Unlimited access >

Hybrid/ good on gas hauling truck

I’m looking into getting my first truck. I have a horse trailer, and I’ve just been using my parent’s truck, but my current commuter vehicle is on its way out, so I need to start thinking about something new.

This vehicle will mostly be used for commuting, but I still want it to be functional for hauling.

I have an older aluminum 2 horse straight haul (I don’t know how much it weights).

I’ve been using my parents 1500 Ram v8 to haul it, and that’s been working fine, but I do wonder if it’d be safer to haul with a more heavy duty truck?

Because I want to use this vehicle for commuting though, I’d like for it to be “good” on gas/ a hybrid. The trucks I’ve seen that fit this description are all the 1500 range sizes though.

Any thoughts?

You need to know how much the trailer weighs for anyone to answer the question. What’s the make/model of the trailer?

3 Likes

Take a picture of the plate on the trailer that shows the weight, so you have that info available.

Where / over what kind of terrain do you usually haul? You can get away with stuff in a flat, dry climate that becomes more of a problem in hills and frequent bad weather.

1 Like

The trailer is a ‘99 silverlite 2 horse bumper pull straight haul. I couldn’t seem to find the weight online.
When I see the trailer next I’ll check if the weight is listed on it.

I live in a pretty hilly area. We don’t normally get a lot of snow, but we do get slush and ice throughout the winter.

I’m in the camp of “buy a heavier/bigger truck than you think you will need”. I know others won’t agree and I’m ok w that. One scary situation will change your mind. I hope you find what you need/want.

8 Likes

Curious to see what recommendations you receive. I love Tundra for hauling but hate the gas mileage. 15 mpg w/o trailer…

1 Like

I think the same thing, and I was disappointed to discover that the hybrid trucks only come in the lighter models.

2 Likes

I’m not sure the technology is available yet and if it is, I probably can’t afford it. I’m also not sure I want to be the test pilot for a new hybrid truck. Getting stuck somewhere with horses sucks. Not to mention, not having the power when you need it.

7 Likes

Oh wow! I would have thought a Tundra would get better fuel economy than that!

I have a 2016 RAM 3500 cab and chassis with a flatbed, that is totally stock, and get 17 mpg on the highway unloaded.

My husband’s company truck is a 2022 RAM 1500, with a V-8 Hemi, and it averages around 22 mpg on the highway.

His last truck was a 2017 Chevy Silverado with an V-8, which averaged mpg in the higher mid 20s. We did use the Silverado to tow a small U-Haul trailer loaded with household goods for one of our kids, and it handled it fine, but that’s not a live load.

All trucks are 4 X 4.

3 Likes

That’s what I am hauling with now and it does a good job. When it comes time to replace it I would love to have the Tundra hybrid!

1 Like

In its defense, it does spend a bunch of time idling while I load it with my muck buckets. I have a unique system involving a large collection of muck buckets that I dump on an easement once a week or so. Computer says it gers 10 mpg bit that’s hauling and idling.

3 Likes

Past threads have pretty much concluded that fuel economy and towing ability are, for the most part, mutually exclusive. :rofl: But I guess it depends on what kind of mpg you really want, and how far you commute.

Our gas 2015 Ram 2500 averages about 14mpg over all the driving I do - it’s so low because I have to drive 4 miles on windy gravel roads (35mph, lots of hills) just to get to the pavement, and I use the trailer every couple weeks (~8-10 mpg with a heavy steel 3H) . Highway with no trailer could get close to 20mpg if you live somewhere that going 55-60mph won’t get you honked at, and don’t have a lead foot.

1 Like

A 1500 truck will be just fine for pulling a 2 horse bumper pull trailer. A 2500 or 3500 isn’t necessary, and will complicate your commuting and parking as an only vehicle. Driving a 2500 or 3500 in a parking deck is an adventure unto itself. All the truck size parking spaces will likely be already taken by drivers of smaller cars, leaving you with no choices.

Personally, I would take a close look at the new GMC Sierra 1500EV truck. It has a range of 400 miles and is rated to tow 9,500 pounds - of course the range while towing will be significantly less.

5 Likes

Does anyone here have any experience hauling with a completely electric vehicle?
I would think that the electric engine would have less “oomph” than a gas/ hybrid engine?

1 Like

Mine (08 Tundra) gets around 10 mpg with the trailer behind it. :grimacing:

I was facing this same conundrum and I decided to buy a hybrid Camry and an older Tundra instead of one vehicle—together they cost about what a new Tundra might. Some days I have regrets when I’m once again fixing or spending money on something in the truck, but most of the time, I enjoy getting 60 on my daily trip to the barn. There just weren’t any hauling vehicles that got good fuel economy unless I bought a Euro trailer. I haul maybe 1-2x/month on average, so I couldn’t justify a newer vehicle for it.

5 Likes

I think this is a good idea. You’ll probably do a lot more commuting than hauling, so a nice car with good gas mileage makes sense. Buy a good quality used truck for hauling.

As for how much truck you need–I have a 12 foot stock trailer for my horses, and I haul with a Ford F150. My load is well within the truck’s limits, but even so the truck really doesn’t like our hills when I’m hauling a horse. Theoretically I should be able to haul 2 horses, but I’m not sure the truck could handle it. Fortunately for me, that doesn’t matter because most of my hauling is just to take a horse to the vet or haul my riding horse a short distance. But if I was doing a lot of hauling, or needed to haul both horses at the same time, I would want a truck with more muscle.

2 Likes

Lord no. Electric motors are glorious (and destructive lol) because their torque is immediately available. They have to use programming to tone it down so the drivetrain doesn’t snap. Look up some of the electric sports cars - they can DUST gas engines handily.

It’s the range that is the trouble spot for them.

10 Likes

Look at videos and reviews on YouTube if you’re thinking of an EV. Your range will plummet when towing and you might have a hard time finding a charging station that doesn’t require unhooking the trailer on a road trip. I would not go that route unless I was really only towing very very locally and even then I would be hesitant.

6 Likes

Yikes! My 2019 3500 Ram gets 16 on the hwy with no trailer, 14-15 around town, 12 hauling (usually over at least one mountain pass).
I would have thought a Toyota anything would get great mileage!

3 Likes