Unlimited access >

I am so tired of whiny, rich horse [people] complaining about WEG

But really why would you think a horse event would be cancelled. We ride in most weather conditions. Hindsight is 20/20.

2 Likes

Completely agree, but the reality is that many people don’t pony up for it even given the risk. While they certainly bear sole responsibility for that choice, I know that I often feel most disappointed when I’m disappointed with myself. I also don’t think it’s uncommon to direct frustration with oneself onto others (unfairly). Even given all this, I imagine there are plenty of people who are disappointed that dressage is cancelled from a point of view that’s entirely unrelated to finances. They were just looking forward to a great trip watching the best in the world do dressage. No matter how you slice it, not being able to see the thing you’ve been looking forward to is a bummer, whether or not it could have been helped.

1 Like

Because Tryon took on the Games when Bromont was cancelled. They moved the event back a couple of weeks, knowing that the weather would be tough, but everyone had two years to prepare their horses for it. If other places (without safety issues) had stepped up to the plate and offered to host, the Games might have been held somewhere else, but no one did. At least the Tryon group tried to make it happen. Would everyone prefer we just go back to discipline championships? That’s what will happen without anyone wiling to host.

How many of those 7 major hurricanes in September that you mention have reached 300 miles inland and moved as slowly as this one is? I’ll be the number is way less than 12! Historically Tryon is a very safe place during hurricane season and a hurricane is way down the list for things that can happen at an event like this. 7 hurricanes in over 100 years of record keeping doesn’t even make a big blip on the radar for it being a huge concern when looking at the site.

Instead of everyone complaining about the “terrible planning” and lack of foresight, how about you step up and host these games the next time they come around? Or at least tell the FEI where the perfect place to have them is and how to host them on a last minute notice schedule.

10 Likes

This forum is full of complainers, don’t know about the rich part or care but what a disappointment. My horse friends are tough and most of these posts are whiny and wrong. Hurricane hitting Tryon, come on ,rain, heat but get it straight a hurricane did not hit Tryron and only a Cat1 hit the coast. Hardly worth calling it a storm.
Be glad they pulled endurance because of humidity, do you fools not get it . Humidity is what kills .

Or is this all you under 40 's spoiled by easy life you had so far and I don’t mean rich.
Its wet, the foods bad, no parking, hope thats your worst problem. Be embarrassed, I am for you.

Great post. I purchased the top of the line trip insurance policy for WEG and it was $70 per person. Considering the many thousands of dollars of non-refundable expenses this trip has cost me, that didn’t seem like an unreasonable add-on.

4 Likes

are you in Tryon?

4 Likes

They irony of people complaining on a thread about people complaining that was started by someone sick of the complaining:lol::lol::lol::lol:

22 Likes

Actually yes, I don’t really see any need for an event like WEG.

6 Likes

Vacation season is summer in the US and for many other countries due to schools being out. Coincides with hurricane season, so the entire Carribean, Central America, the East Coast, the Gulf Coast, and sometimes the West Coast and many other place that are really good vacation spots are also hurricane prone. Mother Nature happens. You get trip insurance, or not, and facilities in those areas that host events make contingency plans, or not.

From what I understand, the weather in Tryon is nowhere near hurricane like and some riders even feel that they could have competed today.

1 Like

Hindsight is always 20/20. No way to tell ahead of time if it would have been safe for horses, riders, volunteers and spectators. Some of the winds we got this morning would have been pretty miserable (and I’m west and a little south of Tryon, so they would have gotten worse).

4 Likes

A major European facility was ready, willing and able to take the WEG at the last minute and the FEI wouldn’t step up to the plate.

2 Likes

:frowning: it’s about the only event that allows us junkies to see so many sports at top level. It is a shame that the financial implications are not positive for the hosts. It is certainly a wonderful thing for spectators.

2 Likes

Yeah just rotate it between aachen and khp. Drop endurance.

7 Likes

The logistics of pulling off an event of this size seems prohibitive - I love all horses and would try to see as much as possible at event like this. But how many more people go to just see one thing (which isn’t a bad thing)? The cost of traveling, tickets, food/lodging etc. seems like it would weed out most “casual” equestrians.

Personally, I hate lines/crowds, especially in the summer months. I would prefer to attend an event that is a more manageable size. I am glad to read about the positive experiences that people actually at WEG have had, despite a few hiccups that are likely due to having only 2 years to get ready, and the weather (yes, it’s hurricane season and hot in the south. How do people survive horse show season in the US?)

It is disappointing, and I feel for those who have planned for this. I would have loved to see how Charlotte Dujardin’s and Carl Hester’s young horses handled the freestyle, along with everyone else that qualified. I hope there is a solution for ticket holders.

Can you get a refund through trip insurance if the entire event isn’t cancelled? To give an example: a friend of mine bought an all-inclusive trip to Cuba, and trip insurance. A couple weeks before her departure date, Cuba got walloped with a hurricane. Her resort, along with most of that part of Cuba, had no running water, no reliable power, etc AND the Canadian gov’t issued an official travel advisory to NOT go to Cuba. Friend couldn’t get trip insurance to pay out because the resort was technically open and was accepting guests.

So, if WEG was still a go, but traveller decided not to go due to weather or other concerns, would trip insurance pay out?

You could have it at Ơamorín, too, and keep endurance. None of the three actually want it, though. (At least not on the FEI’s terms; according to news reports, Ơamorín bailed on 2022 when they saw the FEI host city contract.)

Trip insurance doesn’t cover events being cancelled due to weather. It covers the insured if they are unable to travel due to illness or other unforeseen circumstance,

3 Likes

There are forms of trip insurance that will cover weather related issues. Different policies will cover different things though, so it’s always savvy to double (and triple) check what your concern is & then ensure the policy covers it!

1 Like

No, that is not true in my policy’s case. I called and specifically asked about event tickets for this policy. Fully covered. This was through World Nomads. My entire trip is covered if I can’t make it (per their list, major weather being one), my tickets if the event is cancelled (again, weather being an acceptable cause), my rental car if someone hits it, or any of a long list of things that would require my being reimbursed. I chose their top policy and it was $70 per person.

1 Like

This is very good to know, thanks! I am not sure why people think TIEC owes a refund for a hurricane. I am going to be out about $2500 if I can’t make it this week and that really sucks. That being said, it is not anyone’s FAULT that the weather went to shit and I may or may not be able to get there. I am so sick of the American victim mentality. It is always someone’s fault and you are owed something, call the lawyers. Sometimes sh*% just happens and that is life. It’s not WEG’s fault that Florence showed up. It’s not Wal-Mart’s fault that you ventured out in an ice storm and broke your ankle. Etc etc. Everyone please stop complaining. If you don’t think the world needs a WEG, don’t go! I LOVE the idea and am very excited to go and had an awesome time in 2010. I will understand if they stop doing it, as it is very expensive and difficult to pull off, but I think it is a fabulous showcase of top talent and a great way to enjoy the best of the best and learn about other disciplines. Negative Nancy’s are welcome to stay home and complain on their keyboards. I hope to make it there and plan to have a fabulous time. Life, including the WEG, is what you make it!

12 Likes