Unlimited access >

Hypothetical commission on weanling

Hi, I’ll most likely be offering my foal, when weaned, for sale. I’ll be letting the stallion owner know in case someone is interested in their stallion’s get. Their babies usually sell quickly so won’t be competing with their crop.
If the stallion owner passes my info to a potential buyer and they buy my weanling, what is the % rate would I send the stallion owner?
Is it commission or finders fee?
I want to do the right thing if it actually happens.

Thanks a bunch!

This is the type of question you need to ask and agree on with the stallion owner prior to the situation happening.

Ask them how they typically handle this situation and go from there.

1 Like

a horse is a horse said Wilbur Soot, I would expect to pay the going rate on a horse regardless of age, ten to twenty percent?

https://www.tiktok.com/@oldtvshowthemes/video/7144446088467041579

Ok, I get that.
I was just wondering what it would be considered, a finders fee- because they just gave my contact info to someone or full commission?
I would think a full commission would warrant doing more. They won’t have seen the baby in person and wouldn’t be doing anything other than passing my info along.
This is why I wanted to have this conversation with you all because people get insulted and I don’t want hard feelings talking with the stallion owner. I’d rather know what the common practice is going in and then talking with them.

1 Like

Just ask them. Expectations can be such a huge range that figuring out what other people do is probably not relevant to what that individual stallion owner will want. I would tend to expect that it’s 0 dollars for sharing some pics on facebook with your phone number and 10-15% for networking and delivering you a willing buyer.

2 Likes