I bought a pony! Meet Lola

So… solo handwalk #2 to the orchards did not go so well. We got further than last time, but then she saw some people in the distance and her brains fell out of her head. I got the full-on Morgan mare Dragon Snort ™ and a lot of jumping around, tail flipped up over her back etc. Even when we turned around to go back to the barn, it continued. She shoved me with her shoulder and I got after her and it only made things worse. She did calm down when we got back to the entrance and I let her stop and graze. She was eager to get back to the barn, but polite about it.

And we did not go fully back. Instead I led her up and down the barn owner’s driveway to the road and back, and briefly onto the road, until we were both bored and she was paying 100% attention to me. Probably about 10 times. This is the thing I thought I could do a few times a week, but it’s hard to get motivated.

I think she just really doesn’t like being solo with no other horses. She can get nervous when she has a buddy, but is so much better. I was told there was someone at the barn where I bought her that took her out alone all the time, but my guess is that person had nerves of steel - which I definitely do not - or the whole thing was a lie.

Since solo trail riding is one of my requirements, though it doesn’t have to happen right now, this whole thing may be a loss. I actually like going out with others, but Feronia could be quite ill-behaved to other horses, and she was willing to go solo, so that’s what we did. I’m still handwalking her solo several times a week. It’s also hard to get multiple people organized for a trail ride.

That old thing about buying the horse that already does the thing you want is hitting me pretty hard today.

7 Likes

Don’t give up.
When I first got him, my TB looked at trails - with or without company - as the World’s Longest Post Parade :persevere:
Jigged the whole way.
I can’t count how many times I had to turn back/leave the group & go back to the barn by myself.
It took several years before I could take him out solo on trails.
But we got there.
Enough so he’d be on the buckle & sometimes bareback.

I most definitely did not buy one already doing what I wanted :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

There must be something in the air. When I went out to ride Finn today I realized, before I put his tack on, that it would be a whole lot safer to change my plans. We had some interesting long lining manoeuvers but I’d much rather address those things from the ground.

3 Likes

It takes some of us longer to get smart and learn the harder lessons, but eventually, one way or another, we get them.

If a horse is a bit more or different that what we want/need, well, we can keep trying to make that square peg fit a round hole, some eventually do, if slightly chipped around, some just never do.

Only you know when is: “Time to hold’em, time to fold’em.” :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

It is also early winter, when THINGS (aka deer, bears, hunters, various wild and not so wild life) are afoot. Even the squirrels are somewhat threatening–if you’re a horse of a certain nature, anyway!

The unseasonable warmth in the Northeast means animals are out and about, leaving their scents all around. And I’m sure an orchard is a pretty attractive destination.

With a light gray horse and it being hunting season, I typically don’t go into the woods at all at this time of year, and I certainly wouldn’t go alone. Some of this caution is fear of hunters, but some is knowing that my horse has occasionally been snorty and prancy even in the arena. I don’t need that by myself on the trails.

Good luck!

8 Likes

You are absolutely right about our strange weather… nothing is hibernating. Trainer is hopeful that when it warms up in the spring, Lola will be less concerned about being Out There.

In the meantime I’m doing what I can to provide her with low-key encounters with Out There… but I can’t control whether there are hikers or not. The trainer pushes her just a bit more. Apparently she was really good in the orchards today except for being a bit hot coming back.

My horse who I admit I made into an arena flower will react similarly…still (at 21 yo). People in the distance get her all worked up. If they are close enough to talk to, I just ask them to speak to her. Once a human voice emanates from the body, she will usually calm down quite a bit.
We have trails available right across the road and she has done reasonably well at learning not to be just an arena horse but yeah, it can get exciting.

Ditto what Posting Trot said. I moved Kyra to the current barn in November 2 years ago. That first year it was early summer before she returned to her normal calm demeanor. My barn is on the edge of town and yes, we regularly get deer, tons of birds (which Kyra thinks are velociraptors, no matter the size) and lots of hikers and bike riders. It took that long to convince her it was all alright. All you have is time!

I don’t know if you have seen any videos by Ryan Rose…this one has a pony that is going through the worried, you aren’t there phase. Maybe you can try some ground work to work on her focus. I know you have a trainer but this is a good little video.

Keep at it. She looks like a lot of fun.

Susan

4 Likes

Ah… winter…I empathize. My boy was a complete and utter pratt of the first order in the indoor arena today… very fit horse, very cold, bright sunshine through the windows making dust columns, 3 days off, and it was a no holds barred spook fest, apparently. We trotted steady circles and did transitions for half an hour until I got some relaxed snorting and then called it good for the day. My core is quietly on fire this evening.

3 Likes

True, some horse owners have horses that have their moments and are fine with that, even like it.
There are others that, for all kinds of reasons, don’t really want to or can be safe with horses that go there regularly.

There are all kinds of horses for all kinds of people, that is the question here with the OP, does she want/needs a horse now that requires cowboying up and stick with it, not the rare time, but is who the horse is when things get tight?
Will more training help and will that horse be eventually what OP needs today?
That is the question, is the OP over horsed for what it needs at this stage in its riding life?

Myself, as someone that spent a life teaching others to ride and training horses in several disciplines, I have the skills to handle most horses thru their less than nice moments, mostly I can prevent those moments.
Being old now, I don’t want to have a horse that requires that kind of continuous attention and effort to keep sensible and accommodating.
I understand the OP’s hesitating with this active, young horse’s ways and need for more training as being suitable for her current needs.

