Unlimited access >

HYPP/Impressive

I have in my mind now I would like to get a QH or stock type horse with QH bloodlines. In researching pedigrees, I do see a lot of Impressive still, back 4 or 5 generations. Is HYPP a concern in these horses? Should they be tested for it or PSSM before purchase? I’ve always had TBs so this is new territory for me. Thanks!

Most any horse today that go back to Impressive should have in the registration papers his HYPP status, look for N/N.

Many registered quarter horses today are advertised testing 5/N, 5 panel negative:

https://www.aqha.com/-/genetic-test-roundup

Maybe look for that or request it in your PPE?

1 Like

If he’s registered, his parents had to be tested (assuming he’s not so old he was bred before the requirement), so look at those papers if at all possible. If that’s not possible, then just test for HYPP, PSSM and IMM. Those are the ones you need to know for managing him to the best of your ability.

Yes. HYPP is a concern. Unfortunately some breeders are still breeding affected (N/H) horses. Definitely test before you buy. It’s not expensive.https://vgl.ucdavis.edu/test/hypp

Don’t ever let anyone talk you into buying an H/H or N/H horse.

7 Likes

What disciplines do you have in mind for your stock type horse with QH bloodlines. Depending on what disciplines, you should be able, I would think, to find something that is Impressive-free.

1 Like

It may be more cost effective to get a 5 panel test rather than test individually for those 3 things.

OP definitely find out the 5 panel status on any stock type you consider purchasing, whether you test yourself or verify through parentage.

7 Likes

5 panel plus is $95.00 via U.C. Davis. Well worth it.

2 Likes

Thanks all. I have been looking at taller HUS horses and Impressive came up in two of them. He is 5 generations back but kind of surprised he was in them. One is by a QH stallion and out of a TB mare. So if the stallion is N/N it is okay, right? How about N/H?

yep, thanks for the reminder!

Not all that surprising, as Impressive was actually a useful, using horse, from whom there are lots and lots of HUS and WP horses, not just Halter or anything else.

Yes, if the stallion is verified N/N and the dam is TB, the foal has to be N/N

But if either parent is N/H, you need to make sure the offspring is tested.

1 Like

N/N is OK. N/H is not. If the stallion is N/H you must test the offspring, no matter what mare he is bred to.

2 Likes

Impressive was at one time a leading sire of performance horses, so it shouldn’t be a big surprise. Often you’ll see Coosa show up in hunter pedigrees. He was a grandson of Impressive if memory serves, and at one time was known to be the sire of some nice HUS horses.

3 Likes

If a horse is N/H, two main reasons not to buy it.
First, best keep him on the proper management, even if horse doesn’t has symptoms yet.
You never know when those may start.

Second, why keep buying those horses?
If there is absolutely NO market for them, no one will buy them, those unethical breeders that still use any not N/N will go out of business.
There is no excuse today to breed any other than N/N.

2 Likes

I don’t think the OP is asking if they should buy an N/H animal, but if the offspring of an N/H stallion or mare needs to be tested for HYPP before buying.

I agree with you, there is no excuse for breeding horses that carry a well known, easily tested for, often deadly, autosomal dominant genetic defect. It has been known for decades that N/H horses are often unwell and that many will die, and that continuing to breed and produce them is the height of irresponsibility.

Yet here we are, still having the conversation. :angry:

4 Likes

So if the stallion’s website just says they test negative, does that mean they are N/N? Or could it mean they are N/H?

I would flat out ask them rather than making a potentially incorrect assumption.

2 Likes

Negative should mean N/N on any disease test. If the site says “5 panel negative” they mean all 5 tests were N/N

Hmm… most stallion ads use the N/N designation.

If you are considering the purchase ask for documentation, I wouldn’t take anyone’s word for it. I would make the 5 panel test part of the pre- purchase exam anyway, since it is smart to test for other issues as well.

The problem is there are still people today who do not believe you can get the muscle mass needed to win in the halter arena without a horse being N/H. That is why there are still N/H horses out there- some are still intentionally breeding for it.

1 Like

Yes and that sort of thinking results in many dead horses and ill ones as well, not to mention the broken hearted kids and adults that unknowingly end up with the affected discards from these breeders.

2 Likes

Yes. My friend (a trainer) purchased a gelding from a local long-time QH breeder whose farm she worked at and ended up with a HYPP horse. She wasn’t exactly informed about the genotypes and what HYPP can do. While it shouldn’t happen in this day and age, it does/did. Cover your butt!

2 Likes