much it is good to keep it in use.

My advice as a parent who has to hand over the keys on occasion as the need arises.

11 Likes

I have a 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel as both my commuter car and towing vehicle. I have a two-horse bumper pull, and own one horse, and I have more than enough towing capacity for that, and the mileage is good enough that I feel better about it being my daily driver. I mostly love this truck, and the RamBoxes are incredibly useful. Only downside to this specific truck is that it I can’t say it’s been the most reliable vehicle. I’m not sure if I can attribute that to bad luck or the make/model; I’m starting to think about replacing it but haven’t done any research yet if newer years are better.

1 Like

Note that any blanket statements about a model without specifying the year could be wildly inaccurate. An 07 F150 (9,500lbs max) has a much different tow capacity of a 22 F150 (maxed out at 14,000lbs which is very impressive). Same goes for MPG figures with added consideration for any modifications (bigger tires, different gear ratio, additional weight from adding a light bar and tool box and etc).

For your trailer a newer half ton should be more than adequate, but I agree to just buy a commuter and keep borrowing the truck. Truck prices are crazy high and if you do more commuting than towing you will end up spending so much more for the truck in gas and maintenance than you would even if you have to pay to rent or borrow a truck to tow.

5 Likes

I tow with a Ram 1500 with tow package with 1997 sooner 2 horse and it has more than enough tow and stop power. I use it as daily driver and get around 20 mph

1 Like

My problem is lack of parking. We live in a planned community where street parking isn’t allowed. I’ve thought of getting a beater truck and keeping it at the barn with my trailer, but I don’t think I would use it enough that it will reliably start when I need it to!

I take mine on an errand weekly even if I don’t need to haul. You do have to intentionally drive them if you only have them for hauling. The seals need to stay lubricated, battery charged, etc.

2 Likes

Are you set on keeping your existing trailer? If a 2 horse bumper pull suits you, another option if you can only have one vehicle and want something with better fuel economy is to sell your existing trailer and get a lightweight European trailer. That will open up options for more fuel efficient vehicles including hybrids or even electric. I saw one of the Bockmann dealers recently had someone pick up their new trailer with a Ford Lightning.

6 Likes

I’m super happy with my current trailer, and it’s very well built/ I have no concerns with it, so I’ll be sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

I have wonder how safe those super light European trailers are though. I would imagine that, if they were to get into an accident/ be directly hit by a vehicle, that they probably wouldn’t fare well/ offer much protection to the horse?

3 Likes

This is almost exactly what I got with my Ram 2500 diesel. Sometimes even a bit more while towing, depending on the conditions.

I was in a friend’s Chevy 2500 with the Duramax the other day and saw on her dash that she was getting in the mid to upper 20’s mpg. Not sure how accurate that was, but it I were concerned with fuel mileage, I’d be looking into that make and model a bit more.

1 Like

Derailing a bit here - I own one of those lightweight Euro trailers! And from the few crashes I have seen, they fair just the same as an American trailer. Is it the same as if you have a 4h gooseneck with one horse in the front slot vs the standard two horse straight load euro trailer when talking about a rear end crash? No, but it’s roughly the same (from what I’ve seen) when comparing two horse straight load to two horse straight load. I bought the lightweight trailer so I could have a commuter and towing combo vehicle that didn’t kill me on gas, but honestly love it so much for other reasons: the braking system is superior, the maneuverability is FAR better than any American trailer I’ve ever seen/ had (I’ve owned 4 different 2 horse straight load American built trailers), it is cooler temp wise for the horses, the airflow is better, and there are added safety features such as being able to take down the chest bar from the outside of the trailer if a horse got hung up that I have not seen in American trailers. Plenty of people don’t like them, and that’s all well and good, but I don’t think it’s accurate to state that they are inherently more dangerous/ less protective than an American trailer.

6 Likes

I’ve had and hauled a Euro trailer for a number of years while living in Europe. They do feel flimsy at times, and it feels like towing a tin can at first if you’re used to American trailers, but they’re alright. They are lighter so you have more of a choice re your towing rig, and do use surge brakes vs electric and both have their pros and cons.

For the person who doesn’t want to tow with a large truck/vehicle, a Euro trailer is a good option. Some have really great airflow and can be made from different materials (poly or aluminum for example).

They’re not my first choice, usually, but they’re not necessarily “bad” and have served me well.

I don’t know that there are any actual accurate comparisons re crash handling in an American vs Euro style trailer. Perhaps if you really dig you might be able to find something, but idk how much.

3 Likes

I just traded in my Honda crv because I needed a new truck. I pull a 2 plus 1 with dressing room.

I downgraded my truck from a 2007 gmc duelly 3500 diesel to a 2021 gas Chevy 2500 HD. Gas mileage is superior both driving and hauling. Mid 20 per miles on highway. About 15 highway hauling… more horses and people the lower the mileage.

Around my farm and home both twisty and hilly… the numbers are a lot lower but that’s with everything… even my old crv.

Super impressed with the turning radius… it’s crazy good… I mean it turns into a parking slot at shoprite like a car can. Makes up for the boxy front end and limited sight. I do miss my duelly when it’s windy but not the price tag or parking restrictions.

3 Likes

Just as a comparison, Formula 1 cars - the fastest race cars around - run on hybrid engines. They’re pretty quick. And like others said, the torque is significant from the electric motor.

2 Likes

This. Times ten. Ditto for cold weather areas where you need to run the heater. The electric component will be nil for those conditions. And Tundras have a surprisingly low MPG.

I have a Benderupt designed for 18 hh horses. Love it. 100% agree.

1 Like