I bought a pony! Meet Lola

Sorry to hear that, but sometimes the stress of impending doom is worse than the doom itself. I hope that will be the case for you, and that you will have a soft landing.

7 Likes

And as for Lola … no new photos but she is settling in.

But the breeder describes her as “sad” right now, because her best friend Jewel is off at the repro vet being prepared for breeding (she is a 14 year old maiden.) And poor Lola hasn’t really integrated into the herd, which has some very bossy mares. Anne (her breeder) says she doesn’t have any bite marks, so that’s good, but when a mean mare flattens her ears and lunges at Lola, Lola just doesn’t know what to do. She will move away but a lot of times just stands there. It’s clear she really just wants to be friends with everyone; she bosses Jewel around when Jewel is there, but it’s pretty benign. Lola gets her hay separately so she doesn’t get run off it.

With the humans, however, she’s clearly a favorite. Kids love her, and she loves them back, and the woman I mentioned who had lost her pony comes over almost every day to spend time with Lola.

I am hoping to visit her sometime in the next few months.

16 Likes

I’m so sorry it has come to this. Jingling for the right opportunity at the right time, when you are ready.

Hugs,
Rebecca

4 Likes

I got lucky! Anne posted a photo of Lola trying to get to these girls. She’s adorably filthy and fuzzy.

19 Likes

I’m sorry, Anne. The stress of having a job go bad is really unpleasant. I hope you get to relax a bit and enjoy the spring weather then ease into a more compatible work arrangement.

Many years ago, I felt like my job was slipping through my fingers for reasons I couldn’t really identify. I asked my boss if I was at risk. He said no, then fired me a week later. In retrospect, leaving that job was the best thing that could have happened to me, but it was miserable at the time.

15 Likes

So. Stinkin. Cute. She will learn how to be in a herd eventually. I’m trying to arrange a visit in July.

Meanwhile, Feronia was a beast on today’s walk. All the horses at the barn were feeling a bit feral for some reason. Feronia was pushy and dancey and distracted. I decided to longe her, say 3 lazy trot circles in each direction at the arena when we got back, and Mah Fool Mare decided to leap into the air and take off at a canter. I couldn’t get her to stop; she was just wild! Eventually she remembered that she’s old, and Behaved. (She turned 26 yesterday.) I hardly ever longe her because it’s really not good for her old joints.

20 Likes

Best butt views ever! Lola is a happy mare.

28 Likes

She does look happy! It’s nice to see her fitting in so well. Do you know the bay that is running ahead of her in the photos? Looks like a cute little thing and reminds he of a mare I used to own.

If it’s the very round bright bay, that is Ancan Color Matinee, I think. She just had a super adorable spicy little bay filly.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the one! She looks like she’s very old type from the rear view. Love her color too.

She’s a very solid mare. Big bone, really nice conformation, built for fancy driving with a short back, upright head carriage, and laid-back shoulder.

I’m still trying to figure out when to go visit Lola.

3 Likes

New photos of Jewel (L) and Lola ®. Still very happy mares.

I’m postponing my visit until early October. Hopefully the weather will be good. Anne has ridden Lola and says she likes her a lot, as she’s pretty sensible but still zesty - not a beginner’s pony, she says!

15 Likes

Great pictures! I love the dog running with the horses. :blush:

And off topic but I noticed the fence posts and wanted to mention that I like those a lot better than the metal ones. I’ve been looking at fencing since my friend brought up the caps for tee-posts. Kind of like how you don’t notice a type of vehicle until someone points one out and says they’re looking to buy one!

2 Likes

On the fence posts - my guess is they have been there for years.

My older mare is at a barn where thick wooden posts are used…but BO topped them with upside-down dog water bowls to protect them from being chewed. Silly looking, but it works.

2 Likes

It’s so nice seeing Lola looking happy.

My DH put in wood fence posts at our horse property. That was a lot of posts! It was the only part of the creation of horse facilities or the gutting/remodeling of the house for which he had any help. He hired the 16 year old son of the people who bought our suburban house.