There is a time in life where we don’t want a horse that is a challenge, but one that is a quiet partner that we can hug and pat and enjoy being around quietly, one we are not going to ask much of but to follow us at our pace.
We don’t want any more one we have to wonder every day what side of the bed it woke up that morning and if it is going to be a handful.
That is maybe something not every one understands, seems to be why the OP’s questioning this very nice horse’s suitability as is showing who she is when fresh.
I think the OP’s question is, horse is telling me who she is, should I believe it or think I can work with that and make her what I want of a horse now?

Our old instructor used to tell us to listen to the horse when it does something, is not what it does, is how, that is what you can expect of that horse.
All horses will shy at times, is what they do when they shy that determines how we handle them, the suitability to some, not other situations and handlers/riders.

13 Likes

But I’ve found that most times the problem isn’t “what’s out there,” but rather the problem is what is inside the horse. Management has a lot to do with that. It sounds like she doesn’t get many calories, and that she has sufficient turnout, but she may just need a lot more exercise if she doesn’t use her turnout by playing with other horses, etc. Or just more work period, in the ring, trotting and cantering. Of course, then they can get too fit and high when they don’t get work, so it must be consistent.

Winter is tough because young horses still have the zoomies inside them. I’ve read that those sudden bursts of energy are how horses warm themselves up. In the right circumstances, the zoomies will come busting out.

8 Likes

Oops I was trying to do a partial quote and it erased .

“And the ride the piss = they’d be out 6hrs and more concerned about where they put their feet vs which way was home! So no pussy footing with us. Not practical for everyone.”

edit to add that I would say it would take us a year to turn an OTTB around and then another yr to make them. It was a {slow} build up. Full time turnouts and horse socialization skills in a group. Then bareback halter rides in an arena space with circles and bending. Learning riders seat and aides. I found they relaxed w the bareback. Done cautiously. Lunging, esp strengthening and balancing the canter. The beginning trail rides in neighbors woods, hills and ravines for building carry muscle, balance and common sense.

2 Likes

Winter is tough. My young one was wild last night as well.

For me, I give 3 days of poor choices before they get ridden into the ground. That might not be for everyone, but it’s how I do it. Day 1 and day 2 I just get what I can, but if we’re still making crappy life choices and being outrageously spooky by day 3, it’s time for some serious sweat until we can compose ourselves.

Some weeks it’s a repeating cycle of day 1-2-3(!!!), 1-2-3 (!!!).

5 Likes

Looks like we have more than one advocate for the wet saddle pads training formula. I like Clinton Anderson’s approach.

1 Like

Good article, but I had to laugh a bit at this:

“You’ll be amazed how much more your horse remembers when he’s been ridden enough to get a little tired. I’m not saying to exhaust him; just put enough mileage on him to give him a reason to want to go slowly. It really works.”

When I got my previous OTTB, he was very high energy. I took him out to a huge field and decided I would trot/canter/gallop around it until he wanted to slow down. By the time I’d galloped 12 times around that field I was exhausted. He was still dragon breathing and ready to do more. I did eventually ride him to the point where he was tired – it took four hours of foxhunting. And he did learn to conserve his energy. But be prepared, it may take a LONG time before your horse wants to go slowly!

6 Likes

Agreed, but… we are constrained by winter, and time, and space. I do envy the people who have miles of dirt roads to ride, and an arena, and a track. Trainer and I had planned some longer trail rides but the horse she was going to have me ride went lame and is off until the spring at least. No one else at the barn is really trail riding right now. Long indoor arena rides are doable though. The larger outdoor is closed for the winter.

1 Like

I’m not wet saddle pads every time. I think a young horse has trouble separating and compartmentalizing emotions. Ride 1 and 2 help try to teach that. Ride 3 is “ok, but seriously…”.

2 Likes

That’s a conundrum. You may have to change barns or just turn her out until spring. Or both. There is no sense in getting frustrated or habituating bad behavior.

3 Likes

Agreed, I think you can find a million things to do in an arena until it’s conducive to ride out there again. The winter yaa yaas are in full effect.

I generally hate this tool, but have found it very occasionally effective - have you tried ear plugs or the sound muffling bonnets? For the plugs, I swear it’s less about sound reduction and more about it functioning almost like a light twitch - enough of a distraction that they aren’t able to hyper focus on stupid stuff.

2 Likes

This is off topic but, apropos Bogie’s point:
My previous horse was a TB. I took her to a clinic with Mark Rashid, While I was riding, he took a question from an auditor about how to deal with a horse that bolts. (This was not my problem, btw, but the auditor was working through this). Anyway, he said something like with most breeds of horses, if a horse bolts you ride them (if you can safely) at the gallop until they’re tired and then beyond the point where the horse wants to slow down. You do this to demonstrate to the horse that the rider is the one that gets to choose the pace and it’s much easier just to accept that.

But, Rashid said, if you have a TB and you try that strategy, you’ll be galloping into next week.

6 Likes

And letting TBs regularly do spanking trots or long canters to tire them out usually just increases their fitness and encourages them to be jiggy, prancing pains in the patooty for longer and longer periods. :roll_eyes:

10 Likes