Unlimited access >

I Am Getting Another Dog

So…after a lot of back and forth and looking at this breeder and that breeder and meeting litters, I have made a deposit on a male from a litter that I have anticipated for a year. I know a couple of adult dogs from this breeder and love their temperaments.

This will be my first full working line pup. I am hoping to do some rally and nose work and would like to work on therapy dog skills. I am teaching in a partial hospitalization program for ages 12-17 and the company had plans for pet therapy, but confidentiality made it impossible to bring in someone from outside. So I am hoping that my pup can fill that spot. I have the idea of training for comfort skills…a sit or down next to someone who is having a hard time in class or in group (I have two classes a day, each class has 10-11 kids and lasts 90 minutes, so in theory I would have plenty of time for potty breaks, etc. and I would get a professional to help with training).

The breeder will pick the best match for me, given my needs (including the therapy dog goal). There are four males in this litter, so I am hoping that one of them will be a match.

I am super excited to have another GSD, and super stressed about having a puppy again. My husband is not pleased, but I know my heart.

Any tips on how to deal with a pup and training and still have time to ride 3-4 days a week?
Sheilah

2 Likes

Yay!! That is so exciting. I’m love GSD’s, they are such great dogs.
No idea on finding time, mines not a puppy and I can barely find time between kids, work, exercising the dog properly.

Could you take the puppy to the barn or hubby help out a few hours?

1 Like

My working line Malinois was the best puppy. Super easy and quick to potty train, never tore anything up in the house, and slept through the night by 12 weeks old! Took considerable longer before she quit attacking my legs and playing tug of war with my pants lol

Do you have a place to play fetch? That was key for my girl. Biking once she got a bit older. Having a safe place to walk off leash was awesome when she was a puppy too.

My best advice is don’t economize on toys, treats or chew bones. You need those!

2 Likes

I hope if she boards, this is not what she does. Even if the puppy is in a crate, other boarders might object to have to listen to a whining puppy while they ride/enjoy their horses.

At 8-10 weeks, the puppy can be crated for 2-3 hours or so. That could be a good time to go to the barn and leave the puppy at home in a crate - but you have to be diligent about returning on time or it will result in an accident in the crate, which should be avoided at all costs.

Hiring a puppy walker could work though - scheduling barn time/crate time that will be relieved by someone to let the puppy out and play with it would be perfect. I used to have a college student do this when I had a puppy and worked FT. She came every day around lunch time - puppy went out, ate a small meal, went out again…played a bit, went out again, and then was happy to sleep in his crate until I got home from work.

1 Like

I have a built in puppy walker at home currently. My adult son moved back home for the stay at home order last year (COVID, although the break up with his live in GF had a lot to do with it). He is still here.
Sheilah

Oh, perfect. I would still try to implement some quiet time in the crate and it could be perfect if you are normally in the area where the crate is, but your son may not be. You can start working up a little while at a time of “crate independence” - best when you know the puppy is tired and will fall asleep naturally in the crate.

1 Like

I get it, I was spoiled that the barn manager let me put my pup in her fenced in area with her dogs. I forget not everyone is that lucky

Yay on the full time dog walker! That’s so helpful.

1 Like

We got a puppy almost 2 years ago and I ended up doing most of the care because my husband travels a lot for work (pre-covid). I was also working full time away from the house so both dogs went to daycare every work day. This was very expensive but we planned for it and it resulted in a very well socialized puppy who was usually happy to sleep at the end of the day. But it is a lot of work to keep a puppy sufficiently stimulated that it does not develop bad habits. I think you may need to dial back on the riding for a few months but it will be worth it to invest the time to get a well-balanced dog. Our pup is a delight now, but she was also significantly influenced by our awesome older dog. Also, buy a Jolly Egg dog toy. They are wonderful toys for tiring out dogs with a herding drive.

1 Like

Day care was a big help once our guy was old enough to be vaccinated. Gave me back some barn time. It is not cheap. I have eased our gut back to 2 days most weeks (he’s 4 now). Enjoy and take lots of pictures!

1 Like

Exciting!
I did therapy work with my dog through St. John Ambulance. We visited local long term care facilities. It was another test to work with children, but my dog has never been comfortable with kids so we avoid them like the plague.
If that’s something that you want to do than find someone with kids and start socializing early.

1 Like