Unlimited access >

HYPP Dietary Suggestions?

SO, it looks like our rescue mare has hypp. This is not yet confirmed, but we’ve seen three separate episodes so the diet’s getting changed to see if that has any effect.

I have next to no background info on this old gal; we picked her up from a scrap yard where she was running free with a mini pig for the last six years. No farrier, no vet. They told me she came from a lesson barn, but their daughter who she’d been purchased for was scared of her. She’s definitely well broke from having hopped on her in the round pen a couple of times, but has the typical burned-out school horse attitude.

Anyway, this isn’t a disorder I have any experience feeding but from what I understand potassium is the major player. Right now she’s quite chunky, and is on minimal grain - beet pulp & purina equalizer.
She was getting a small portion of alfalfa with her breakfast, but that’s right out.
Just wondering whether it would be necessary to test my hay at this point, or just take her off the richer second cut and stick with the stemmy first cut?

Any advice from those who’ve dealt with this would be wonderful!

Yes, you do need to get the hay tested, as that alone can be enough potassium as to trigger attacks, and you can’t know its potassium level by its look or cutting.

Even if you are feeding less than the safe level of potassium, if you feed too much in a single meal it can trigger an attack. IIRC the intake should be less than 33gm in a feeding, and no more than 1.1% of the total diet.

Beet pulp is fine - it’s low in potassium. The Equalizer may be fine too, just check the level, but if she’s fat, she doesn’t need that anyway, and I’d do a v/m supplement with added Tri-Amino/Nutramino unless the hay tests high enough in protein.

I’m going to see where the closest lab is that can test my hay - we just moved to a new area, so I’m floundering a bit. Will check with my horsey contacts though; hopefully they have a recommendation. Current aim is to get under 1% potassium per day.

From everything I understand, the beet pulp isn’t safe due to the molasses content (molasses being fairly high in potassium). Equilizer’s guaranteed analysis for potassium is listed at 1%… but I have no idea whether that’s 1% per lb., per bag etc… so time to give 'em a call I think.
Equilizer is just a ration balancer to make sure she’s getting her v/m. She’s not a fan of supplements, so its easiest to get her v/m with a pellet. Of course if its too high in potassium, I’ll have to come up with a way to trick her into eating vitamins!

The form of potassium in plants is very water soluble. It comes out easily with soaking and draining. Hot water works better if you want to be extra vigilant.
http://www.safergrass.org/pdf/SoakReport2.pdf

I would think beet pulp is fine as long as you soak and drain off the water.
The % listed on feed bags is per lb and per bag. Percentage is 1 part in 100 of whatever.
Thanks for taking in a needy horse.
Katy

That’s good, but don’t stress if it’s still about 1%. 1.1% is, I think, considered a safe upper limit, not exactly a hard stop but pretty close

From everything I understand, the beet pulp isn’t safe due to the molasses content (molasses being fairly high in potassium).

You can get plain molasses, and then if you add water and drain it, it would be fine. But, given the chunky status, you’re not going to be using a lot of beep anyway. My fatties get 3 dry cups which are then soaked. That’s about 1/3 of a pound of my shreds.

Equilizer’s guaranteed analysis for potassium is listed at 1%… but I have no idea whether that’s 1% per lb., per bag etc… so time to give 'em a call I think.

454gm in a pound, so 1% of that is 4.5gm, so you’re safe there. The % of X nutrient listed on a bag is that same % whether you’re using 1oz or 1lb of 1kg or 10lb.

Equilizer is just a ration balancer to make sure she’s getting her v/m. She’s not a fan of supplements, so its easiest to get her v/m with a pellet. Of course if its too high in potassium, I’ll have to come up with a way to trick her into eating vitamins!

And IMVHO, ration balancers are too much for fatties :wink: 3c of beet pulp, then soaked, is voluminous enough to hide all but the most voluminous supplements. Try it :slight_smile:

Have her tested. There are other muscle diseases to consider as well- GBED and PSSM1. Then you will know how best to proceed.
If she has papers you can do it through AQHA along with the other two - HERDA and MH

you can have them done here as well
https://www.animalgenetics.us/Equine/Genetic_Disease/Index.asp

I have one, HYPP N/H
Fed whole Oats and farm grown grass/tim hay.
Pastured 10-14 hours day.
Absolutely no supplements, especially salt/mineral blocks & electrolytes.