DH rented a skid steer to drill all the holes, then set each post in concrete. Once while he was running the skid steer, he dumped it on its face, which meant he couldn’t get out. I think he had a bucket on it when it happened, so he just used the bucket to prop it back up again. I was glad I didn’t see it happen. He did an angled cut on top of each of the posts so water wouldn’t pool on them, and used a horse safe polywire similar to Centaur, seven wires including one hot wire. We lived there for 13 years, and the fence was still in great shape when we left.

I thought I was going to get a couple of minis, so that’s why he did seven wires. Then instead I bought a Hackney pony, who didn’t need wire down to the ground. The Hackney slid through the fence once when he slipped on mud, and didn’t have a mark on him after going through the fence. Luckily the fence wasn’t hot at the time.

But somehow a few years later, a deer managed to get tangled in the top wire. The school bus driver saw her tangled and called the sheriff’s office. I was at work and DH was out of town, so the deputy who came out asked my neighbor to help. He cut the top wire of the fence, not realizing it went all the way around the perimeter of two pastures plus the corral. He also didn’t realize the deer had degloved her leg, so the sheriff’s deputy shot her, and they just left her there. Had they known they were going to shoot her, they wouldn’t have cut the fence. I got home in the dark, didn’t see my fence was partly down, and didn’t see the deer carcass. My neighbor left town right after all this happened, and he called me late in the evening to tell me about it all. I went running out there to find the fence partly down, but the horses had stayed in the pasture. I spliced the fence, but couldn’t get anyone to take the deer away, and the coyotes didn’t want her. What a mess! My dog kept getting into the deer, then getting very sick. I tried to donate the deer carcass to the wolf sanctuary, and neither they nor the lion sanctuary would take it.

Rebecca

2 Likes

@quietann - FYI, I rehomed my spicy TB as well. He started to rear as an evasion and I decided I was too old for that crap. I found a lovely draft x mare from a couple who trains horses for movies. Her husband took on Finn as a training project. He watched Finn rear, shrugged his shoulders and said something to the effect of, “he doesn’t go that high.”

I went down last weekend to watch him work and they are making real progress with him. I just wasn’t willing to put myself at risk. He needs a rider (right now) who he can’t intimidate.

10 Likes

I had read another thread where you said you had rehomed him. My guess is he will be a great movie racehorse!

I am still contemplating options for Lola. With the right trainer and boarding setup, we could have a lot of fun. But I am not even riding right now. Still on my self- and doctor-imposed time off, so no money coming in.

2 Likes

I live in the same area as QA; I would just sadly throw out there that I’m not sure it’s realistic to plan on “a right trainer and boarding set up” anymore… So many barns have closed, and many of the remaining good ones are full. Driving an hour+ to get to that good barn, on top of a full-time job, in a climate that benefits from an indoor, does not make things easier. It’s possible, but finding the right set-up is not easy. So, for me, the horse has to be easy.

Regardless, I believe horse happiness is in QA’s future in some way, some time, so we will all hang in there. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Another Lola photo! Anne got out the tarp and Lola was one of the bravest horses there. But of course one of “her” girls is under the tarp, so she doesn’t care about it so much.

8 Likes

Lola update: much to my surprise, the breeder reports that Lola is now the leader of a little herdlet of 4. Says she projects a calm confident energy that these horses, two of which are worriers, find peaceful. Worrier #1 is Jewel, the mare she went to Michigan with. Worrier #2 is an older mare who is a new arrival. She’s a bit feral after a couple of years of not being handled much after her owner died. Lola took her in! The third is a 2 year old filly who’s a bit too old to hang with the yearlings, but a bit too young to hang with the “big mares.” Of course Lola is the littlest one.

This reminds me a bit of Feronia who is alert and very protective. She was a good babysitter for nervous horses, and if I gave her a job involving that, she was all business. Of course she takes care of me, too.

Per another thread, Feronia has had colic 3 times this summer. We finally have an answer: stone dust in her digestive system, which caused ulcers (not bad ones) and the vet thinks delayed gastric emptying. She’s getting treated and feeling much better.

12 Likes